Re: iron-plaster

  • crowelance@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2001
      Sand has always been used for iron casting. Remember, sand comes in different
      'grits' and you can 'face coat' with a finer sand, then follow with bigger
      stuff for strength. I poured 4 or 5 tons of cast iron into resin bonded sand
      with great results, and super detail. A couple of ceramic shell molds were
      put in the line too, worked fine.
      There is a high temp plaster like material for platinum sold by jewelry
      suppliers, might work.

      Lance Crowe
      Iron Age Design
      161 Newfound Rd.
      Leicester, N.C. 28748
    • Mr. Bill
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1 7:16 AM
        Lance Crowe wrote:

        >I poured 4 or 5 tons of cast iron into resin bonded sand
        >with great results, and super detail.

        Lance,

        What type of resin, ratio to sand and do they last more than one pouring?
        Thanks.

        Mr. Bill