Re: [hobbicast] Re: Casting Party Lexington Kentucky ****Reply

  • Stone Tool
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2004
      I highly recommend the casting party.... a great way to get ideas, and
      learn how others tackle the various issues involved in casting.... not to
      mention making useful castings. A great way to bring friends together for
      a good time, and to get others interested in casting. Gene's party was the
      highlight of my trip to Washington.
      I would also suggest expanding activities to include building simple
      equipment..... bring some tools for fabrication, refractory, ceramic wool,
      parts for building a burner, etc. Someone bring their torch.... someone
      their 110 volt wire feeder....Perhaps a forge and accessories.......Build
      someone a simple furnace, pouring shank, tongs, or whatever. I have tons
      of fabricating equipment for example.... I can build virtually
      anything..... many people do not. Simply having an acetylene torch,
      welding and brazing rod and a small wire welder available and people who
      know how to use them could make a huge difference in getting someone
      started.
      I believe that such gatherings should be promoted and expanded in scope to
      encourage involvement and experimentation. We all have different
      objectives in pursuing this activity, we have different levels of knowledge
      and experience in different areas, and we all owe much of this to others
      efforts before us and their help and encouragement, and of course their
      writings. To share with others is to enrich one's own life. Small
      effort for great reward.

      H.W.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2004
        **** Wonderfully said Howard! I would love to be able to jump into
        my mhome and start across America teaching and learning all the neat
        tricks to metal casting / engineering! Well someday!! I'm building
        the mini equipment now so to be ready when retirement calls! Ha!
        Were planning another party later in November if not sooner- I hope
        to show off a few things by then!

        Cheers Gene

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Stone Tool" <owly@t...> wrote:
        > I highly recommend the casting party.... a great way to get
        ideas, and
        > learn how others tackle the various issues involved in casting....
        not to
        > mention making useful castings. A great way to bring friends
        together for
        > a good time, and to get others interested in casting. Gene's
        party was the
        > highlight of my trip to Washington.
        > I would also suggest expanding activities to include
        building simple
        > equipment..... bring some tools for fabrication, refractory,
        ceramic wool,
        > parts for building a burner, etc. Someone bring their torch....
        someone
        > their 110 volt wire feeder....Perhaps a forge and
        accessories.......Build
        > someone a simple furnace, pouring shank, tongs, or whatever. I
        have tons
        > of fabricating equipment for example.... I can build virtually
        > anything..... many people do not. Simply having an acetylene
        torch,
        > welding and brazing rod and a small wire welder available and
        people who
        > know how to use them could make a huge difference in getting
        someone
        > started.
        > I believe that such gatherings should be promoted and
        expanded in scope to
        > encourage involvement and experimentation. We all have different
        > objectives in pursuing this activity, we have different levels of
        knowledge
        > and experience in different areas, and we all owe much of this to
        others
        > efforts before us and their help and encouragement, and of course
        their
        > writings. To share with others is to enrich one's own life.
        Small
        > effort for great reward.

        H.W.