Small silver castings

  • Andrew Werby
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2004
      > jagamon2 wrote:
      >
      > > Hi - my name's Jeff and I just joined the group. I have a question
      > > for the group, if you will. I'm interested in casting small silver
      > > items for ornaments and jewellery, the largest items being 2 or 3
      > > ounces at most. What would you recommend as the best method?

      [Either centrifugal or vacuum casting would likely work. The main thing is
      to overcome the surface tension that keeps a small amount of metal from
      filling a mold. Some vacuum units are dual-purpose- you get a bell jar on
      one side for debubblizing the investment, and a rubber ring on the other
      side for setting the mold on, which sucks from the bottom and draws the
      metal into the mold. In the quantities you mention, you can melt the metal
      with a torch (an air-acetylene plumber's torch works fine), either in the
      small crucible mounted on the centrifugal casting machine, or in a "melting
      dish" if you're vacuum casting:
      http://alpha-supply.com/search/index.php?searchtype=descr&searchterm=melting+dish&x=32&y=8. ]

      I'm
      > > starting this as a hobby, but may develop it into a small business if
      > > things work out.

      [It's a tough way to make a living - you should check out the price of
      custom casting before assuming you can compete. ]

      Oh - and I can build almost any electro-mechanical
      > > device - I've spent 20 years working on large computer peripherals.

      [There are some pretty fancy casting machines out there, with electronic
      monitoring of metal temperatures, etc. You might be able to find a great
      deal on a fixer-upper...]

      > > Is there a good beginners book out there I should buy? Thanks.
      > >
      > > Jeff

      [I liked Murray Bovin's book: "Centrifugal or Lost Wax Jewelry Casting" but
      I'm not sure it's still in print.]

      Andrew Werby
      www.unitedartworks.com