Burner questions from a newbie.

  • allevrot
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 9, 2004
      I've finished building my first furnace, with homemade refractory
      (perlite + furnace cement) and am now about to start working on the
      burner for it.

      It is about a 1 cubic foot for a chamber. I have a 1.5 bar (about 21
      psi) gas regulator 'in stock', which will be hooked onto a 20 or 30
      Lb gas bottle. It will be naturally aspirated, hence no blowers.

      I'll be melting Aluminium for a start to learn.

      What size burner tube/bell combination and gas jet orifice diameter
      are recomended? What would the expected melt time roughly be with
      your suggested combinations?
    • gene98329
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 10, 2004
        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "allevrot" <vicvella@m...> wrote:
        > I've finished building my first furnace, with homemade refractory
        > (perlite + furnace cement) and am now about to start working on the
        > burner for it.
        >
        > It is about a 1 cubic foot for a chamber. I have a 1.5 bar (about
        21
        > psi) gas regulator 'in stock', which will be hooked onto a 20 or 30
        > Lb gas bottle. It will be naturally aspirated, hence no blowers.
        >
        > I'll be melting Aluminium for a start to learn.
        >
        > What size burner tube/bell combination and gas jet orifice diameter
        > are recomended? What would the expected melt time roughly be with
        > your suggested combinations?

        ***** I would recommend the "Book" by Micheal Porter, "Gas Burners
        for Forges, Furnaces,and Kilns. Available on Amazon.com
        I have built and use his style burners and can say with out
        reservation that they work great! I use a 1/2" in my 30 # freon can
        furnace with a melt time of about 15 to 20 minutes from a cold start.
        I also use a 3/8" burner in My Coffee Can furnace, using a 1 # throw
        away bottle with about the same results. Speed of melt is directly
        related to what your melting. We were getting good results with the
        lid off the furnace this past weekend melting a car wheel which was
        broken into large pieces and couldn't fit into the melting pot.
        There are many other designs that also work if you do a search of the
        web and this site.

        Gene
        Gig Harbor, Wa.
      • Robert Paty
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 10, 2004
          What size orfice did you use on the 3/8 burner?

          : > I've finished building my first furnace, with homemade refractory
          : > (perlite + furnace cement) and am now about to start working on the
          : > burner for it.
          : >
          :
[...]
          : This list is for discussion of metal casting
          : and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share
          sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          : Please visit our sponsor: Budget Casting Supply
          : http://budgetcastingsupply.com/
          :
          : Files area and list services are at:
          otherwise solved contact the list owner by email:
          : owly@...
          :
          :
          : Yahoo! Groups Links
          :
          :
          :
          :
          :
          :
          :
        • gene98329
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 10, 2004
            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Paty" <patyr@n...> wrote:
            > What size orfice did you use on the 3/8 burner?
            >
            > *****It depends on what I'm melting, but my standard one is the
            Tweeco .030, and I tried a .023 today and it works even smoother.
            The style 14 T tips with the taper work the best.

            Gene
          • gene98329
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 11, 2004
              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "gene98329" <gene@h...> wrote:
              > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Paty" <patyr@n...> wrote:
              > > What size orfice did you use on the 3/8 burner?
              > >
              > > *****It depends on what I'm melting, but my standard one is the
              > Tweeco .030, and I tried a .023 today and it works even smoother.
              > The style 14 T tips with the taper work the best.
              >
              > Gene

              ++++++http://www.thermadyne.com/ta/literature/pdfs/sales/64_9705.pdf

              Take a look here for all the tip info and more than you ever wanted
              to know about Tweeco stuff!