RE: [hobbicast] Re: Heat treatment salts.

  • Colin Croucher
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hi Fella's

      Another way to do your heat treatment is to
      use a muffle (cast iron or steel box), place
      your work pieces to be heat treated in the muffle.

      Use ground charcoal to totally surround all the
      pieces in the muffle, place the muffle in the
      furnace and heat for specified time & temp etc.

      Then quench in suitable oil or whatever is
      required for the hardening.

      The muffle and charcoal method can also be used for
      annealing steel parts.

      Hope this helps

      Cheers
      Col Croucher

      http://myhomefoundry.com

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
        Or any container that won't let air in. Old guys used to pack leather
        around it and surround it with clay. The leather would burn off and
        case harden the steel.
        LL

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Colin Croucher" <coljan@d...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Fella's
        >
        > Another way to do your heat treatment is to
        > use a muffle (cast iron or steel box), place
        > your work pieces to be heat treated in the muffle.
        >
        > Use ground charcoal to totally surround all the
        > pieces in the muffle, place the muffle in the
        > furnace and heat for specified time & temp etc.
        >
        > Then quench in suitable oil or whatever is
        > required for the hardening.
        >
        > The muffle and charcoal method can also be used for
        > annealing steel parts.
        >
        > Hope this helps
        >
        > Cheers
        > Col Croucher
        >
        > http://myhomefoundry.com

      • Dick Morris
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
          IIRC, in some of my old English magazines and books, bone meal was specified.

          At 05:07 AM 9/1/2004, creepinogie@... wrote:
          >Or any container that won't let air in. Old guys used to pack leather
          >around it and surround it with clay. The leather would burn off and
          >case harden the steel.

          Dick Morris
          Anchorage, Alaska
        • creepinogie@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2004
            Yes, leather, bonemeal, or anything organic will contain carbon.
            The leather thing was what we did when I was into black powder.
            LL
            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Dick Morris <rmorris@a...> wrote:
            > IIRC, in some of my old English magazines and books, bone meal was
            specified.

            > At 05:07 AM 9/1/2004, creepinogie@y... wrote:
            > >Or any container that won't let air in. Old guys used to pack
            leather
            > >around it and surround it with clay. The leather would burn off and
            > >case harden the steel.
            >
            > Dick Morris
            > Anchorage, Alaska
          • kiwiavi
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4, 2004
              Thanks to those who responded. Most of the replies have been about
              surrounding the items with carbon, bone meal, leather etc. This
              process adds carbon to the base metal which case hardens the outside
              of the steel. Not what I needed.

              I had some SS to heat treat at 1040 deg C and drop into oil. The SS
              had to be in a neutral atomsphere to stop scaling. I made a SS can
              and filled it with Argon and placed it into the furnace and heated
              the complete unit. It appeared to work.

              However I am still in search for DIY neutral salts.

              Thanks Wallace