Thermocouples ??s

  • coldtoo2000
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 31 9:18 PM
      Hi guys,

      I built Dan Hartmans improved furnace w/ his dimmer control, but would
      like to build a temp control or at least a thermometer to moniter it.

      I've seen several K type thermocouples (mostly probes for digital
      thermometers), but few seem to go up to 1800*F or so.

      ??s are:

      what type have you had luck with (bead, air probe, special)?

      Will I need to sheild or insulate it (have seen ceramic beads on some)?

      Where can I buy one, or better scrounge a suitable unit?

      P.S. The furnace works well, I use 6kw Kenthal type electric (space
      heating) furnace elements. $8 new.
    • Leon Risenhoover
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
        "I" tc's are good up to 2400F but at that temp ceramic beads melt. the tc
        should be shielded but at the price you can afford to change them I was told
        by federal corp. here in okc they were $7.50 for just the tc. I got a high
        temp ceramic sheath ( usually used with "B" and "R" tc's)with mine and MY
        cost was 70 bucks have a look at there web site they have a technical
        library that will answer allot of questions
        http://www.federalcorp.com/
        > I built Dan Hartmans improved furnace w/ his dimmer control, but would
        > like to build a temp control or at least a thermometer to moniter it.
        >
        > I've seen several K type thermocouples (mostly probes for digital
        > thermometers), but few seem to go up to 1800*F or so.
        >
        > ??s are:
        >
        > what type have you had luck with (bead, air probe, special)?
        >
        > Will I need to sheild or insulate it (have seen ceramic beads on some)?
        >
        > Where can I buy one, or better scrounge a suitable unit?
        >
        > P.S. The furnace works well, I use 6kw Kenthal type electric (space
        > heating) furnace elements. $8 new.
        >

        > This list is for discussion of metal casting
        > and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share
        sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        otherwise solved contact the list owner by email:

      • Frank Hasieber
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
          Hi, just looking in one of my reference books, Johnson Matthey in the UK
          supply platinum based thermocouples that operate at temps up to 1800 deg C /
          3200 F, probably very expensive though.
          Frank

          I built Dan Hartmans improved furnace w/ his dimmer control, but would
          like to build a temp control or at least a thermometer to moniter it.

          I've seen several K type thermocouples (mostly probes for digital
          thermometers), but few seem to go up to 1800*F or so.

          ??s are:

          what type have you had luck with (bead, air probe, special)?

          Will I need to sheild or insulate it (have seen ceramic beads on some)?

          Where can I buy one, or better scrounge a suitable unit?

          P.S. The furnace works well, I use 6kw Kenthal type electric (space
          heating) furnace elements. $8 new.

          This list is for discussion of metal casting
          and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share
          sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          otherwise solved contact the list owner by email:

          ---
          Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

          ---
        • Keith Bowers
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
            On Sunday 01 August 2004 12:18 am, coldtoo2000 wrote:
            > Hi guys,
            >
            > I built Dan Hartmans improved furnace w/ his dimmer control, but would
            > like to build a temp control or at least a thermometer to moniter it.
            >
            > I've seen several K type thermocouples (mostly probes for digital
            > thermometers), but few seem to go up to 1800*F or so.
            >
            > ??s are:

            Take a look at:
            http://www.electronichoard.com/thermocouple.html
            I know nothing about the company; just saw their ad in Nuts&Volts.
            --
            Keith Bowers - Thomasville, NC
          • ashtonrsmiller
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "coldtoo2000" <coldtoo2000@y...>
              wrote:
              > Where can I buy one, or better scrounge a suitable unit?

              Omega is probably THE source for such things. For all necessary
              information see:

              http://www.omega.com/prodinfo/thermocouple.html

              This page has links to technical and product information.

              Bob
            • Leon Risenhoover
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
                ok I found my book on tc's
                T =-320 to700fF
                J=32to1400F
                E=32 to1600F
                K=32 to2000F
                R or S =32 to2500F

                There are others but they MUST be used with a tube and are subject to shock
                (very brittle) Special note: you should tell the wife you are going to
                buy one of them. that way when she says YOU SPENT $$$$$$$ ON WHAT? you can
                say "but you said it was ok"

                now then, they will measure above and below these temps but they won't be
                as accurate.
                as for the protection tubes, it depends on what you are going to be doing
                with them. as for metal tubes,
                Carbon steel (1000F) has the lowest rating and
                Kanthal (22% Cr 5%Al, balanced iron) has the highest (2300F) for molten
                aluminum ,cast iron (whitewashed) or Refrax (refrax is a ceramic composition
                tube(Silicon-nitride or Bonded silicone carbide)) as for the later Quartz
                has the lowest at 3200F and 99+% pure Alumina has the highest at 3400F.
                if you have a specific application I will look it up for you.
              • Leon Risenhoover
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 2, 2004
                  http://www.cappusa also has tc's but in the USA
                  > Hi, just looking in one of my reference books, Johnson Matthey in the UK
                  > supply platinum based thermocouples that operate at temps up to 1800 deg C
                  /
                  > 3200 F, probably very expensive though.
                  > Frank

                • Michael
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 29, 2004
                    --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Leon Risenhoover <lrisen@d...> wrote:
                    > ok I found my book on tc's
                    > T =-320 to700fF
                    > J=32to1400F
                    > E=32 to1600F
                    > K=32 to2000F
                    > R or S =32 to2500F

                    Are you sure about these? I was just looking at the Omega
                    thermocouple chart on my wall and saw:
                    T -454 to 752 deg F
                    K -454 to 2501 deg F
                    R -58 to 3214 deg F

                    I know that my temp controller with type K reads to at least 2300F.

                    Most of the thermocouple wires are listed as less range, but thats the
                    insulation rating not the TC itself.

                    Michael
                  • Leon Risenhoover
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 29, 2004
                      true they will read something above and below what i posted but....... below
                      it may not be correct and above it can damage them. also the smaller gage 28
                      as opposed to 14 the hi limit will be lower "K" #14 2000F 28# 1600F and also
                      the manufacture will have different ratings. as with any type of "equipment"
                      you should go by "there" ratings. Honeywell may one thing and eclipse may
                      say another I use Honeywell for my stuff because my dealer's sales man is
                      "to helpful" he really knows his stuff (he has answers to questions that I
                      don't know the questions) LOL