Re: Suppliers in Tampa?

  • Rich Macys
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 30, 2004
      Here in Tampa we have some really fine sand. If you look around
      the areas around the bay where there is a lot of runoff it will be
      so fine that it looks dusty. My front yard looks like someone dumped
      bags of sugar in the yard after a heavy rain. It washes down through
      the grass and will cause open patches in the yard. Petro Bond is
      probably better for my novice self but with all the sand here I cant
      beat the price of green sand. Im just devising a method for mixing
      the stuff. I think if I get a gear motor from allelectronics.com or
      one of those surplus places it will work pretty good. I can bolt the
      shaft to the middle of a plastic bucket with a lid and use a couple
      roller blade wheels on the bottom to let them support it.

      Rich

      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, sandiego@s... wrote:
      > ... no green sand can touch using a good oil bond sand. ....
      >

      > Having been in the non-ferrous foundry business for 20+ years, I'd
      > have to say that neither has an advantage as far as reproducing
      > parts..
      > Green Sand is far easier and less expensive to work with, so it
      was
      > our choice.
      > Petrobond is popular with the less-experienced, but it costs more
      > maintain.
      >
      > I used to get sand for free. I went to the city office here (San
      > Diego) and asked for a permit to clean sidewalks. They were
      amused
      > and thought I was some nut, but gave me a letter of
      authorization.