Waste il burner:

  • greeniego
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 3, 2004
      Hi Folks:
      My name is Jim from Alabama and I am a new member to the group.
      I am interested in building a waste oil burner. Several weeks ago I
      stumbled onto a site that had such a burner. The orfice was a
      smashed copper tube under pressure to atomize the oil. I'm working
      on this thing now but can not find the site again. Does anyone out
      ther know of the site? I would appreciate any help.
      Jim
    • Jim Kreter
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 3, 2004
        Jim,

        You might consider looking at Steve Chastain's
        "Build an Oil Fired Tilting Furnace",
        ISBN 9780970220318

        Much more information on a safer, scientific way
        to build a metal casting furnace. I built a non-tilting version
        using Steve's book as a guide. It works beyond expectations (!)

        I have no financial interest in Steve's books.
        YMMV

        regards,
        Jim in California

        > My name is Jim from Alabama and I am a new member to the group.
        > I am interested in building a waste oil burner. Several weeks ago I
        > stumbled onto a site that had such a burner. The orfice was a
        > smashed copper tube under pressure to atomize the oil. I'm working
        > on this thing now but can not find the site again. Does anyone out
        > ther know of the site? I would appreciate any help.
        > Jim
        >

        > This list is for discussion of metal casting
        > and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share
        sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        otherwise solved contact the list owner by email:

      • Jim Hannon
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 3, 2004
          This is not exactly what you are looking for but will work better.

          http://ww2.green-trust.org:8383/2000/biofuel/babington/default.htm

          Also try a web search on "babington burner" for more sites.

          Jim Hannon

          At 11:52 AM 7/3/2004 +0000, you wrote:
          >Hi Folks:
          >My name is Jim from Alabama and I am a new member to the group.
          >I am interested in building a waste oil burner. Several weeks ago I
          >stumbled onto a site that had such a burner. The orfice was a
          >smashed copper tube under pressure to atomize the oil. I'm working
          >on this thing now but can not find the site again. Does anyone out
          >ther know of the site? I would appreciate any help.
          >Jim

          Jim Hannon
          http://www.fmtcs.com/web/jmhannon
          42,11.90N,91,39.26W
          WB0TXL
        • charles logan
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 14, 2004
            Hello Jim,
            I don't know anything about oil burners. I was just wandering what part
            of Alabama you are in? There are at least 2 others in Alabama.

            Charles Logan
            A& B Castings

            > My name is Jim from Alabama and I am a new member to the group.
            > I am interested in building a waste oil burner. Several weeks ago I
            > stumbled onto a site that had such a burner. The orfice was a
            > smashed copper tube under pressure to atomize the oil. I'm working
            > on this thing now but can not find the site again. Does anyone out
            > ther know of the site? I would appreciate any help.
            > Jim
            >

            > This list is for discussion of metal casting
            > and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share
            sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            otherwise solved contact the list owner by email:

          • Ed Paradis
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 14, 2004
              Hey Jim, you might give this place a look-see:
              info. They have a lot of stuff on the waste oil / babbington style
              burners...

              Ed
              "Expiring minds want to know!"

            • greeniego@juno.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 14, 2004
                Ed:
                Yes, I've been on the site.
                Thanks for the tip but I don't want to use the Babington burner, too
                messy.
                Jim
              • creepinogie@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 15, 2004
                  Can you convert a used fuel oil burner? Dilute the waste oil with
                  about 1 gallon of diesel fuel per 20 gallons of waste oil and run it
                  through a filter?

                  Or make a homemade one by either running a fuel pump to pressurize or
                  put the tank up on a hill/roof to get enough pressure to vaporize the
                  oil. You should be able to just make a jet with a needle and seat and
                  you can adjust the fuel. You still need the air volume with a blower.

                  There's a guy on the Minnesota Iron range who's got a one man fuel
                  oil foundry - all homemade and quite the set up. He claims fuel oil
                  gets hotter because there's more BTU's in it. Judging by his work, he
                  knows what he's talking about. I would think a waste oil furnace
                  would operate much the same way one you would definetely need the
                  filter and perhaps more pressure because the oil is more viscous.

                  Just my thoughts...

                  Lyle

                • greeniego@juno.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 15, 2004
                    Thanks for the info. I tried to find the guy you mentioned but found
                    nothing. Does he have a web site?
                  • arcstarter
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 15, 2004
                      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, creepinogie@y... wrote:

                      > Or make a homemade one by either running a fuel pump to pressurize
                      or
                      > put the tank up on a hill/roof to get enough pressure to vaporize
                      the
                      > oil.

                      Oh man that sounds messy. Murphy's law will be sure to cause all
                      your oil to siphon itself out when you least expect it!

                      Be sure you have a reliable shutoff valve or two inline before you
                      try this!

                      -Bill
                    • greeniego@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 16, 2004
                        I have built a pressurized tank with 2 shut off valves on it. I don't
                        want all that oil to get all over my shop. I just need a burner design
                        that works.
                      • creepinogie@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 16, 2004
                          Then all you should need is a needle and seat in a venturi - I would
                          think.

                          LL

                          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, greeniego@j... wrote:
                          > I have built a pressurized tank with 2 shut off valves on it. I
                          don't
                          > want all that oil to get all over my shop. I just need a burner
                          design
                          > that works.
                        • Roy
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 17, 2004
                            JIM:
                            What part of Alabama are you from? I'm located just south of
                            Montgomery myself.

                            I had fooled around with a waste oil burner such as the ones
                            typically found on the web, but have had my best results with a home
                            heat oil fired burner that burns anything thats flammable.
                            Unfortunately they are like finding hens teeth in the south, and are
                            hard to come by. Folks up north should not have a problem getting one
                            cheap or free, but the only drawback is they are more mechanical and
                            have more moving parts but are pretty well trouble free.
                          • greeniego@juno.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 17, 2004
                              Roy:

                              I'm in Phenix City just across the bridge from Columbus, GA. Where did
                              you get your burner? I haven't investigated any oil fired forced air
                              heater burners but I may have to.

                              Do you operate a home foundry? If so, what metals do you cast?
                              Jim
                            • Stone Tool
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 17, 2004
                                The most elegant way to atomize waste oil I have seen is a spinning
                                internally finned cone turning at high speed. This cone .. probably 3"
                                diameter turns fast... probably 3k-5k .... I don't know. Oil is run down
                                into the center of the cone through a tube and exits at the bottom from two
                                holes. It crawls up the sides of the cone and comes off in a mist that
                                looks like smoke. This technology was developed for extremely low
                                application chemical spray.... as low as a pint to the acre. Mineral oil
                                is used for chemical carrier. The beauty of this system is that you can
                                fill a drum with oil rich mist... the spinning cone inside the drum....and
                                draw this oil rich mist out mixing it with air for a combustion mix, and
                                all surplus simply collects eventually on the sides of the drum and runs
                                back. Properly designed there is no danger of flashback / explosion as
                                there is nowhere near enough air present in the drum to sustain combustion.
                                The ideal burner setup would be located above the storage / atomization
                                tank, and a sloped or near vertical tube would carry any oil that
                                "condenses" out on the way.. back down into the reservoir. A blast of
                                air into the burner with a venturi to draw the atomized oil with it could
                                take care of metering the oil and mixing it to the proper proportions. A
                                vent into the reservoir with a plate to adjust opening size could be used
                                for mixture tuning.. allowing just enough air to enter the reservoir to
                                replace what is drawn out by the venturi. Waste oil can be moved easily at
                                a rate suitable for burning using a roller chain running in the oil and
                                bringing it up throwing it up onto a surface that then channels it down to
                                a rod angling downward to your cone. The chain cannot plug....and the oil
                                will cling to the rod and follow it down... The steepness of the rod angle
                                governs the amount of oil that will follow the rod without dripping off.
                                No orifices to plug...no pumps or valves... dead simple and foolproof.
                                Dirt and junk in this system is not going to plug anything.... it will
                                simply find it's way to the sides of the drum and back into the reservoir.

                                Disclaimer: I have worked with the various parts as described here...
                                independently... but have never actually assembled this system. The
                                primary concern here is to prevent enough air from being present in the
                                reservoir for combustion. This should be no problem whatever from what I
                                have seen. This mist will not burn without addition of a considerable
                                amount of air.

                                H.W.
                              • kiwiavi
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 17, 2004
                                  I have posted pictures of my waste oil burner. I have in the past
                                  measured temps of 980 deg C. The heater was made to heat our house
                                  but could be use as a low temp furnace. See Wallaces Burners in the
                                  photos.

                                  Cheers Wallace
                                • cdmckeown
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 18, 2004
                                    --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "charles logan"
                                    <charles_logan@b...> wrote:
                                    > Hello Jim,
                                    The simplest, cheapest and most effective oil burner I've ever seen.
                                    Moltern iron in 20 minutes. Check out
                                    http://home.iprimus.com.au/cmckeown/the_valley.htm

                                    Cam

                                    > > Hi Folks:
                                    > > My name is Jim from Alabama and I am a new member to the group.
                                    > > I am interested in building a waste oil burner. Several weeks
                                    ago I
                                    > > stumbled onto a site that had such a burner. The orfice was a
                                    > > smashed copper tube under pressure to atomize the oil. I'm
                                    working
                                    > > on this thing now but can not find the site again. Does anyone
                                    out
                                    > > ther know of the site? I would appreciate any help.
                                    > > Jim
                                    > >

                                    > > This list is for discussion of metal casting
                                    > > and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to
                                    share
                                    > photos and stuff: join Sandcrabs by sending a blank message to:
                                    > sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                    be
                                    > otherwise solved contact the list owner by email:
                                    > > owly@t...
                                    > >

                                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • Roy
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 18, 2004
                                      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, greeniego@j... wrote:
                                      > Roy:
                                      >
                                      > I'm in Phenix City just across the bridge from Columbus, GA. Where
                                      did
                                      > you get your burner? I haven't investigated any oil fired forced
                                      air
                                      > heater burners but I may have to.
                                      >
                                      > Do you operate a home foundry? If so, what metals do you cast?
                                      > Jim

                                      In just south of Montgomery. I obtained my furnace froma fellow
                                      living in Canada, who I swapped some PB resin with for my oil fired
                                      burner. He had what I wanted, and I had what he wanted so it was a
                                      mutual swap out.

                                      I do mainly aluminum, but do brasses and bronzes if the need arises,a
                                      s well as a small amount of cast iron.
                                    • Clint D
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 18, 2004
                                        Wallace

                                        do you have any kind of plan showing details? or a web site

                                        Clint

                                        > I have posted pictures of my waste oil burner. I have in the past
                                        > measured temps of 980 deg C. The heater was made to heat our house
                                        > but could be use as a low temp furnace. See Wallaces Burners in the
                                        > photos.
                                        >
                                        > Cheers Wallace
                                        >

                                        > This list is for discussion of metal casting
                                        > and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share
                                        sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                        otherwise solved contact the list owner by email:

                                      • paul_probus
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jul 19, 2004
                                          This sounds similar to a rotary cup oil burner used in boilers. I
                                          have heard (from my previous place of employment, where we had two
                                          old high temp hot water boilers that came with rotary cup burners
                                          originally) that they are no longer legal in most juridictions. I am
                                          guessing that they are actually dangerous.

                                          However, this rotary cone may be a different animal altogether.

                                          Paul