Purchased foundry products

  • cdmckeown
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2004
      Hi Blokes,
      I have a good friend who has purchased some casting
      equipment and some supplies. He was told two of the liquids as part
      or the sale are used to make some kind of oil sand.
      I'm wondering if anyone has herd of these particular solutions and
      how they would be used. They are – Polyethylene Glycol 1000, which
      at the moment is like wax so I assume it will have to be heated. The
      other is a very thick black oil. It is mixed with
      fine sand for molding. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Another solution as part of the sale is sprayed onto green sand molds
      and lit with a match which burns off leaving a hard skin on the mould
      stopping loose sand entering during the pour. I don't have a name of
      this stuff as its in an unmarked tin, has anyone used a product like
      this?

      Cam
    • Colin Croucher
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2004
        Hi Cam.

        I'm not sure about the wax stuff you have, but the other
        stuff you spray on the moulds is probably a spirit based
        mould cote, these are used on large moulds, especially
        with coarse sands, spray on a good coat, light it with
        a match, and it burns off, leaving a nice coat or skin which binds
        the sand particles together and "skin drys" the mould.

        The same effect can be done with green sand by using a very soft flame
        with an oxy torch, a method I use when casting aluminium
        clutch slave cylinders.
        The techinique is very effective, quick, and damn cheap.

        Regards
        Col Croucher.
        mailto:col@...

        http://www.myhomefoundry.com

        I have a good friend who has purchased some casting
        equipment and some supplies. He was told two of the liquids as part
        or the sale are used to make some kind of oil sand.
        I'm wondering if anyone has herd of these particular solutions and
        how they would be used. They are – Polyethylene Glycol 1000, which
        at the moment is like wax so I assume it will have to be heated. The
        other is a very thick black oil. It is mixed with
        fine sand for molding. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        Another solution as part of the sale is sprayed onto green sand molds
        and lit with a match which burns off leaving a hard skin on the mould
        stopping loose sand entering during the pour. I don't have a name of
        this stuff as its in an unmarked tin, has anyone used a product like
        this?

        Cam

        This list is for discussion of metal casting
        and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share
        sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        otherwise solved contact the list owner by email:

      • Colin Croucher

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2004
            Hi, this has nothing to do with casting but is interesting, Polyethylene
            glycol, is used for seasoning green timber, very popular with wood turners,
            it is dissolved in water, and the green timber is soaked in it, the
            Polyethylene glycol replaces the sap in the timber and prevents the wood
            from drying out and splitting.
            Frank.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2004
              Cam,
              the second product is from Foseco.Sorry I don't know the name .I used
              it at Yeronga TAFE in Brisbane, just as you described.We applied it with a
              spray gun...certainly very effective at sealing the sand.
              cheers,
              Peter