Re: [hobbicast] Re: Big, flat, thin casting

  • Greg Jahnke
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 3, 2004
      Yes, it looks like a big, flat wing more or less.

      What do you mean by "pour it in two halves"?

      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 3, 2004
        Graphite fiber and resin over ply ?I know this is supposed to be
        about casting but thats how I would do it !
        regards,
        Peter Sibley

        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 4, 2004
          it doesnt work that way you have to put all molten metal in at once... as many as 8 ppl have poured into the same casting..[2ppl per box...4 boxes for the casting]you have your gas funace... and make a charcoal one [or 2-3 large flower pot with charcoal- and curciable] and pour them all...then the plug...just be fast, or better yet get someone to help

          but the box is made of a core sand as is the plug...green sand baked...might work... but the core sand we use is 2-3% silica......mulled with activator and baked 300 degrees for 3-4 hours, [ i dont make the cores, but have watched it pleanty] inside the box tapers down ..out side of the box tapers outward...its used with a very large sprue basicly a castable funnel

          Charles <lancedulak@...> wrote:
          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, euemust kidding
          wrote:
          > could carve it out of wax or foam...and then clean it up after, 2-
          3-4 depending how big it is how much aluminum you can melt at
          once?...at work when we have a "large" casting we make a "core sand"
          5 sided box...with a "handle" plug....fill the "box" with metal...
          and then pull the plugs at the same time [if more then one box is
          used] dimentins are roughly 1'x2'x1'

          Id love to hear more about the box , how you keep the alum hot etc.
          Sounds very handy for those of us who dont want to build a giant
          furnace.

          This list is for discussion of metal casting
          and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share photos and stuff: join Sandcrabs by sending a blank message to: sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        • euemust kidding
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 4, 2004
            1] mold from wax or foam slightly larger then grind your rough casting smooth to exact size afterward with large disk sander 50-80-120
            2] NEW ingiot of a quality alloy ask what the old one was made of
            3] heat treat the casting [the finnished casting]....pay to have it done right flame metals mpls mn
            if you cant find one around your home town... call the local foundrys ..ask them where they send theirs should be one close to you

            I don't know squat about sail boats or racing boats, Charles seems to, you may want to take his advice and buy one, you race to win...can't win if you break down...just to save a few [big?] bucks, or take the midnight swim

            Charles <lancedulak@...> wrote:
            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Jahnke" wrote:
            > Already tried that route. The thing is odd shaped and has some
            strangely
            > camfered edges that cannot be replicated by a plasma cutter.
            Beyond casting
            > it, it would require milling in addition to roughing out with a
            plasma
            > cutter. I really kind of need the tapers trailing edge and the
            chamfered
            > leading edge in order to get the hull to plane properly.
            Originally, I
            > didn't think it was that important and just had it cut from a
            piece of
            > aluminum. Without the proper cross section, the boat planed like
            a brick in
            > a mud puddle.

            You didnt mention it was a racing boat. That makes all the
            difference in the world.
            The rudder etc as im sure you know better than i, are
            actually "wings" very carefully designed for low forward resistance,
            optimal flow in all positions etc.

            Casting might not work at All. Home castings arent as strong as
            milled metal for a lot of reasons. And a racing boat is going to
            have insanely high pressures put on it in turns (super-engineered
            keel fins snap all the time due to the incredible pressures put on
            them.. and they are built insanely strong). I've had thick castings
            snap like sticks because of some imperfection etc.

            Just my opinion but if he has a mill he should either look into
            carbon fiber (the new wavy kind) or buy a solid piece of 6160 etc
            and mill it out. (Ouch at losing the boat and the jerks not allowing
            you a permit) You could do it on even a micromill with enough
            planning and care. (Mill, mark.. move...). There are guys in the
            milling and metalworking groups who could do this in one piece, and
            use CNC mills to do it. If you're from the northeast (where a lot of
            hobbyists seem to live) ill bet if you put out the word on all the
            metalworking groups you could find someone to CNC the whole thing
            for you for next to nothing. Maybe even for your company and
            supplying the beer.

            This list is for discussion of metal casting
            and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share photos and stuff: join Sandcrabs by sending a blank message to: sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          • Charles
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 4, 2004
              Build it out of wood. Slice it down its center. Top to bottom ..
              the vertical center through the longest part. Each half should be
              identical but reversed. Lay each half down in mold material. Pack
              down the mold like normal. You should be able to pour it like you
              would an ingot now (not top mold or spru just pour it in the hole ).
              Do the same for the other.

              The big concern imho wont be pouring it. It will be the strength.
              Tiny variations in heat, impurities etc could be a big problem.
              And this is JUST opinion there are people here who are amazing
              casters getting their advice would probably be much more useful.

              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Jahnke" <gjahnke@b...> wrote:
              > Yes, it looks like a big, flat wing more or less.
              >
              > What do you mean by "pour it in two halves"?

            • Charles
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 4, 2004
                --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Sibley" <sibleyp@l...>
                wrote:
                > Graphite fiber and resin over ply ?I know this is supposed
                to be
                > about casting but thats how I would do it !
                > regards,
                > Peter Sibley

                Your way would be MUCH lighter than aluminum. And insanely strong.
                But expensive of course
              • RandyA Rockwell
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 4, 2004
                  Remember that when you slice it, you will lose the blade thickness in the
                  pattern. Cardboard and woodglue help here, as cardboard typically adds the
                  blade thickness back, and can be easily cut with a razorblade, and pulled
                  apart rest of way. Also, that you may want the castings to hold goood
                  when you go back to put them together. SOme "lock & Key" type thing majig
                  (Male/female pin)in the casting might greatly help.
                  Randy

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 5, 2004
                    Well ....if it was too expensive a couple of layers of biaxial glass cloth
                    plus epoxy would probably work out fine.May I suggest a look at this site
                    for your boat questions
                    http://media5.hypernet.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php
                    cheers,
                    Peter Sibley

                    > > Graphite fiber and resin over ply ?I know this is supposed
                    > to be
                    > > about casting but thats how I would do it !
                    > > regards,
                    > > Peter Sibley
                    > >

                    > Your way would be MUCH lighter than aluminum. And insanely strong.
                    > But expensive of course
                    >

                    > This list is for discussion of metal casting
                    > and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share
                    sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    otherwise solved contact the list owner by email:

                  • TEX
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 5, 2004
                      Better yet ... temporarily laminate two pieces of 3/16" luan
                      together to git yer 3/8" thickness, bull-nose or feather the edges,
                      then separate the two pieces. It'd be hard to find a bandsaw with
                      that deep of throat an if ya did, ya can't be sure the cut wud
                      remain straight. ... :o) TEX
                      -----------------------
                      Build it out of wood. Slice it down its center. Top to bottom ..
                      the vertical center through the longest part. Each half should be
                      identical but reversed. Lay each half down in mold material. Pack
                      down the mold like normal. You should be able to pour it like you
                      would an ingot now (not top mold or spru just pour it in the hole ).
                      Do the same for the other.

                      The big concern imho wont be pouring it. It will be the strength.
                      Tiny variations in heat, impurities etc could be a big problem.
                      And this is JUST opinion there are people here who are amazing
                      casters getting their advice would probably be much more useful.
                      Charles
                    • lance bill
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 8, 2004
                        Any chance of getting some more info on that home made plasma cutter ?

                        >From: "RandyA Rockwell" <randyarockwell@...>
                        >To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: RE: [hobbicast] Big, flat, thin casting
                        >Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 23:47:49 -0700
                        >

                        >Have you considered talking to a plasma cutting person. One could probably
                        >cut one out of stainless, if you have a good scrap source. Around here I
                        >could get a piece of ample size for $25. ANd I"ve seen a home made plasma
                        >cutter that could cut 3/8 sheet steel. A laser cutter would be ideal. I'm
                        >not recommending anything, just a thought. It'd be alot stronger that
                        >aluminum-eum :]
                        >Randy

                        Add photos to your messages with MSN Premium. Get 2 months FREE*
                      • RandyA Rockwell
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 10, 2004
                          I can give you the guy's email address. He just joined our Model
                          Engineering club, and he actually is trying to build a business off his 4'
                          x 4' cutter. HE's also working on a 4' x 8' cutter too.

                          I do know that there's alot of free software for various CNC operations
                          floating around on the Internet, like Linux, which is a 2-axis program.
                          I'm still researching the area myself though. Also I know that He has
                          Corel Draw, a graphics design program, and Autocad, of what versions though
                          I have no idea.

                          As for the table, it's where the home-made part kicks in.
                          blackinox@...
                          Randy

                          http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=htt
                          p://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

                          > This list is for discussion of metal casting
                          > and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share
                          sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                          otherwise solved contact the list owner by email:

                        • Raymond Heckert
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 10, 2004
                            For free LINUX software, check out the EMC user's list at:

                            emc-users@...

                            or, contact: rhenry at up.net Substitute 'at' with the
                            appropriate symbol (shifted-2)

                            EMC stands for Electronic Machine Control, and the current BDI
                            (Brain-Dead-Install) allows you to control, I believe, up to 8 axes of CNC
                            actuators (steppers/servos). It can even control a 'hexapod' configured
                            platform. This software was originally developed by N.I.S.T. (Nat'l
                            Institute of Science & Technology, I think) with your tax dollars, and was
                            refined by the group at sourceforge. HTH

                            RayHex

                            ----------
                            > From: RandyA Rockwell <randyarockwell@...>

                            <snip>

                            > I do know that there's alot of free software for various CNC operations
                            > floating around on the Internet, like Linux, which is a 2-axis program.
                            > I'm still researching the area myself though. Also I know that He has
                            > Corel Draw, a graphics design program, and Autocad, of what versions
                            though
                            > I have no idea.
                          • scobeyguy
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 10, 2004
                              Speaking of brain dead---this is a hobby metal casting group, not a
                              software users group. Please confine your posts to on-topic issues.

                              Gary

                              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Raymond Heckert" <jnr@a...> wrote:
                              > For free LINUX software, check out the EMC user's list at:
                              >

                              > EMC stands for Electronic Machine Control, and the current BDI
                              > (Brain-Dead-Install) allows you to control, I believe, up to 8 axes
                              > RayHex
                              >
                              > ----------
                            • arcstarter
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 14, 2004
                                I'm fond of intake manifoldium, small block chevy headdite, and
                                utility cablium. Plastic-coated electric cable comes complete with
                                it's own fuel!

                                -Bill

                                --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Jahnke" <gjahnke@b...> wrote:
                                > I have to cast a new rudder for a sailboat. It is roughly 2 sq ft,
                                flat,
                                > and only 3/8" thick. I have never poured anything like this before.
                                >
                                > I was thinking I would put in 2 sprues and get somebody to help me
                                so we
                                > could pour from both ends at the same time, and just pour hard.
                                >
                                > Materials I have on hand are pistonium, transmission casium and
                                motorcyle
                                > enginium.
                              • Greg Jahnke
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 14, 2004
                                  DON'T MELT ALUMINUM SMALL BLOCK CHEVY HEADS!!!!

                                  There are small block chevys out there that need them.

                                • creepinogie@yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 15, 2004
                                    Should be no problem. It's thick enough but you'll need at least a 6
                                    to 8" thick cope to support all that sand.
                                    LL

                                    --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "arcstarter" <arcstarter@y...>