Re: [hobbicast] Re: VG-69

  • Leon Risenhoover
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 30, 2004
      the thing i found out about p-bond is that : as the trmpature of the pour
      increases you burn out the binder (bentone) and it needs to be replaced so
      by the time i make 200 lb of it and pour 20 times ....or more, i won't have
      that much left over.
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 30, 2004
        Ray
        I don't think they make VG-69 any more geltone 5 was available and it's cost
        was about $2.00/lb but the stuff made for petrobond (it's called petrobond
        also) and even asked if it has a flour like consistency is only $1.04 my
        company buy's $40,000 worth of epoxy and UV cure stuff a month and I cant
        even get just one bag from them "Elementis" with out a $500 order. I called
        a paint manufacturer and they were as helpful as any body I found.

        Petrobond 50lbs./bag....................................$1.04/lb. FOB St.
        Louis, MO.

        Petrobond P1 Catalyst 50 lbs./pail.............................$2.89/lb. FOB
        St. Louis, MO.

        Message 3 of 24 , May 1, 2004
          Don't use PB1, go with PB2. Its easier and cheaper overall to make
          and use. PB1 requires a catylyst, PB 2 does not. All you need to add
          besides sand to PB2 is a quart of 30wt non detergent motor oil less
          than a buck. Usual recipe is 100# sand, 5# PB 2 resin and 32 oz non
          detergent oil. Depending on the sand mesh a tad bit more or less oil.

          I guess the last I paid for PB2 was about 90 cents a poound last year
          or year before last and it was in 50# bags but was only sold in 100#
          increments, and it cost me 90 some bucks for 2 bags.

          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Leon Risenhoover <lrisen@d...>
          wrote:
          > Ray
          > I don't think they make VG-69 any more geltone 5 was available and
          it's cost
          > was about $2.00/lb but the stuff made for petrobond (it's called
          petrobond
          > also) and even asked if it has a flour like consistency is only
          $1.04 my
          > company buy's $40,000 worth of epoxy and UV cure stuff a month and
          I cant
          > even get just one bag from them "Elementis" with out a $500 order.
          I called
          > a paint manufacturer and they were as helpful as any body I found.
          >
          > Petrobond 50lbs./bag....................................$1.04/lb.
          FOB St.
          > Louis, MO.
          >

          > Petrobond P1 Catalyst 50
          lbs./pail.............................$2.89/lb. FOB
          > St. Louis, MO.

        • jamonyou69
          Message 4 of 24 , May 2, 2004
            > I guess the last I paid for PB2 was about 90 cents a poound last
            year

            I assume you paid this price for the sand mix and not just the PB2
            resin? Let me know, because if that price is just for the resin,
            I've got to rethink my next purchase.

            Jam
          • Roy
            Message 5 of 24 , May 4, 2004
              I buy just the resin, I would go broke buying premixed PB. 100# bag
              of sand is C H E A P.......about 10 or 12 bucks a bag for Olivine 140
              mesh. and less than 6 bucks worth of PB resin and a quart of oil you
              have 100# of oil bonded sand for less than 20.00 a hundred. Having a
              muller helps though.

              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "jamonyou69" <jamowie@h...> wrote:

              > > I guess the last I paid for PB2 was about 90 cents a poound last
              > year
              >
              > I assume you paid this price for the sand mix and not just the PB2
              > resin? Let me know, because if that price is just for the resin,
              > I've got to rethink my next purchase.
              >
              > Jam
            • Rick and Dee
              Message 6 of 24 , May 4, 2004
                Hi Roy

                Who is your source of the PB resin? What kind of price / qty?

                Rick in Orygun

                Message 7 of 24 , May 4, 2004
                  I just got a quote for olivine sand: $75 for 100 lbs. pick up only!
                  The price you got PB2 for is 1/3 the price of bentone. Where did you
                  get it, if you don't mind me asking. I believe the sand you got from
                  Atlanta, at least that's what I gathered from your web site. It
                  would be a great help to find a reasonable sourse of organoclay.

                  Jam
                • Clint D
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 4, 2004
                    Roy

                    where do you get the Olivine 140

                    Clint

                    > I buy just the resin, I would go broke buying premixed PB. 100# bag
                    > of sand is C H E A P.......about 10 or 12 bucks a bag for Olivine 140
                    > mesh. and less than 6 bucks worth of PB resin and a quart of oil you
                    > have 100# of oil bonded sand for less than 20.00 a hundred. Having a
                    > muller helps though.
                    >
                    > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "jamonyou69" <jamowie@h...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > I guess the last I paid for PB2 was about 90 cents a poound last
                    > > year
                    > >
                    > > I assume you paid this price for the sand mix and not just the PB2
                    > > resin? Let me know, because if that price is just for the resin,
                    > > I've got to rethink my next purchase.
                    > >
                    > > Jam
                    >

                    > This list is for discussion of metal casting
                    > and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share
                    sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    otherwise solved contact the list owner by email:

                  • Ray Brandes
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 5, 2004
                      Rick and All,
                      If you scroll down near the bottom of every hobbicast message you will
                      see a link to our sponsor, Budget Casting Supply. This is my source for
                      many items including sodium silicate, fluxes and so on.
                      Regards, Ray in FLA

                      Rick and Dee wrote:

                      >Hi Roy
                      >
                      > Who is your source of the PB resin? What kind of price / qty?
                      >
                      >Rick in Orygun

                    • Ray Brandes
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 5, 2004
                        My web page not only has the reciepe for kbond, but all the blue words
                        are links to material sources.
                        F110 sand can be obtained for about $9/100lbs at sandblasting supply houses.
                        Petrobond resin from Budget Casting supply for about $32/6lbs delivered
                        -first48.
                        If you can't find oil then you shouldn't be playing with hot metal.
                        I don't mind helping people. In fact I enjoy it, but I don't have the
                        time to spoon feed either. Show some resoursefullness. Figure out some
                        things for yourself. It will make you better.
                        Regards, Ray in FLA

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 5, 2004
                          Very interesting tone of your post:
                          "-Show some resoursefullness. ... It will make you better."

                          I've got much more time to research all of these things than to
                          actually work at them. In total I've probably spent over 80 hours
                          researching organoclays. I've got chemical reactions, methods, and
                          formulas to create the compound using bentonite and various
                          quaternary ammonium compounds. I've got sources of both. I've got
                          lists of companies who manufacture the product for: oil drilling,
                          paint manufacture, cosmetic additives, water filtration, etc. I've
                          contacted about half a dozen companies directly, not to mention most
                          of the local outfits, to get the different components, including
                          the top silica producer in the states (they were not very helpful by
                          the way).

                          I appreciate your web site very much and all of the information you
                          share but just because I don't say I've spent over two weeks full
                          time researching the products, it doesn't mean that I'm not
                          resourseful. This group is for the sharing of information, it is
                          part of the process to grow our knowlege base.

                          If you don't want to "spoon feed" people, then don't. But by the
                          time you type that in, you could have just as easily have shared
                          your information (which you did).

                          Jam

                          PS- Ray, your web site is one that I have been visiting very often
                          over the past several months. It, and the work that you do, have
                          been an inspiration to me and have kept me interested in this very
                          time consuming hobby. I can't thank you enough for taking the time
                          to share with us.

                          -- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Ray Brandes <rvb@r...> wrote:
                          > My web page not only has the reciepe for kbond, but all the blue
                          words
                          > are links to material sources.
                          > F110 sand can be obtained for about $9/100lbs at sandblasting
                          supply houses.
                          > Petrobond resin from Budget Casting supply for about $32/6lbs
                          delivered
                          > -first48.
                          > If you can't find oil then you shouldn't be playing with hot metal.
                          > I don't mind helping people. In fact I enjoy it, but I don't have
                          the
                          > time to spoon feed either. Show some resoursefullness. Figure out
                          some
                          > things for yourself. It will make you better.
                          > Regards, Ray in FLA
                          >

                          > >I just got a quote for olivine sand: $75 for 100 lbs. pick up
                          only!
                          > >The price you got PB2 for is 1/3 the price of bentone. Where did
                          you
                          > >get it, if you don't mind me asking. I believe the sand you got
                          from
                          > >Atlanta, at least that's what I gathered from your web site. It
                          > >would be a great help to find a reasonable sourse of organoclay.

                        • whizzerick
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 5, 2004
                            Ray, I mixed my first batch of K-Bond usind the recipe on your website (a year
                            ago) and I have to thank you for making that resource and many others
                            available to me.

                            As far as availability, I'm in Montreal (Canada) where foundry work has all but
                            disapeared and it took me only half a day to come up with all the ingredients
                            for my K-Bond mix. Total cost for 100 pounds of K was 75$CDN (60$US).

                            That sand mix is an invaluable tool, I dont think I would have had so many
                            successes early on (and so much fun) without it...

                            whizzerick

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 5, 2004
                              I biuy all my foundry products locally in Birmingham Alabama, and
                              mainly at Perry Supply or other places. If your paying 75 bucks a
                              hundred for olivine your getting the shaft big time. 10 or 12 bucks a
                              100 MAX.

                              Petro Bond is petro BOnd.BSC petrobond is already mixed and ready to
                              use, no mulling required, dump it out of the container and ram it.
                              Your paying for foks to mix it and pack it, so the price if higher,
                              miuch higher. Sooner or later your gonna have to remull it unless you
                              like a medioocre mix of sand and lots of hand work that is just not
                              going to compare with a thrown together muller. Mullers need not be
                              fancy, just funcional.

                              Bentone is not PB, and Bentone is higher than PB resin.

                              If you buy or go looking for PB resin make sure you get the PB2 resin
                              as it does not require addition of a catylyst. The more ingredients
                              you have to fool with the more messing around you have when it comes
                              to rejuvinating it. It can be done and is done, but less ingredients
                              to me is an asset for something that works as fine as PB2 does.

                              Not too many suppliers sell ready mixed PB, as folks that keep them
                              in business are foundries, and foundries have mullers....... It would
                              take less than 10 minutes to whip up a 100# batch of PB. IMHO,
                              premixed / packaged PB may be suuitable for those that only need 40
                              or 50 pounds of the stuff, but to be honest most rerquire more, so
                              you would have a small fortune spent to acquire say 500 pounds of
                              sand which in all reality is not a lot of sand by any means. A 5 fal
                              bucket is better than 50 pounds worth of PB without it being ramed!

                            • creepinogie@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 6, 2004
                                Holy smokes!
                                Isn't it just easier to buy petrobond? This is a serious question.
                                Although, I remember doing a hecl of alot of research on other topics
                                just to come to the same conclusion.
                                Lyle

                                Message 15 of 24 , May 6, 2004
                                  Jam,
                                  Sorry if my tone offended anyone and my post wasn't aimed at you. It's
                                  just that some people will call you on the phone for information that is
                                  right there on the web page if they read it or bothered to follow the
                                  links. I was a little short of patience when I wrote that. Perhaps I
                                  should cool down before my next rant. (grin) Please accept my apology.
                                  Regards, Ray

                                • Sendkeys@yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 6, 2004
                                    Could always quit, What most people would do lol

                                    --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Ray Brandes <rvb@r...> wrote:
                                    > Jam,
                                    > Sorry if my tone offended anyone and my post wasn't aimed at you.
                                    It's
                                    > just that some people will call you on the phone for information
                                    that is
                                    > right there on the web page if they read it or bothered to follow
                                    the
                                    > links. I was a little short of patience when I wrote that. Perhaps
                                    > should cool down before my next rant. (grin) Please accept my
                                    apology.
                                    > Regards, Ray
                                    >
                                    > jamonyou69 wrote:
                                    >
                                    > >Very interesting tone of your post:
                                    > >"-Show some resoursefullness. ... It will make you better."

                                  • ihcaster_2000
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 6, 2004
                                      Ray , I know where you're coming from ! A forum I've been with for
                                      years gets someone ever so often with the question , " does X company
                                      have a web site?" Gee I don't know, type in www.Xcompany (com- net -
                                      org) and see ! Sure enough it works 95% of the time ! People are just
                                      getting to lazy !
                                      Now if someone says they searched and couldn't find anything then I'm
                                      more than glad to search and help out.
                                      my 2ยข