RE: [hobbicast] Re: Hello

  • RandyA Rockwell
    Message 1 of 42 , Mar 31, 2004
      Dan,
      No, haven't tried bronze, not yet. But the Stewart Marshall book I have
      says it can be done in a cupola, as long as the furnace has been cleaned of
      any other metal. Stewart says you can do it in the same heat as iron! I
      have done brass though with my father using regular propane furnace.
      I also read other day that aluminum can be done in a cupola, but you'd use
      regular charcoal instead of coke. Says it melts 5-6 times faster than in a
      conventional propane furnace.
      THing is, those cupolas seem to be set up for production casting: w/ a 7"
      bore x 36 about 10 lbs of iron or 18 lbs of bronze every 5 minutes! I say
      production because the warmup for coke is about 35-60 minutes and 35 lbs of
      coke before a tap can be done.
      These are just what book says, and I;m still gonna try it eventually.

      to England and from coast to coast in the US.
      > > I'm wanting to get into Cast iron and Bronze castings: have a coke
      supply near and don't want to pay too much for castings anymore (besides,
      this stuff is too much fun!)
      > > PS: my websites are linked below
      > >

      > > RandyA Rockwell
      > > randyarockwell@...
      > > Try Our Website: http://home.earthlink.net/~randyarockwell
      > > GEARS website: http://home.earthlink.net/~oregongears04
      > > Mid Valley Model Engineer Association of Oregon Member

      > > This list is for discussion of metal casting
      > > and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share
      sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      otherwise solved contact the list owner by email:
      > > owly@...
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > This list is for discussion of metal casting
      > and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share
      sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      otherwise solved contact the list owner by email:

    • hbkinc
      Message 42 of 42 , Apr 2, 2004
        Gee Lyle, I thought aluminum got hydrogen bubbles. If coke is all
        carbon, Where does the bubbles come from?

        HBK

        http://us.lindegas.com/international/web/lg/us/likelgus.nsf/DocByAlias