Re: [hobbicast] The Gyratory Riddle

  • Colin Croucher
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 14, 2004
      Hi Edyn.

      Regarding your questions re the gyratory riddle,
      a riddle is not difficult to build if you have reasonable workshop.
      All you need to drive it is 1/3rd HP washing machine motor.

      We have all the answers for you in the Motorised Riddle
      ebook available from our web site.
      It sells for only $16.95, complete building specs and instructions
      are given in the ebook.

      I can tell you that I have used one for over 7 years, I never
      riddle sand by hand anymore..the riddle is just so quick.
      Check it out now
      http://www.myhomefoundry.com/page4.html

      Regards
      Col Croucher.
      Australia'

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 14, 2004
        Thanks Col

        Washing machine motor you say....hmmmmmm, I wonder if the Mrs will
        mind if I borrow hers?. She took my Credit card off me so I cant buy
        your plans, Have to search on the net - cheers anyway..

        Anyone else Built one?

        Edyn
        Wellington
        New Zealand
        ----

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Colin Croucher" <coljan@d...>

        *****

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 14, 2004
          Hi Edyn.

          The savings you'll make by building your own G/Riddle will be so great your
          good lady will return your credit card.

          I just looked at the speed riddle by A & B castings, a very nice machine if
          you have the budget of a commercial outfit.

          You will be pleasantly surprised with the amount of time saved by reading
          the "How to Build the motorised gyratory riddle" ebook

          Cost to build will be no more than $65.00 US, providing you have a
          reasonable workshop.
          The wire foundry sieve will be the expensive part!
          Been there, try to source a good 2nd hand sieve.

          Col Croucher
          Australia.

          > I thought it was time I built a decient sand conditioner and the
          > Gyratory riddle doesnt seem too complex to make compared to the
          > mullers some of you guys Have built.
          >
          > (Correct me if Im wrong) But from what ive seen in books it
          > basically consists of a motor spinning an eccentric or out of
          > ballance disc which causes the vibration. The Motor and riddle are a
          > unit joined by a frame and its hung with a chain..
          >
          > I was wondering If anyone has built one? Any suggestions on motor
          > Size and rpm?, how much counter weight would be used on the
          > eccentric disc?, Riddle size and mesh?, How close is the eccentric
          > disc to the riddle?, Is the unit ie - (Motor,frame,riddle) hung from
          > the roof or can it be Suspended inside another frame via chains etc?.
          >
          > Any suggestions, Comments, Dos and donts would be much appreciated
          >
          > Thanks in Advance..
          > Edyn
          >

          > This list is for discussion of metal casting
          > and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share
          sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          otherwise solved contact the list owner by email:
          > owly@...
          >
          > blems that cannot be otherwise solved contact the list owner by email:

          This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and are
          addressed. If you are not the original recipient, any use, dissemination,
          forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.
          If you received this email in error, please notify the sender.

          This message has been scanned for viruses by the Dragnet CleanMail Service.
        • charles logan
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 14, 2004
            Col Croucher,
            I was just sending a picture and specs to help in building one. The one I
            have was free. They don't get any cheaper.

            Charles Logan
            A & B Castings Inc.

            > The savings you'll make by building your own G/Riddle will be so great
            your
            > good lady will return your credit card.
            >
            > I just looked at the speed riddle by A & B castings, a very nice machine
            if
            > you have the budget of a commercial outfit.
            >
            > You will be pleasantly surprised with the amount of time saved by reading
            > the "How to Build the motorised gyratory riddle" ebook
            >
            > Cost to build will be no more than $65.00 US, providing you have a
            > reasonable workshop.
            > The wire foundry sieve will be the expensive part!
            > Been there, try to source a good 2nd hand sieve.
            >
            > Col Croucher
            > Australia.

          • Edyn
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 14, 2004
              Thanks for the link Charles

              Should be able to build one from those specs.(When I get around to
              it.)

              Regards
              Edyn
              Wellington