spraying metal, was metalizing skulls

  • Elliot Burke
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2004
      Danny,
      can you tell us more about spraying metal?
      What sort of equipment do you use,
      Can an amateur do it,
      Will it make huge flames and lots of noise,
      How dense is the metal; is it solid and strong or just a bunch of loose
      particles
      How thick/thin a layer can you make.....

      Sounds like fun!

      regards-
      Elliot B.

      Danny Powell wrote:

      > I don't know how these people are doing this,
      however I do metal spraying with special oxy-acetylene
      torch and special wires. The process was developed in
      the early 1900's, and has been improved greatly over
      the years. It was developed to rebuild worn parts for
      machinery and to apply anticorrosion coatings to
      protect metal items.
      Some people have used metal spray for art work and
      decorative items. I have metallised things like
      Coca-Cola bottles, light bulbs, plaster and wooden
      plaques, T-shirts andother clothing. I am sure that I
      could do skulls too, just never thought of it. Any
      material that can be made into wire can be sprayed;
      such as aluminum, brass, copper, nickel, stainless
      steel, monel, silver, gold.
      Danny Powell

      =====
      ---
    • Edyn
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2004
        Hi Danny.

        This is something Ive always wanted to learn...

        We send camshafts and Diesel Alternator shafts etc to a welder who
        metalsprays them if the seal surface is damaged. Ive never seen it
        done. Can you use an oxy/acet welding or cutting torch to
        metalspray?, whats the procedure? what type of rods do you use, Can
        you use mild steel welding rods on steel?.

        Hope this isnt too off topic

        Thanks in adv
        Edyn........

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Elliot Burke" <elliot@h...> wrote:
        > Danny,
        > can you tell us more about spraying metal?
        > What sort of equipment do you use,
        > Can an amateur do it,
        > Will it make huge flames and lots of noise,
        > How dense is the metal; is it solid and strong or just a bunch of
        loose
        > particles
        > How thick/thin a layer can you make.....
        >
        > Sounds like fun!
        >
        > regards-
        > Elliot B.
        >
        > Danny Powell wrote:
        > >

        > > I don't know how these people are doing this,
        > however I do metal spraying with special oxy-acetylene
        > torch and special wires. The process was developed in
        > the early 1900's, and has been improved greatly over
        > the years. It was developed to rebuild worn parts for
        > machinery and to apply anticorrosion coatings to
        > protect metal items.
        > Some people have used metal spray for art work and
        > decorative items. I have metallised things like
        > Coca-Cola bottles, light bulbs, plaster and wooden
        > plaques, T-shirts andother clothing. I am sure that I
        > could do skulls too, just never thought of it. Any
        > material that can be made into wire can be sprayed;
        > such as aluminum, brass, copper, nickel, stainless
        > steel, monel, silver, gold.
        > Danny Powell
        >

        > =====
        > ---
      • Colin Croucher
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2004
          Edyn
          Visit this web site you may learn more about metal spraying.
          If you have Oxy welding equipment plus the skills to operate the gear you
          can doe metal spraying in the home workshop.
          Col Croucher
          Australia

          www.yellowpages.co.nz/all-categories/transport/boats-and-marine/
          farming-marine/engineers-marine/
          > This is something Ive always wanted to learn...
          >
          > We send camshafts and Diesel Alternator shafts etc to a welder who
          > metalsprays them if the seal surface is damaged. Ive never seen it
          > done. Can you use an oxy/acet welding or cutting torch to
          > metalspray?, whats the procedure? what type of rods do you use, Can
          > you use mild steel welding rods on steel?.
          >
          > Hope this isnt too off topic
          >
          > Thanks in adv
          > Edyn........

          > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Elliot Burke" <elliot@h...> wrote:
          > > Danny,
          > > can you tell us more about spraying metal?
          > > What sort of equipment do you use,
          > > Can an amateur do it,
          > > Will it make huge flames and lots of noise,
          > > How dense is the metal; is it solid and strong or just a bunch of
          > loose
          > > particles
          > > How thick/thin a layer can you make.....
          > >
          > > Sounds like fun!
          > >
          > > regards-
          > > Elliot B.
          > >
          > > Danny Powell wrote:
          > > >

          > > > I don't know how these people are doing this,
          > > however I do metal spraying with special oxy-acetylene
          > > torch and special wires. The process was developed in
          > > the early 1900's, and has been improved greatly over
          > > the years. It was developed to rebuild worn parts for
          > > machinery and to apply anticorrosion coatings to
          > > protect metal items.
          > > Some people have used metal spray for art work and
          > > decorative items. I have metallised things like
          > > Coca-Cola bottles, light bulbs, plaster and wooden
          > > plaques, T-shirts andother clothing. I am sure that I
          > > could do skulls too, just never thought of it. Any
          > > material that can be made into wire can be sprayed;
          > > such as aluminum, brass, copper, nickel, stainless
          > > steel, monel, silver, gold.
          > > Danny Powell
          > >

          > > =====
          > > ---
          >

          > This list is for discussion of metal casting
          > and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share
          sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          otherwise solved contact the list owner by email:
          > owly@...
          >
          > blems that cannot be otherwise solved contact the list owner by email:

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and are
          addressed. If you are not the original recipient, any use, dissemination,
          forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.
          If you received this email in error, please notify the sender.

          This message has been scanned for viruses by the Dragnet CleanMail Service.
        • Andrew Mawson
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2004
            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Edyn" <edynm@y...> wrote:
            > Hi Danny.
            >
            > This is something Ive always wanted to learn...
            >
            > We send camshafts and Diesel Alternator shafts etc to a welder who
            > metalsprays them if the seal surface is damaged. Ive never seen it
            > done. Can you use an oxy/acet welding or cutting torch to
            > metalspray?, whats the procedure? what type of rods do you use, Can
            > you use mild steel welding rods on steel?.
            >
            > Hope this isnt too off topic
            >
            > Thanks in adv
            > Edyn........

            > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Elliot Burke" <elliot@h...>
            wrote:
            > > Danny,
            > > can you tell us more about spraying metal?
            > > What sort of equipment do you use,
            > > Can an amateur do it,
            > > Will it make huge flames and lots of noise,
            > > How dense is the metal; is it solid and strong or just a bunch of
            > loose
            > > particles
            > > How thick/thin a layer can you make.....
            > >
            > > Sounds like fun!
            > >
            > > regards-
            > > Elliot B.
            > >
            > > Danny Powell wrote:
            > > >

            > > > I don't know how these people are doing this,
            > > however I do metal spraying with special oxy-acetylene
            > > torch and special wires. The process was developed in
            > > the early 1900's, and has been improved greatly over
            > > the years. It was developed to rebuild worn parts for
            > > machinery and to apply anticorrosion coatings to
            > > protect metal items.
            > > Some people have used metal spray for art work and
            > > decorative items. I have metallised things like
            > > Coca-Cola bottles, light bulbs, plaster and wooden
            > > plaques, T-shirts andother clothing. I am sure that I
            > > could do skulls too, just never thought of it. Any
            > > material that can be made into wire can be sprayed;
            > > such as aluminum, brass, copper, nickel, stainless
            > > steel, monel, silver, gold.
            > > Danny Powell
            > >

            > > =====
            > > ---

            I have two metal spraying set-ups:

            1/ consists of a 'Metco' oxy-acetylene sprayer that feeds a metal
            wire co-axially into the flame - it is pulled off a reel by a
            compressed air turbine built into the gun. I have only ever used it
            for zinc spraying for rustproofing, but any wire can be fed through
            and sprayed. For shaft buildup its book of words says to use
            molybdenum wire onto a roughened surface to give a key, then a steel
            wire of the appropriate composition.

            Mine is an earlier version of the one at the top of this picture:

            http://www.sulzermetco.com.au/www/country/au/equipment.html

            2/ is again oxy-actylene, and has a small funnel that trickles metal
            powder into the flame when a trigger is pulled - used for shaft build-
            up when worn. The powdered metal is vastly expensive.

            Andrew Mawson
            Bromley, UK
          • Michael Powell
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4, 2004
              --- Andrew Mawson <andrew@...> wrote:
> [...]
              >
              > Mine is an earlier version of the one at the top of
              > this picture:

              http://www.sulzermetco.com.au/www/country/au/equipment.html

              > 2/ is again oxy-actylene, and has a small funnel
              > that trickles metal
              > powder into the flame when a trigger is pulled -
              > used for shaft build-
              > up when worn. The powdered metal is vastly
              > expensive.
              >
              > Andrew Mawson
              > Bromley, UK
              >

              > This list is for discussion of metal casting
              > and does not accept attachments. For off topic
              > discussion and to share photos and stuff: join
              > Sandcrabs by sending a blank message to:
              > sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              > that cannot be otherwise solved contact the list
              > owner by email:
              > owly@...
              >
              > blems that cannot be otherwise solved contact the

              I have been spraying metal for over 30 years. Mostly
              to repair aircraft parts. I have a small shop of my
              own which I run part time and I work full time for a
              company that overhauls aircraft engines. At the
              present time I own both Metco and Castolin-Eutectic
              equipment. Metallizing must be done with
              specialized equipment. Both companies I mentioned have
              very good websites. There are other good companies
              also such as Praxair, Baystate, and others.
              Equipment is rather expensive, a basic wire or powder
              spray setup with necessary flowmeters and gauges will
              cost at least $8000. Used equipment is available but
              hard to find.
              Anyone wanting to know more can contact me at my email
              site ddubpow@...
              Danny Powell

              =====

              http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/