Re: [hobbicast] Inroduction - My Metal casting background.

  • emovi@mweb.co.za
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2004
      Greg - Good Luck - I know all about those sort of days - never mind
      all-nighters too.

      cheers edi

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2004
        So I recently started buying metal in known alloys as opposed to
        casting scrap. The results have been promising. The problem I have is
        that the local dealers all have a dizzying array of alloys and trying to
        learn about what the different properties of the alloys are has proven
        difficult. I have found some material about machining different alloys but
        nothing about casting differences.

        Are there any books / web sites / videos people can recommend that
        talk about the differences in casting the different alloys?

        Aaron
      • Benjamin_marsh
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2004
          Aaron,

          Have you tried Material Web? www.matweb.com I find it very useful for
          finding out information on different materials. It is also very good for
          adhesives etc not just metals.

          Regards

          Ben

          So I recently started buying metal in known alloys as opposed to
          casting scrap. The results have been promising. The problem I have is
          that the local dealers all have a dizzying array of alloys and trying to
          learn about what the different properties of the alloys are has proven
          difficult. I have found some material about machining different alloys but
          nothing about casting differences.

          Are there any books / web sites / videos people can recommend that
          talk about the differences in casting the different alloys?

          Aaron

          This list is for discussion of metal casting
          and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share
          sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          solved contact the list owner by email:
          owly@...

          blems that cannot be otherwise solved contact the list owner by email:

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message
          sent using Dodo Internet Webmail Server
        • Edyn
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 1, 2004
            Aaron

            "Casting Aluminium" - by C W Ammen is a good book. It has a good
            description of differant grades of al and their common uses and
            properties. Also other good stuff including alloying (Mixing)
            Aluminium with other metals etc.

            As far as identifying what grade the al is by looking at it, Stumps
            me as well. I find Scrap metal dealers arnt very helpful and I
            usually go for Al that has a grainy surface and parting lines
            (Meaning its been sand casted). - crossed fingers its 356?

            Edyn

            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Toney <joeboy@h...> wrote:

            > So I recently started buying metal in known alloys as opposed
            > casting scrap. The results have been promising. The problem I have
            is
            > that the local dealers all have a dizzying array of alloys and
            trying to
            > learn about what the different properties of the alloys are has
            proven
            > difficult. I have found some material about machining different
            alloys but
            > nothing about casting differences.
            >
            > Are there any books / web sites / videos people can recommend
            that
            > talk about the differences in casting the different alloys?
            >
            > Aaron
          • Aaron Toney
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 1, 2004
              > As far as identifying what grade the al is by looking at it, Stumps
              > me as well. I find Scrap metal dealers are not very helpful and I
              > usually go for Al that has a grainy surface and parting lines
              > (Meaning its been sand casted). - crossed fingers its 356?

              Cool, thanks.

              Actually I am having the reverse problem. I have a really good
              local dealer where I can buy cheap ingots of any of a wide variety of
              aluminium alloys. My problem is I cant find much information on the
              differences in casting of the different alloys. I have been able to find
              material on *machining* the metals but little on *casting* difference.

              Aaron
            • Dan Brewer
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 1, 2004
                Look in the message base and search for alloy. There have been smoe good discusions on why you would want to use each alloy.
                Dan in Auburn

                and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share photos and stuff: join Sandcrabs by sending a blank message to: sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 2, 2004
                  Unless your making some really weird stuff, 356, or 319 will work
                  good and they are both heat treatable. I also cast 535 with good
                  success. I guess I don't know your application but for basic stuff
                  just use a common alloy such as the ones I mentioned.
                  LL

                  -- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Benjamin_marsh"
                  <benjamin_marsh@d...> wrote:
                  > Aaron,
                  >
                  > Have you tried Material Web? www.matweb.com I find it very useful
                  for
                  > finding out information on different materials. It is also very
                  good for
                  > adhesives etc not just metals.
                  >
                  > Regards
                  >
                  > Ben

                • Raymond Heckert
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 2, 2004
                    Try A.S.M. (American Society for Metals) I believe they have the book(s)
                    you're looking for... Expensive, though, so maybe call a local,. or
                    technical college library to get the info you want. I don't know what
                    their URL is, but a GOOGLE search should turn one up.

                    RayHex

                    ----------
                    > From: Aaron Toney <joeboy@...>
                    >

                    > So I recently started buying metal in known alloys as opposed to
                    > casting scrap. The results have been promising. The problem I have is
                    > that the local dealers all have a dizzying array of alloys and trying to
                    > learn about what the different properties of the alloys are has proven
                    > difficult. I have found some material about machining different alloys
                    but
                    > nothing about casting differences.
                    >
                    > Are there any books / web sites / videos people can recommend that
                    > talk about the differences in casting the different alloys?
                    >
                    > Aaron
                  • terryb_au
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 3, 2004
                      Hi,
                      Here's a site that gives a bit of info on the castability of some
                      popular Al alloys.
                      http://www.castingsource.com/tech_art_guide1.asp
                      There are also some other very good articles in the drop down box.
                      As Lyle (LL) has mentioned some alloys he uses I would follow suit.
                      The 356.0 should suit most normal applications and the A356.0 sounds
                      really interesting. Alas I am still using scrap but would love to
                      try some new ingot 356.0 and A356.0
                      Cheers and have fun,
                      TerryB
                      http://members.optushome.com.au/terrybrown/

                      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Toney <joeboy@h...> wrote:

                      > So I recently started buying metal in known alloys as
                      opposed to
                      > casting scrap. The results have been promising. The problem I have
                      is
                      > that the local dealers all have a dizzying array of alloys and
                      trying to
                      > learn about what the different properties of the alloys are has
                      proven
                      > difficult. I have found some material about machining different
                      alloys but
                      > nothing about casting differences.
                      >
                      > Are there any books / web sites / videos people can
                      recommend that
                      > talk about the differences in casting the different alloys?
                      >
                      > Aaron
                    • Greg
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 3, 2004
                        Let me know the alloy and I'll tell you what it is, if it is good or
                        poor for casting.

                      • steelandiron1@wmconnect.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 4, 2004
                          Does anyone have a "reasonably" priced source for aluminum ingot in the
                          midwest ... in lots of 1-2 hundred pounds?

                        • cvedrick
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 4, 2004
                            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, steelandiron1@w... wrote:
                            > Does anyone have a "reasonably" priced source for aluminum ingot in
                            the
                            > midwest ... in lots of 1-2 hundred pounds?

                            A bit tongue in cheed, but what is reasonable? What is midwest?

                            I am a Texan and consider everything between san antonio and
                            california, up to washington to be "midwest"

                            If you are lucky enough to live near to either El PAso, Pheonix, or
                            Salt Lake City, you could go to Porter Warner Industries.

                            http://www.porterwarner.com/Map%20of%20Porter%20Warner%20Locations.htm

                            They sell single ingots up to Ton lots of the stuff, at worst, they
                            know someone who does.

                            As far as it goes, they have more foundry stuff at lower prices than
                            anyone else in my area. And they beat those internet johnnies all
                            hollow!