Re: [hobbicast] Re: Herman Iron Pour

  • Scrolling8@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2004
      Highly recommended to all,

      I have personnally attended the event several times and it is much more than
      just pouring 35 lbs of iron. If you want the whole experience you should
      sign-up not only for the pour but for the sand studios and learn how to make the
      sand molds. The interaction with all of the people in invaluable. You'll see
      several coupla's being operated for the iron pour and learn how dangerous it
      can be and how safe it can be at the same time. Each of the years I attended
      we poured around 4000 lbs of iron on Sunday. Most of the molds were artistic
      in nature and several different sand molding techniques are used from open face
      molds, to loose sand styrofoam pours, to ceramic molds, and the most common
      the two piece sand mold. The largest piece I remember being poured was a
      cradle piece for a large church bell to replace a broken one. It must have been
      well over 80 lbs and the two guys that came to the iron pour to make their
      replacement piece had loads of fun doing it.

      I don't know yet what I'm going to make this year but I will return again
      this year to experience the event.

      Don H.

      In a message dated 1/3/2004 9:01:49 AM Central Standard Time,
      eparadis@... writes:
      Dan, I'm not personally familiar with the Hertman Iron Pour, but
      having attended other pours, you can do a lot with 35lbs. of iron.
      Of course it depends on what you've got in mind, but think on a
      small scale, like center rest for lathes or other machine parts like
      chuck backs, all of which are typically under 8 - 10 lbs, sprue
      included. Small statuary, especially those that are investment
      cast, can be done with a minimal sprue and achieve exceptional
      detail. If nothing else, the oportunity to experience the iron pour
      in itself if probably worth the effort to attend. You'd get to see
      how others do their work, how other furnaces work, a chance to share
      and exchange experience. A win-win how ever you look at it...

      Ed
      "Expiring minds want to know!"

      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel C. Postellon"
      <postello@m...> wrote:
      > The Hertman iron pour is August 4th to 8th this year. Has anyone
      on this
      > list been there, and is is worthwhile? What can you do with 35
      lbs. of cast
      > iron, sprues included?
      > Dan Postellon

    • Daniel C. Postellon
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2004
        > http://www.alexweb.net/hermanironpour/index.html

        Thanks. That is the one. Dan
      • Ray Brandes
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2004
          Sadly, the date is during the National Rifle Matches. Well, we all have
          our priorities.
          -Ray