Re: [hobbicast] trucking

  • foundryman
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 7, 2001
      jgriffin, You commented on trucking expense. I agree! Look at my recent
      post on scrapmeisters. Please realize that we occupy a narrow nitch in
      these days and trucking expense is part of the game. Tough, but that is the
      way that it is. From my point of view, I would rather pay the trucking
      expense and have good castings at minimal expense than cast crap which
      raises my overall cost--overall you will win paying for trucking! My
      nearest source of supply is in STL (200mi). I find a reason once or twice a
      year to go for sand, refractory, crucibles, etc. and avoid the trucking
      expense. On the other hand, I gladly pay for shipping for my brass and
      bronze alloys shipped from Chicago (400miles) as it saves me money as
      opposed to messing with local scrap. Regarding your comment on Petrobond:
      Shipping will eat you alive as it is cheap but weighty! Get a muller and
      make your own! I used to buy from an outfit in KS and it was still too
      expensive. I now get my sand in STL, my oil locally, and the Petro in STL.
      I mull my own and am much happier with the quality.

      Best, Jerry in Missouri
      Custom Castings by Twaddell
      foundryman@...
      http://members.igateway.net/~jtwad/
    • hfd220@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 7, 2001
        Hello, I agree with Jerry fully, Buy known ingots if possible. That way you
        have good metal and lose less castings due to mixed unknowns. I do this as a
        business and cant afford to make even decorative castings over and over
        because of mixed scrap. Even when making things for the wife or as a gift my
        time is to valuable to do it over if possible. Also don't mix more than 10 to
        1 cut offs with new ingots ( 10% cutoffs to 90% new ingot). You lose some the
        elements making up the ingots each time you melt it.

        Charles Logan
        <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/hfd220/index.html">A & B Castings, Inc.</A>
        http://hometown.aol.com/hfd220/index.html

      • dragonpit@home.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 7, 2001
          Sorry folks I have to rant, laugh, something. No slurs meant
          to anyone.
          Heck folks guess growing up in a big state ( Texas still here )
          gives you a different way of looking at distances 200 miles
          man thats next door. I drove 84.5 miles one way to work for 3
          years. A 400 mile round trip is no big deal. I make a 260
          mile round trip several nights a month just to look thru
          my telescope. Once or twice a month during the summer ( april-
          nov. ) we leave the house at 6:00am drive 320 miles to the beach
          swim a few hours maybe fish some, eat dinner at out favorite place
          over the surf and come home that night.

          Rant over
          Drive Safe, Don't Drink
          Sorry
          henry ( Wood Dragon at http://dragonpitdesigns.com )

          --- In hobbicast@y..., "foundryman" <foundryman@i...> wrote:
          > jgriffin, You commented on trucking expense. I agree! Look at my
          recent
          > post on scrapmeisters. Please realize that we occupy a narrow
          nitch in
        • Dennis Graham
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 8, 2001
            Jerry,
            What do you use for a muller? Is it a commercial
            unit or a home made one?
            Denny Graham
          • Jim Clary
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 9, 2001
              Jerry and Denny,

              40+ years ago when I started using Petro Bond sand, I couldn't afford a
              muller. Commercial mullers are horrendously expensive. Mifco has one that
              will mull 1 bag of sand at a time for $7,000! A little out of reach for most
              of us. I did purchase one of these mullers, with a timer on it on e-bay a
              few months ago for $485. It was close by so I got to pick it up saving
              freight charges. But back to 40+ years ago, I made a muller from a plaster
              mixer like contraption I made from an old galvanized water tank. A plaster
              mixer has curved blades that rotate while the barrel is stationery. A cement
              mixer has the curved blades fixed to the inside of the barrel which all
              rotates as a unit. The cement action is a tumbling action whereas the
              plaster mixer's action is more of a rubbing action which is why it works as
              a muller. In fact I now have a small tow-able plaster mixer I was going to
              use as a muller before I bought the Mifco. I had it sandblasted, painted a
              bright "plaster mixer orange" and new rubber put on the blades. It is in
              excellent condition and I bought it right. I paid $450 for it and then spent
              $150 having it sandblasted and another $125 to have it painted and new
              rubber put on it. The tires are up and ready to go. I also have a 7.5 hp
              motor, 3 phase I'll throw in for it for free. If anybody wants it they can
              have it for just the cash I've got in it plus whatever shipping is. It will
              make a great hobbycast muller with almost no work except to mount the motor.

              Jim Clary

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 9, 2001
                Dennis,

                Your question:
                ,
                >What do you use for a muller? Is it a commercial
                unit or a home made one?
                Denny Graham<

                I started pounding my sand with the flat end of a rake and mixing it with
                the teeth. Then I made a muller--you can see pictures of it on the members
                pages--presently, I using a muller made by Mifco.

                Best, Jerry in Missouri
                Custom Castings by Twaddell
                foundryman@...
                http://members.igateway.net/~jtwad/
              • Kirk Becnel
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 9, 2001
                  From what you guys say about mullers, I was wondering
                  if you could do something with an old ice cream churn.
                  It looks to be of the same operating principles. I am
                  sure one could be had for pretty cheap at a goodwill
                  store or salvation army.

                  http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                • dragonpit@home.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 9, 2001
                    I tried this once it worked but it did not last long
                    eat itself up pretty quick.

                    --- In hobbicast@y..., Kirk Becnel <kirkbecnel@y...> wrote:
                    > From what you guys say about mullers, I was wondering
                    > if you could do something with an old ice cream churn.
                    > It looks to be of the same operating principles. I am
                    > sure one could be had for pretty cheap at a goodwill
                    > store or salvation army.

                    > http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                  • John Grant
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 9, 2001
                      Jim Clary wrote:

                      > Jerry and Denny,
                      >
                      > 40+ years ago when I started using Petro Bond sand, I couldn't afford a
                      > muller. Commercial mullers are horrendously expensive. Mifco has one that
                      > will mull 1 bag of sand at a time for $7,000! A little out of reach for most
                      > of us. I did purchase one of these mullers, with a timer on it on e-bay a
                      > few months ago for $485. It was close by so I got to pick it up saving
                      > freight charges. But back to 40+ years ago, I made a muller from a plaster
                      > mixer like contraption I made from an old galvanized water tank. A plaster
                      > mixer has curved blades that rotate while the barrel is stationery. A cement
                      > mixer has the curved blades fixed to the inside of the barrel which all
                      > rotates as a unit. The cement action is a tumbling action whereas the
                      > plaster mixer's action is more of a rubbing action which is why it works as
                      > a muller.

                      I have heard of people using cement mixers with sucess.

                      John Grant
                    • LLandstrom
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 9, 2001
                        A cement mixer won't work for petrobond. You might
                        make it work to reconstitute it by torching the
                        paddles out and adding some ingots or cannon balls as
                        it spins but you won't be able mull petrobond from
                        scratch with it.

                        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                      • Jim Clary
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 9, 2001
                          John,

                          I have never heard of a cement mixer being successfully used as a muller. It
                          just doesn't have the right action. Are you sure it was a cement mixer, or
                          was it a plaster mixer?

                          Jim Clary

                          > > 40+ years ago when I started using Petro Bond sand, I couldn't afford a
                          > > muller. Commercial mullers are horrendously expensive. Mifco has one
                          that
                          > > will mull 1 bag of sand at a time for $7,000! A little out of reach for
                          most
                          > > of us. I did purchase one of these mullers, with a timer on it on e-bay
                          > > few months ago for $485. It was close by so I got to pick it up saving
                          > > freight charges. But back to 40+ years ago, I made a muller from a
                          plaster
                          > > mixer like contraption I made from an old galvanized water tank. A
                          plaster
                          > > mixer has curved blades that rotate while the barrel is stationery. A
                          cement
                          > > mixer has the curved blades fixed to the inside of the barrel which all
                          > > rotates as a unit. The cement action is a tumbling action whereas the
                          > > plaster mixer's action is more of a rubbing action which is why it works
                          as
                          > > a muller.
                          >
                          > I have heard of people using cement mixers with sucess.
                          >
                          > John Grant

                          > The Home Foundrymen's Association website may be found here:
                          http://members.xoom.com/HWilkinson/index.htm
                          > It includes member project pages & links

                        • Ronald Thibault
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 18, 2001
                            At 08:58 PM 3/9/01 +0000, you wrote:
                            >I tried this once it worked but it did not last long
                            >eat itself up pretty quick.
                            >
                            >Henry ( Wood Dragon at http://dragonpitdesigns.com )

                            Motor or blades?

                            Ron Thibault
                            North Augusta, SC USA
                            Builder Miinie #2
                            Captain R/C Combat Ship USS Arizona
                            http://pages.prodigy.net/thibaultr/
                          • dragonpit@home.com
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 19, 2001
                              blades went first made new ones, motor went after
                              that.

                              henry

                              --- In hobbicast@y..., Ronald Thibault <thibaultr@p...> wrote:
                              > At 08:58 PM 3/9/01 +0000, you wrote:
                              > >I tried this once it worked but it did not last long
                              > >eat itself up pretty quick.
                              > >
                              > >Henry ( Wood Dragon at http://dragonpitdesigns.com )
                              >
                              > Motor or blades?
                              >
                              > Ron Thibault
                              > North Augusta, SC USA
                              > Builder Miinie #2
                              > Captain R/C Combat Ship USS Arizona
                              > http://pages.prodigy.net/thibaultr/
                            • tobetinker
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 26, 2004
                                Looking for something to use as a muller. Came across a santha
                                tilting wet grinder at a sale. It is used to grind food. Has a
                                granite bottom and two wheels made of granite. It rotate at about
                                130 rpm. It can be seen santhagrinder.com.
                              • GuyW
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 27, 2004
                                  Well, I couldn't bring that site up, but it seems that while the granite
                                  would last a veeery long time grinding food, it would have a short live
                                  "grinding" sand.

                                  Make your own version with concrete instead of granite??

                                  -Guy-

                                  > Looking for something to use as a muller. Came across a santha
                                  > tilting wet grinder at a sale. It is used to grind food. Has a
                                  > granite bottom and two wheels made of granite. It rotate at about
                                  > 130 rpm. It can be seen santhagrinder.com.
                                  >

                                  > This list is for discussion of metal casting
                                  > and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share
                                  sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                  otherwise solved contact the list owner by email:

                                • Rex Bosse

                                    > Looking for something to use as a muller. Came across a santha
                                    > tilting wet grinder at a sale. It is used to grind food. Has a
                                    > granite bottom and two wheels made of granite. It rotate at about
                                    > 130 rpm. It can be seen santhagrinder.com.
                                    >

                                    > This list is for discussion of metal casting
                                    > and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share
                                    sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                    otherwise solved contact the list owner by email:

                                    This list is for discussion of metal casting
                                    and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share photos and stuff: join Sandcrabs by sending a blank message to: sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                  • bill brauer

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 30, 2004
                                        I wouldn't hesitate to try it, if it were possible to remove or reduce the spring tension. The weight of the granite wheels should be enough to scrunch your sand and mix it. That link doesn't work and I wonder how large this item is. A good muller would be 3 feet or larger in diameter... If this was an industrial grain processor, it might be large enough, but if it's a tabletop unit that you store under the counter, it's too small for any but the smallest hobbyist use.

                                        Rex

                                        bill brauer <tobetinker@...> wrote:
                                        The wheels has a spring loaded on top pushing down. It does float up and down. It also has a scraper arm mounted to wheels assy that rub the side of the drum

                                        Rex Bosse wrote:Granite is probably 3 times as hard as concrete! Making wheels of concrete makes no sense to me...

                                        GuyW wrote:
                                        Well, I couldn't bring that site up, but it seems that while the granite
                                        would last a veeery long time grinding food, it would have a short live
                                        "grinding" sand.

                                        Make your own version with concrete instead of granite??

                                        -Guy-

                                        > Looking for something to use as a muller. Came across a santha
                                        > tilting wet grinder at a sale. It is used to grind food. Has a
                                        > granite bottom and two wheels made of granite. It rotate at about
                                        > 130 rpm. It can be seen santhagrinder.com.
                                        >

                                        > This list is for discussion of metal casting
                                        > and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share
                                        sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                        otherwise solved contact the list owner by email:

                                        This list is for discussion of metal casting
                                        and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share photos and stuff: join Sandcrabs by sending a blank message to: sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                        This list is for discussion of metal casting
                                        and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share photos and stuff: join Sandcrabs by sending a blank message to: sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                        This list is for discussion of metal casting
                                        and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share photos and stuff: join Sandcrabs by sending a blank message to: sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                      • Michael Wood, Cincinnati
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 30, 2004
                                          Believe it or not, I had one of these. They are used to grind flour and
                                          also to grind herbs and spices. They do wet and dry grinding, and they
                                          work like nobody's business for those uses. The wheel floats, but does
                                          weigh quite a bit. Indian restaurants use them, so you should see them
                                          coming onto the market used in the next few years, since there are more
                                          Indian restaurants than gas stations or McDonalds!
                                          Mike Wood, Cincinnati

                                          bill brauer wrote:

                                          >The wheels has a spring loaded on top pushing down. It does float up and down. It also has a scraper arm mounted to wheels assy that rub the side of the drum
                                          >
                                          >Rex Bosse <rexarino@...> wrote:Granite is probably 3 times as hard as concrete! Making wheels of concrete makes no sense to me...
                                          >The food grinder you describe would work fine if the wheels could "float". If the wheels are held down and forced to crush the grain by some mechanism, it may rapidly wear out, but if the wheels float, you better let me know where the sale is, then stand back while I jump on it
                                          >
                                          >Rex
                                          >
                                          >GuyW wrote:
                                          >Well, I couldn't bring that site up, but it seems that while the granite
                                          >would last a veeery long time grinding food, it would have a short live
                                          >"grinding" sand.
                                          >
                                          >Make your own version with concrete instead of granite??
                                          >
                                          >-Guy-

                                        • Stone Tool
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 31, 2004
                                            Gentlemen:

                                            As group owner it has been necessary to set this group up so that new
                                            members are automatically placed on moderated status until they have posted
                                            a few times ..... after which they are automatically changed to unmoderated
                                            status. Lately I have been switching everybody who posts casting related
                                            mail over to non-moderated status to reduce the moderation workload. If
                                            you are a member who has seldom if ever posted you will have noticed a
                                            delay in your messages.... this is the reason. I DO NOT moderate out
                                            posts for any reasons other than spam or if there is a flame war
                                            brewing...... I have moderated out a number of political posts.... which
                                            are simply another form of spam. I do not moderate arbitrarily or
                                            capriciously, or according to weather someone disagrees with my thoughts or
                                            ideas... or those of other members. The only reason anybody is moderated
                                            at this point is because they are "new" or have not posted..... All other
                                            members who were moderated at one time or another as a result of one fight
                                            or another are on normal status at this time. If you have any questions
                                            about this please contact me privately. owly@... Remember this
                                            is because of the purveyors of porn, and cheap prescription drugs and other
                                            garbage..... who join any and all email groups to spread their junk. It
                                            is an automatic Yahoo feature provided for this purpose.... don't take it
                                            personally please.
                                            The purpose of this post is to inform all members that I will be absent
                                            from September 2 through September 6th and will not be able to approve
                                            posts which are subject to moderation. If this is of concern to you
                                            please contact me in the next 24 hours or so and request that your status
                                            be changed.... if you on moderated status. Alternatively send a casting
                                            related post to this list between now and Wednesday evening and I will
                                            change you over automatically.
                                            As this is over Labor Day Weekend it should not be too great of a
                                            hardship.... most members, I would hope will be out recreating.....

                                            Note: Due to problems in the past which many of you remember, there
                                            currently is only one moderator... me....

                                            This post is an advisory.... not a request for assistance... please direct
                                            any responses, questions, etc... to me privately.

                                            Thanks.
                                          • crevicer@yahoo.com
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Sep 10, 2010
                                              ebay Item number: 270630753224