Re: [hobbicast] Re: lost foam

  • Dick Morris
    Message 1 of 45 , Dec 3, 2003
      Isn't blue/pink extruded and white expanded and molded from beads?

      I thought the colors for pink and blue were decided by the marketers. The
      pink matches the panther and the pink Owens-Corning fiberglass insulation.

      The blue stuff that I've been using for insulation around the house comes
      in both 1" and 2" from the local hardware box store and is Dow brand.

      Is the green stuff used by the florists any better or worse that the
      insulation? It seems to be a little less rigid/brittle.

      At 08:07 PM 12/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
      >I've used the blue foam and white foam. The white is definitely less dense,
      >but it has a lot larger beads,

      Dick Morris
      Anchorage, Alaska
    • John Sheerin
      Message 45 of 45 , Dec 7, 2004
        Catching up...
        There is a recipe for a ceramic coating for foam parts somewhere in the
        archives. It uses a certain kind of clay (can't remember which kind off
        hand), water, elmer's glue, and dish soap. If you can't find it, I will dig
        around for the recipe on my computer. Back when I was doing some casting
        (now in an apartment), I used this and it worked great. The coating would
        be a very thin black layer on the aluminum part when I pulled it out of the
        sand, and it would flake off (usually I could just tap the part on the
        ground and most would fall off). I can take a picture of one of the parts I
        cast if anyone is interested in the surface finish, etc.

        I used both white bead and blue score-board foam. The blue was much easier
        to cut and get a good finish with. I was doing all this in loose sand box
        sand vibrated to compact it around a part, but my 'vibrating' was just
        shaking the flask.

        John
        http://ldsg.snippets.org/HORNS/