Re: [hobbicast] Dental Casting Plaster (Newbie)

  • LLandstrom
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 3, 2001
      I use ispoproal alchohol on my wax patterns before
      pouring the investment to lessen the surface tension
      which helps create bubbles. didn't know about the
      soap. I've also used a weed burner to preheat the
      investment molds prior to pouring but pouring right
      after burnout is the best method.

      LL
      I never could spell isophropyl

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Steve Chastain
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 3, 2001
        Yes we used something called sure release... for the surface tension. I
        never saw the factory bottle as it was always in a small bottle like
        fingernail polish with a hand written label. I've thought about it for a
        while and we never vacuumed the investment . We just used a vibrator. The
        wax pattern was painted with a brush (investment). The investment was
        de-bubbled on the vibrator (before painting) and then investment was slowly
        poured around the painted pattern while it sat on the vibrator. So a vacuum
        while very helpful, is not essential. There was a wind up centrifugal
        caster. I never used it but Dad claimed it produced the best castings. I
        think the main goal in having me work in the lab was to keep me off the
        street, yet limit my ability to cause damage in the building.

        I used to get a quarter allowance...WOW! One time I got it changed into
        nickels and spent the rest of the week melting them down and casting
        quarters out of them. I put them in a coke machine and got a coke and
        change. I thought I was pretty cool, however I never did it again as it was
        so much work.

        They used to save extractions in a big jar. The smell was horrible when the
        jar was opened. I don't remember there being any formaldihide or alcohol in
        it. Every year Dad would melt all the gold out of them and make Christmas
        presents. My mom worked in the office...I don't thing he ever made anything
        for her. Gold is gold but she might have had a problem with it knowing where
        it came from.

        OK I'm sure you are all tired of the dental stories. I was gonna tell you
        about the time one kid hammered a nail into his little brother's head but
        I'm sure you've heard enough.

        Steve

        http://members.xoom.com/HWilkinson/index.htm
        > It includes member project pages & links

      • LLandstrom
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 4, 2001
          No, Tell us, Tell us!

          Did you cast the nail in gold afterwards and give it
          to the kid?

          LL
          PS Quarters cast in white brass don't work.

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/