Re: pattern making

  • nh_farmer
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2003
      The only foundry I saw finish the wood patterns used a varnish like
      polyurethane. They used mahogony for the wood pattern and sanded it
      to a smooth finish. Generally they used the wood pattern unfinished
      to make up the production patterns out of metal.

      JP

      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, integerspin <richard@i...> wrote:
      > hi
      > I subscribed to this group for a while about six months ago.
      > I didn't in fact do the castings I needed my self, I had a small
      > foundry do them.
      > I made an mdf pattern and have had about 20 of these items done so
      far..
      > I am just altering the pattern prior to haveing another ten cast.
      > Becuse i made the pattern without any undercut's I have to machine
      rather
      > a lot off the casting, so I am removing what I can from the
      pattern,
      > quicker to remove it onces than ten times?
      > I wondered what people paint patterns with, I was talking to
      someone at a
      > landrover show and he said they use a 2pack floor paint on their
      patterns,
      > brushed on it flows out like glass and is quite hard.. I didn't ask
      what
      > paint or where I get it though..
      > I did look in 'Bodge it and Quick' they have a few types of paint
      that
      > sound promising, but i cant spend a tenner a can on a few types of
      paint in
      > the
      > hope it is ok...
      >
      > any ideas..
      >
      > --
      > thanks richard
    • Brian Crocker
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2003
        Hallo all,

        15 years ago when I made patterns as a Tech Officer assisting a Lecturer in
        The subject of Patternmaking and Foundry Practice I used a timber called
        Jelutong it is soft with little or no grain and sands up to a nice finish.
        It was then finished with a "Patternmaking Paint" which was very hard.

        Kind regards,
        Brian and Rena in South Oz.

        sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com