Re: Working with scrap metal

  • edynm
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2003
      hey john
      I never clean any ally before a melt, nomally paint,oil etc
      burns off, I mean if its saturated in oil I give it a quick wipe but
      normally dont get too fussed. Basically anything lighter than
      alluminium floats to the top and just gets skimmed before pouring.
      Mind you Im no Pro just a backyard caster..he..he
      EDYN.
    • Ed Paradis
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2003
        John, the normal process for "me" is to remove as much foreign
        material (rubber busings, grease, plastic, steel, etc.) as will
        easily come off without too much work. I never remove paint. I will
        let the furnace do the rest of the removal and then skim the top, and
        usually the heavier stuff like steel will settle to the bottom of the
        crucible and I can remove it after the pour. I attempt to have the
        metal as clean as possible from the start to prevent contamination
        and to keep me on OK terms with the neighbors (they sometimes don't
        like large black clouds of smoke headed towards them). I'm finding
        that I have a preference for stuff that is less likely to have too
        much contamination to begin with such as pistons (remove the
        rings/gudgen pins, some have steel reinforcements inside though) and
        alloy wheels (a dog to get into crucible sized pieces sometimes).
        Both of these melt and pour well. I've been saving a lot of
        my "other" Al (mainly extruded, cans, gutter sections,etc.) for
        trading in as scrap and using the money for support of my metal
        addiction.

        Ed
        "Expiring minds want to know!"
        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "John Sheerin" <jsheerin@c...>
        wrote:
        > Hi guys,
        > What do you all like to do when melting down scrap aluminum that
        isn't clean
        > (ie, paint, bits of other metals or plastic attached, etc.)? Do
        you just
        > melt it and skim off the dross or do you try to clean it up a lot
        before
        > hand?
        >
        > John
      • Brent
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2003
          wrote:
          > Hi guys,
          > What do you all like to do when melting down scrap aluminum that
          isn't clean
          > (ie, paint, bits of other metals or plastic attached, etc.)? Do
          you just
          > melt it and skim off the dross or do you try to clean it up a lot
          before
          > hand?
          >
          > John

          I melt it and skim the dross.