Re: aluminum cans

  • edynm
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4 1:10 AM
      From what ive been told cans and other aluminium like window framing
      etc are not very good for casting, The main alli used for casting
      purposes is 356 it has silicon added to it to give it better flow
      characteristics, this enables it to flow into smaller crevaces when
      molten. when choosing scrap for casting see if the surface has a
      sandy or grainy surface, this means its sand casted and a good chance
      its 356. Honestly alli cans arnt worth the propane to melt. Too much
      dross and shrinkage.
      but thats just my opinion
      Edyn
    • Alaric B Snell
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4 4:43 PM
        edynm wrote:
        > From what ive been told cans and other aluminium like window framing
        > etc are not very good for casting, The main alli used for casting
        > purposes is 356 it has silicon added to it to give it better flow
        > characteristics, this enables it to flow into smaller crevaces when
        > molten. when choosing scrap for casting see if the surface has a
        > sandy or grainy surface, this means its sand casted and a good chance
        > its 356. Honestly alli cans arnt worth the propane to melt. Too much
        > dross and shrinkage.
        > but thats just my opinion

        To cast a vote *for* aluminium cans - they're free to me, and in the
        past few weeks I've got several bin bags full of crushed ones; and I've
        got a load of scrap copper pipe along with a 5kg bag of silicon powder
        (free as a 'sample' from a chemical company) on its way in the post, so
        I'm going to be improving the alloy somewhat!

        > Edyn

        ABS