Re: [hobbicast] Re: Propane burners

  • Yoda
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 5, 2003
      As this is my first attempt at a burner ... I plan on making something
      simular
      to Olivers "Upwind" burner ... as far as the small diameter pipe (1/4)
      going through
      the end of the main burner pipe (1 1/4 )..
      But it will have a 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 reducer on the back of it .. for the choke
      assy ...
      The jet pipe will be placed at the 1 1/4 end of the reducer ..
      No holes drilled in the burner pipe like the upwind ..
      I saw Woodragons setup in person and was impressed :)

      Im now trying to find some of the # 50's type drill bits ... 1/16 is the
      smallest I can find ..

      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 5, 2003
        Not at all, In fact most of the plans you see on the internet have
        brass jets, whether a welding tip, or a pipe plug.

        The main reason why brass is OK for this application is not just the
        lack of direct flame contact, but the fact that the propane flowing
        through the orifice etc. refrigerates the pipes at that point!

        Lets hear it for evaporative cooling!

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Yoda" <chue2k@a...> wrote:
        > Is it a bad idea to make a Burner jet on a brass tube ???
        > The body of the burner will be steel of course ..
        > Im just talking about the tube where the jet is ...
      • davidcmgd
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 5, 2003
          Its about 5 inches long, originally it was longer (7 inches) but at
          that length it would not draw enough air. I'll try and measure it
          tonight so that you have exact measurements. And post some photos.
          Dave

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • davidcmgd
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 5, 2003
            For small bits, stay away from the home centers and seek out an old
            hardware store or hobby shop. In the midwest ACE will carry all
            sizes down to #60.

            For your size burner, I think that you might look at the welding tips
            that have been mentioned on this list before.

            Dave

          • cvedrick
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 5, 2003
              If you plan to use a 1-1/4" dia. pipe, the #50 hole will probably be
              way too small. I use a 1/32" bit myself!

              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 5, 2003
                I would like to start with a small hole ... then go up until its just right
                Got the Foundry rammed up today .. and most of the burner assy done ...
                Man .. I realize that normal concrete produces heat while curing ...
                But this puppy is cookin' !!!
                Suppose the 100 degree temp outside has sumptin' to do with that ..
                Steam comes off everytime I uncover it !!
                Looks good so far !! I keep spritzin water on her and keeping it covered
                with a wet towel and plastic bag ..
                Cant wait to fire it up !!!

                Thanx for all the info guys .. Most appreciated ..

                > If you plan to use a 1-1/4" dia. pipe, the #50 hole will probably be
                > way too small. I use a 1/32" bit myself!
                >

                > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Yoda" <chue2k@a...> wrote:
                > > As this is my first attempt at a burner ... I plan on making
                > something
                > > simular
                > > to Olivers "Upwind" burner ... as far as the small diameter pipe
                > (1/4)
                > > going through
                > > the end of the main burner pipe (1 1/4 )..
                > > But it will have a 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 reducer on the back of it .. for
                > the choke
                > > assy ...
                > > The jet pipe will be placed at the 1 1/4 end of the reducer ..
                > > No holes drilled in the burner pipe like the upwind ..
                > > I saw Woodragons setup in person and was impressed :)
                > >
                > > Im now trying to find some of the # 50's type drill bits ... 1/16
                > is the
                > > smallest I can find ..

              • Dan Brewer

                  and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share photos and stuff: join Sandcrabs by sending a blank message to: sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 5, 2003
                    Thanx for the info Dan ..
                    I used spar 30 refractory .. and they didnt have any info for me ...
                    I think the first few days I'll just let it bake out on the deck ..
                    Its 100+ here in the afternoon .. Then I'll put a little more heat to it
                    with a cheapo hair dryer ..
                    Good idea !
                    I made the hole for the burner on an angle .. like Ive seen at the other
                    sites ...
                    It was a 10 gallon trash can .. and I plan on trimming the side down to give
                    me about 11" inches depth ...
                    I'll snap a few pics tomm AM .. I do all the outside stuff between 6 and 12
                    AM ..
                    Then sit under the AC with a Cold Beer !!! nuk nuk
                    > When you cure you furnace, do it slowly. A hair dryer woorks wonders.
                    Dont use the wifes go to the local thrift store. Hopfuly you cast a flare
                    in the burner inlet and it enters tanjently to the furnace body( not
                    directly at the crucible) Having a rounded edge on the vent helps a lot to
                    lesson the ampunt of noise that your furnace will produce. If you do indeed
                    have a burner that is 1 1/4 inches you will be able to melt small cars with
                    little effort. I am running a 3/4 inch burner in my furnace and get the
                    first melt in 15 min or so.
                    > Post some pics of your progress
                    > Dan in Auburn
                    >
                    > Yoda <chue2k@...> wrote:
                    > I would like to start with a small hole ... then go up until its just
                    right
                    > Got the Foundry rammed up today .. and most of the burner assy done ...
                    > Man .. I realize that normal concrete produces heat while curing ...
                    > But this puppy is cookin' !!!
                    > Suppose the 100 degree temp outside has sumptin' to do with that ..
                    > Steam comes off everytime I uncover it !!
                    > Looks good so far !! I keep spritzin water on her and keeping it covered
                    > with a wet towel and plastic bag ..
                    > Cant wait to fire it up !!!
                    >
                    > Thanx for all the info guys .. Most appreciated ..

                  • davidcmgd
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 5, 2003
                      I got my burner out and it measures 7 inches overall, from the end
                      of the tube to the end of the bell on the intake end. The tube
                      itself is 5.5 inches long. See photos section "Daves 3lb Furnace".
                      I also included a photo of the orifice.

                      Now that it has a pressure gauge, I can state that this burner is
                      stable from below 1psi to over 30 psi.

                      I hope this helps,
                      Dave

                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 5, 2003
                        Shweet Burner dave !!!
                        What kind of jet is in there ???
                        Nice idea putting that gauge on the jet tube ...

                        ~~Takes notes~~

                        > I got my burner out and it measures 7 inches overall, from the end
                        > of the tube to the end of the bell on the intake end. The tube
                        > itself is 5.5 inches long. See photos section "Daves 3lb Furnace".
                        > I also included a photo of the orifice.
                        >
                        > Now that it has a pressure gauge, I can state that this burner is
                        > stable from below 1psi to over 30 psi.
                        >
                        > I hope this helps,
                        > Dave
                        >
                        > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "davidcmgd" <davidc@m...> wrote:
                        > > Its about 5 inches long, originally it was longer (7 inches) but
                        > at
                        > > that length it would not draw enough air. I'll try and measure it
                        > > tonight so that you have exact measurements. And post some photos.
                        > > Dave
                        > >
                        > > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Clint D" <driggars@e...> wrote:
                        > > > How long did you make the e1/2" burner tube?
                        > > >
                        > > > Clint

                      • Yoda
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 5, 2003
                          Nevermind !!!
                          Just looked at the other pics ..

                          Nice !
                          > I got my burner out and it measures 7 inches overall, from the end
                          > of the tube to the end of the bell on the intake end. The tube
                          > itself is 5.5 inches long. See photos section "Daves 3lb Furnace".
                          > I also included a photo of the orifice.
                          >
                          > Now that it has a pressure gauge, I can state that this burner is
                          > stable from below 1psi to over 30 psi.
                          >
                          > I hope this helps,
                          > Dave
                          >
                          > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "davidcmgd" <davidc@m...> wrote:
                          > > Its about 5 inches long, originally it was longer (7 inches) but
                          > at
                          > > that length it would not draw enough air. I'll try and measure it
                          > > tonight so that you have exact measurements. And post some photos.
                          > > Dave
                          > >
                          > > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Clint D" <driggars@e...> wrote:
                          > > > How long did you make the e1/2" burner tube?
                          > > >
                          > > > Clint

                        • Clint D
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 5, 2003
                            Dave

                            OK, I had made one (1/2") to use in a coffee can furnace a couple of weeks
                            ago, and it is basically the same size as the one you made. I was just
                            wondering if I got it a little to long, my tube is aprox 5.5"

                            I did not see if you said it is used with a blower?

                            Clint

                            > I got my burner out and it measures 7 inches overall, from the end
                            > of the tube to the end of the bell on the intake end. The tube
                            > itself is 5.5 inches long. See photos section "Daves 3lb Furnace".
                            > I also included a photo of the orifice.
                            >
                            > Now that it has a pressure gauge, I can state that this burner is
                            > stable from below 1psi to over 30 psi.
                            >
                            > I hope this helps,
                            > Dave
                            >
                            > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "davidcmgd" <davidc@m...> wrote:
                            > > Its about 5 inches long, originally it was longer (7 inches) but
                            > at
                            > > that length it would not draw enough air. I'll try and measure it
                            > > tonight so that you have exact measurements. And post some photos.
                            > > Dave
                            > >
                            > > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Clint D" <driggars@e...> wrote:
                            > > > How long did you make the e1/2" burner tube?
                            > > >
                            > > > Clint

                          • Clint D
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 5, 2003
                              Dave

                              After seeing the pics, I now see that it is self aspirated

                              Clint

                              > I got my burner out and it measures 7 inches overall, from the end
                              > of the tube to the end of the bell on the intake end. The tube
                              > itself is 5.5 inches long. See photos section "Daves 3lb Furnace".
                              > I also included a photo of the orifice.
                              >
                              > Now that it has a pressure gauge, I can state that this burner is
                              > stable from below 1psi to over 30 psi.
                              >
                              > I hope this helps,
                              > Dave
                              >
                              > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "davidcmgd" <davidc@m...> wrote:
                              > > Its about 5 inches long, originally it was longer (7 inches) but
                              > at
                              > > that length it would not draw enough air. I'll try and measure it
                              > > tonight so that you have exact measurements. And post some photos.
                              > > Dave
                              > >
                              > > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Clint D" <driggars@e...> wrote:
                              > > > How long did you make the e1/2" burner tube?
                              > > >
                              > > > Clint

                            • edynm
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 6, 2003
                                --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Yoda" <chue2k@a...> wrote:
                                > Is it a bad idea to make a Burner jet on a brass tube ???
                                > The body of the burner will be steel of course ..
                                > Im just talking about the tube where the jet is ...

                                hey yoda
                                I dont know if this helps any?
                                The other replys basically answer your question, Ive built a
                                Reil type Monster Burner, and with it tuned and jetted correctly
                                it burns at the end of the tube and I can hold the burner pipe quite
                                close to the end. Also the cold propane and Air passing over the jet
                                pipe keeps it cool also. I used 10mm steel (fuel Line)for my jet pipe
                                with a nut brazed flush in the centre to accept a tweco tip. It slots
                                through two 10 mm bushes which are brazed on both sides of the bell,
                                and fastened with 4 M6x1.0mm fasteners which run through threads
                                tapped either side of each bush, I found that I have to do the
                                fasteners up quite tight to lock the jet pipe, and obtain correct
                                alignment, the only prob you might have with brass pipe is that it
                                may squash when tightened?..otherwise it should be ok!..]
                                GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!
                              • davidcmgd
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 6, 2003
                                  I should mention that I bored out the lead in and the output end of
                                  this pipe slightly, I was trying to improve the airflow and reduce
                                  the turbulence on the "in" end and create a flare on the "out" end.
                                  I also cleaned the pipe out with a round file to remove any burrs
                                  from its manufacture.

                                  The bored flare was not enough, so I had to make a tin one from and
                                  old coffee can for testing outside of the furnace.

                                  I would have made this burner tube shorter still except that the
                                  forged burner support on the furnace did not allow it, and as its
                                  bolts were cemented in by the refractory, modificaitons to it were
                                  not easy.