Re: regulators

  • tom_sand_crab
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 30, 2003
      Dan;

      Thanks for your suggestion. I posted earlier about air hose/propane
      hose, and took your (and others) advice and went with a flexible metal
      gas hose, with solid pipe fittings to make my connections. I'll look
      into a regulator as well.

      Tom
    • Ron Thompson
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
        While I agree with most of your post, I question the need for another valve. If your gas supply is some distance from your furnace, then yes, I can see the need for a quick way to shut it off. But where the tank is a few steps away, I think it is needless expense.
        I try to be open to new ideas, however, so if you have a good reason for the extra valve, I'd like to hear it.

        Ron Thompson
        On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast
        USA

        http://www.plansandprojects.com

        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
          A metal flex gas line is great for installing a fixed appliance, like a stove. It is designed to be easily bent into shape. In a furnace, however, I'd go with a flexible rubber hose that is rated for propane. If your design causes it to be flexed very often, like in setting it up and putting it away or moving it around, I don't think the metal line will survive very long. Propane rated rubber hose can be scrounged from old gas grills. The hose usually outlasts almost every other part. It can be cut and barb fittings with hose clamps are a good way to terminate it.

          One trick my father taught me was to use bar soap on pipe threads. Completely fill up the male thread with strokes against the bar, like filing it. The excess will fall off when the threads are mated. I have never had a leak using this method, and there is always a used sliver of soap around somewhere. I keep one in my tool box. I find the softer soaps are easier to use.

              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
                  I didn't mean to disparage your setup.
                  I have always just turned off the tank valve. I see no delay on the shut off, as the burner stops instantly.
                  I can see how a quarter turn would operate faster than a few turns of the tank valve.
                  You can't be too safe.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
                    When it goes to shit and you need to turn it of in a hurry the shit off
                    valve at the tank is a lot safer distance away from the action than one at
                    the burner. Having a valve at the burner is actually more dangerous if you
                    have a fire and turn it off at the burner because the hose is still
                    pressured up and should it burn through you have a secondary fire on you
                    hands.

                    I agree that a valve at the burner would be handy but it also makes it
                    possible to store pressurize gas in the hose. That is not something I would
                    want to do with a flammable gas. It makes a place where an accident can
                    happen.

                    As I have said before I have used air hose for years for propane for
                    intermittent use on the farm where the hose only carried pressure when it
                    was in use. The hoses lasted five or more years of farm use which is
                    considerably harder on them than casting because they lay in the back of a
                    pickup in the sun. Synthetic rubber and propane are compatible. It runs in
                    millions of tires around the world every day with no problems at all.

                    If I were building a set up under constant pressure there is no question
                    that I would use fuel rated hose. But for one that is being used
                    intermittently and attended air hose will be my choice.

                    For a regulator you need one that will take 200 PSI on the high side. The
                    last one I got was from an auto supply store and was a regulator for a paint
                    gun.

                    Safety is primarily in the operator not the individual specifications of the
                    equipment. Don't use anything that is unsafe but you don't need materials
                    that meet specifications for continues duty for something that is going to
                    be used a few hours a month. A furnace is an inherently dangerous device and
                    every part of it is should be checked before every use.
                    :
[...]
                    : Please visit our sponsor: Budget Casting Supply
                    : http://budgetcastingsupply.com/
                    :
                    : Files area and list services are at:
                    :
                    : To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                    :
                    : For problems that cannot be otherwise solved contact the list owner by
                    email:
                    : owly@...
                    :
                    :
                    :
                    : Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    :
                    :
                    :
                    : ---------------------------------
                    : Do you Yahoo!?
                    : SBC Yahoo! DSL - Now only $29.95 per month!
                    :
                    : [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    :
                    :
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
                      Watch out for the flexible metal hose. The university apartments stoves were
                      attacked with flexible metal accordion style hose. They put in new stoves
                      and one morning my wife woke me up be cause the stove was on fire. When I
                      pulled it out from the wall to shut off the gas the pipe broke and I had a
                      nice ball of flame for a few seconds. Of course a 1/2 inch pipe at 6 oz
                      pressure and no air does not make much of a fire. A wet wash rag will easily
                      put it out by grabbing the end of the pipe. And you can plug it with wet
                      toilet paper.

                      I assume that you got rubber hose with flexible metal braid on it. If you
                      used the other kind it is subject to sudden catastrophic failure.

                      For vehicles in Oklahoma soft copper pipe is all that is allowed to plumb
                      liquid propane from the tank to the regulator attached to the frame with
                      rubber lined brackets.

                      As long as the furnace is attended and down wind turning the valves off at
                      the propane tank solves all problems except any fires that may have started
                      and you should have enough fire extinguishers for them. If your furnace is
                      indoors. I would make sure the building is detached from anything valuable
                      like your house and made of metal.

                      I have no problem doing almost anything with propane outdoors including
                      running air wrenches with it. But I won't store it indoors. I will use a
                      propane torch or lantern indoors but it goes back into outdoor storage when
                      not in use. I don't want anything that is heavier than air and flammable in
                      the house.

                      Gordon

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
                        Ron
                        Dan is right. The ball valve is a safety issue. Ball valves have a number of
                        advantages. They provide an extra valve, which is a needles expense to some,
                        but an extra chance for others (the absent minded like myself). The ball valve
                        is a quick shutoff. When things go wrong you don't want to be wasting precious
                        seconds endlessly closing the cylinder valve. No other kind of valve comes
                        close to the ball valve for dependability. A plastic liner completely separates
                        the ball opening from the valve stem--so unlike every other gas rated valve,
                        they are virtually immune to leak problems. When young we expect things to work
                        properly, and feel that if they don't the problem should be fixed. Life is
                        simple. When aged we know better, and just want to avoid as much bad news as
                        possible. The needles expense is about three bucks.
                        Mike P.

                      • ben_englund
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
                          I bought a 0-60 psi regulator at Menards for 20 bucks. I have not
                          tried it yet but it lookd like it should work. Anybody have any
                          experience with these regulators? It says it is for stoves, grills,
                          and anything requiring high pressure.
                        • Jay Hayes
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
                            Tom,

                            An LP Gas tank valve should NEVER be used to throttle or control the outlet pressure from the tank. Doing so can cause excessive wear on the valve seat which can cause the
                            valve to leak. This would lead to a condition where the tank could not be shut off.

                            A regulator is the preferred method for insuring that the burner operates at a constant pressure. A needle valve can also be used to regulate the gas to the burner, but the
                            pressure may fluctuate as the tank temperature changes as the gas is withdrawn. A ball valve is a good shutoff valve, but not the best for throttling. A needle valve gives much
                            finer control.

                            Others may disagree, but I feel it is better to be safe than sorry.

                            Jay Hayes

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
                              Thanks! I never thought of that. The stuff is flexible so it can be
                              bent on occasion, but now that I think of it, it's not made for
                              constant flexing. Up here they're code for earthquake. But they
                              aren't for wrapping up and storing. I'll get a hose. Tried BBQ hose
                              and it wouldn't fit the 1/8" pipe that holds my jet. (Oliver upwind
                              design)

                              Thanks to everyone...your knowledge is a lifesaver! (probably
                              literally)

                              Tom
                            • tom_sand_crab
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
                                I have two reasons for going with the ball valve and the tank valve:

                                1) I can shut off the gas quickly with a quarter turn if something goes
                                wrong. (eternal optimist)

                                2) I was given it, along with the metal flexible hose (which I will
                                return to previous owner) and a couple of other fittings, so figured
                                since I have it I would use it. ;o)

                                Tom
                              • keporter@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
                                  Tom
                                  You will find that valves alone are not satisfactory regulators. The better
                                  your burner design--the more finely it can be tuned--the more unsatisfactory
                                  unregulated flow becomes. Therefore, if you find yourself satisfied with the
                                  performance of a mere valve (even a needle valve) on your furnace it will testify
                                  against your burner design.
                                  Mike P.

                                • keporter@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 1, 2003
                                    Tom
                                    So called flexible (pleated) metal hose is also not rated for anything more
                                    than 2 PSI.
                                    Mike P.

                                  • William Johns
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 2, 2003
                                      Ron wrote:
                                      >The needless expense is about three bucks.

                                      My father would call this "cheap insurance." Three bucks for an extra
                                      chance to avoid catastrophe? Why not? It doesn't hurt anything, and it
                                      just might save your ass.

                                      On the other hand, I wouldn't say that the absence of a ball valve is a
                                      reason to not use the furnace, either. It's just that, given the
                                      choice, I'd rather have the valve than the three bucks.

                                      Just my unsolicited opinion.

                                      Bill

                                      --

                                      "SPAM: Soylent Pink?"
                                    • Gordon Couger
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 3, 2003
                                        Two excellent reasons. I would put the shut off valve some distance from the
                                        burner or make sure to always shut off the tank and bleed the line down when
                                        your done. A line full of propane a 0 PSI is safe but at high pressure it
                                        poses a small risk. If the tank valve is left open and the ball valve is use
                                        to turn the system off then stored you have a large risk in case of a fire.

                                        I know you will never do this but my friend Lucky would never do a lot of
                                        things either and he has managed to saw off all the finger on his right
                                        hand, blow up 1 shot gun and Ruger Single action cylinder, ruin his back and
                                        left sholder and elbow driving steel posts one handed after cutting off his
                                        fingers. We started calling him lucky when he was looking back at a box bald
                                        from a tractor seat and caught a 1 & 1/8 inch nut in the teeth when it
                                        popped off when he hit some concrete. Had he been looking forward it would
                                        have hit him at the base of the skull and killed him.

                                        The best way to prevent accident is to arrange things so they can't happen.

                                        Gordon