A/F vs A/FS (Class "A"/ Furnace vs Class "A"/ Furnace Supercharged as we used to say)

  • WDSmith
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2003
      From: "Clint D" <driggars@...>

      > Wds
      > I still run the forced air burner with mine, I kind of like it because I
      > feel that I can have a little more adjustment when needed.

      === Exactly my point. With infinite control over both air and gas by
      twisting a knob and idiot can get it to burn however he thinks is right.
      Few, if any, skills or knowledge required and very little common sense. It
      is just my style: have no idea what you are doing but build in enough
      adjustment range that you may get it to work :o)

      > But I was impressed with the unforced air burner, I tried one before and
      could not get
      > it to work half as good.

      === My experience exactly. I probably should qualify that by saying I was
      experimenting with unproven designs, techniques and conditions, little
      knowledge and slightly less research.... What we professionals call "a wild
      hare" :o)

      > I am building a couple of more furnaces, the next burner will be with out
      > blower, this way I have my choice of both worlds.

      === Once again: Me too!
      I have a very small burner which, IIUC, was made by the illustrious Dr.
      Frankenburner. I am reluctant to use it in a furnace because it serves so
      many other functions so well. It was last seen clamped to a pistol grip and
      being used in lieu of a rosebud torch tip on my O/A rig. Forget comparing
      the efficiency of a blown propane furnace vs unblown. Try comparing the cost
      of operating a propane burner vs the cost of operating an O/A torch with a
      HUGE tip instead. You will quickly see what I mean.

      When you get through with that exercise, run some motion and time studies on
      converting a NA burner to a different application vs doing the same with a
      forced air burner. I can have the NA burner in a foundry furnace or heating
      a pot of soup in less than a minute.

      Don't tell Mike I sais this but the forced air burner only has two
      conditional advantages: (a) The parts list may favor some junk piles more
      than others. (b) No talent required. :o)

      WDSmith