crucible

  • ohnofatman
    Message 1 of 55 , May 15 5:45 AM
      I tried using a castable refractory (wet concrete consistency) in my
      gingery style crucible mold but it was a complete failure. the
      refractory never set up and crumbled upon removal from mold. no doubt
      I used the wrong ratio of water to the mix, since this refractory was
      given to me i'll have to experiment further with it. I then used a
      refractory that has a more plastic consistency and rammed it into the
      mold much the same as ramming green sand. The crucible was a little
      difficult to remove but that was because I used a silicon spray for a
      mold release and all that ramming scraped it off the walls of the
      mold (my theory of course). When the crucible did come out it looked
      good and was solid except the lip was a little rough because I didn't
      ram hard enough at first. Set it in my $10 goodwill toaster oven (set
      the oven on its end so the crucible would set right) and cooked it
      overnight at 200 degrees. Removed it out this morning and it was hard
      and ready to be fired in the furnace (this weekend). Looks like you
      can get four or five crucibles from a 50lb box of of this type of
      refractoy, cost was I think $30 for the refractory.
    • Dan Brewer
      Message 55 of 55 , Dec 4, 2007
        Look at the BCS site for lifting tongs and pouring shanks. You should be
        able to make suitable copies.

        Dan in Auburn

        _____