Casting brass key scrap

  • Aaron Toney
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2003
      A friend of mine is a lock smith. He has access to large amounts
      of brass key scrap. I have found a few web sites talking about melting
      down scrap brass fittings but has anyone out there tried melting down key
      shavings before. If so fire me an email if you dont mind my picking your
      brain a bit off list.

      Thanks,

      Aaron
    • cvedrick
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2003
        Most keys are of either steel, aluminum or brass. Unless you can
        seperate the scrap accurately, you are likely to gt some really bad
        melts out of it.

        > A friend of mine is a lock smith. He has access to large
        amounts
        > of brass key scrap. I have found a few web sites talking about
        melting
        > down scrap brass fittings but has anyone out there tried melting
        down key
        > shavings before. If so fire me an email if you dont mind my picking
        your
        > brain a bit off list.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Aaron
      • cvedrick
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2003
          You would probably want a furnace that will hold at least 25# of
          aluminum. Better would be a 40# or 50# unit.

          also on another project I want to cast a hub thats
          > 2-1/2" thick about 12" dia what size of furnace would be required
          > and how should I build it, I was thinking propane as thats what I
          > already have in the shop any Info would be appiciated thank you
          Scott
        • martin
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2003
            Most professionals use blanks like Best, and only one type at that.
            Almost all keys are [plated] brass.

            --
            ---
            Martin Klingensmith