Re: [hobbicast] Digest Number 1609

  • Seth of Newcastle
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2003
      I have a large ( 6" dia. .5" thick ) brass fitting I would like to melt
      down. I wish to make it into smaller pieces to use as knife guards. I have a
      forge that will get to 2300 or so, 2 sq ft of leftover kaowoll and can whip
      up a micro mongo ( side arm version ) burner. What would you guys advise I
      do for a one time melt.

      Thanks

      Seth
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2003
        Seth,
        Of which Newcastle are you?

        WDSmith

        > I have a large ( 6" dia. .5" thick ) brass fitting I would like to melt
        > down. I wish to make it into smaller pieces to use as knife guards. I have
        > forge that will get to 2300 or so, 2 sq ft of leftover kaowoll and can
        whip
        > up a micro mongo ( side arm version ) burner. What would you guys advise I
        > do for a one time melt.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Seth
      • sethofnewcastle
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 30, 2003
          > Of which Newcastle are you?

          Seth of Newcastle is my name in the S.C.A.

          Seth
        • WDSmith
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 30, 2003
            Then you probably won't want to drop by and use my furnace :o)

            wds
            (20 miles from Newcastle, OK)

            > Seth of Newcastle is my name in the S.C.A.
            >

            > Seth
          • sethofnewcastle
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 30, 2003
              Not from Baton Rouge, LA. Thanks for almost giving me that option ; )

              Seth

              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "WDSmith" <mediasmith@c...> wrote:
              > Then you probably won't want to drop by and use my furnace :o)
              >
              > wds
              > (20 miles from Newcastle, OK)

            • cvedrick
              Message 6 of 6 , May 1, 2003
                "Seth of Newcastle" <Sethofnewcastle@h...> wrote:
                > I have a large ( 6" dia. .5" thick ) brass fitting I would like to
                melt
                > down. I wish to make it into smaller pieces to use as knife guards.
                I have a
                > forge that will get to 2300 or so> >

                Seth:

                If the fitting will fit into your forge, you could heat it to the
                softening (not melting) point and break off chunks with your tongs.

                A crucible type foundry is a lot of work for a one shot melt, even a
                simple one out of materials already on hand.

                Even it it will not fit into the forge, you could use a charcoal type
                barbecue pit, or even a hole in the ground, with a blow pipe running
                off of a vacuume cleaner. Oops, I also just described the simplest
                type of crucible furnace!! LOL.