Chimmney Flue Liner

  • Derstine, Gerald
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
      Hello,
      Did anybody on the group use a flue liner in their furnace, and how well
      did it hold up? I saw a few guy used flowerpots and pretty well melted the
      clay. I was going to use a flue surrounded by sand, clay, and cement
      mixture in my first furnace. As I was getting ready to shorten the flue to
      fit the furnace, in a moment of inattention it rolled off the table onto the
      ground and looked like Humpty Dumpty, a bunch of pieces. I felt that I
      just threw 10 bucks out the window and went ahead and cast the furnace
      without the liner. It had held up fairly well, the mixture never really got
      a hard glaze to it and I can scrape grooves in the side of the chamber if
      I'm not careful with my crucibles. I still am wondering how the flue liner
      would of held up. I saw it mentioned in the "Backyard Casting" Web site but
      never heard of it mentioned by anybody who tried it. I'm off next week and
      going to cast some lost foam parts for my boat. Fishing season is coming up
      in the northeast of Pennsylvania, as soon as winter gives up it's last
      dying breath, It's 30 degrees after a weekend of 70's, soon to go back up.
      Have a great week everybody!
      Jerry, N3ggv
    • Bob Engelhardt
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
        "Derstine, Gerald" wrote:
        > Did anybody on the group use a flue liner in their furnace, and how well
        > did it hold up? ...

        Yeah, I did. Seemed like a good idea. I cut it down, cut a tuyere
        (sp?) ( with difficulty), fired it up and it cracked immediately. Like
        you said, $10 down the drain. Bob