Re: [hobbicast] lead/antimony

  • Daniel C. Postellon
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2003
      I was told last night by a bullet caster that the alloy has been changed in
      the US. He didn't know what it was, but it melts at a higher temperature.
      Any clues as to what this might be? Dan P
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2003
        Try the Yahoo bullet casting group, perhaps they will be able to help you.
        It is CB-L@yahoogroups.com Here in the UK the alloy is 96%lead and 4%
        antimony (there is supposed to be a small amount of tin present, but usually
        gets lost in the re-cycling). Chatting to some of the American bullet
        casters there are various tales of wheelweight alloy running from 3% to 5%
        antimony. You could always cast something in it, then weight the casting in
        air and then suspended in water to calculate it's specific gravity and work
        backwards from that to find the ration of the antimony and the tin.

        Tony Wells.