Need to refill my old-style propane tanks?

  • jeffgnu <zbadone@bigfoot.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2003
      I have a dual #20 propane tank setup and I am getting very low on
      propane. My tanks use the old-style valves. I know that I must get
      the new-style OPD (?) style valves before they will refiill them. I've
      heard of others swapping thier tanks at a tank swapping refill places
      (ie. Walmart, K-mart, etc...) This will save money on buying the new
      valves, purging the tanks, etc...

      My question is, will I have to purchase any adapters to fit my
      old-style setup with the newer valves? Anything else I need to know
      about setting up the newer tanks to work with my casting furnace?

      I've searched the archives and seen a few posts, but nothing that
      would ease my concerns with the new-style valves.

      I also looked at getting a larger yard tank(s) but that is out of the
      question for now, will be moving to a new home soon but still have
      sometime to do some more casting before that occurs.

      I would like to get a couple #30 or #40 tanks hooked up to my manifold
      system.

      Thanks.
    • gabil1980 <gabil@softdisk.com>
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2003
        Had the same prob with 4 bottles. Used Wally World with no problem,
        (and went on 3 different occasions) After buying an adapter, got home
        and found didnt need it, my regulator set up fit. The new style
        screws on outside and old inside. This procedure was about double the
        cost of a normal refill at my propane business, but once a change out
        was done, just went back to the refilling as usual.

        bill pace

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "jeffgnu <zbadone@b...>"
        <zbadone@b...> wrote:
        > I have a dual #20 propane tank setup and I am getting very low on
        > propane. My tanks use the old-style valves. I know that I must get
        > the new-style OPD (?) style valves before they will refiill them.
        I've
        > heard of others swapping thier tanks at a tank swapping refill
        places
        > (ie. Walmart, K-mart, etc...) This will save money on buying the new
        > valves, purging the tanks, etc...
      • Chris Boyer
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2003
          Just did this last fall. Called the local propane dealer. Asked about
          swapping a 20# for a full 40# with the new valve. I got a refurbish 40#
          full for $26 (I think). I have 1 more to do and will do the same thing.

          You probably wont need adapters since the new valves are backward compatible
          with the old style connections. There shouldn't be any difference in setup.
          I have heard you cant run the new tanks upside down like some do. I have
          never tried it.

          CB

          > I have a dual #20 propane tank setup and I am getting very low on
          > propane. My tanks use the old-style valves. I know that I must get
          > the new-style OPD (?) style valves before they will refiill them. I've
          > heard of others swapping thier tanks at a tank swapping refill places
          > (ie. Walmart, K-mart, etc...) This will save money on buying the new
          > valves, purging the tanks, etc...
          >
          > My question is, will I have to purchase any adapters to fit my
          > old-style setup with the newer valves? Anything else I need to know
          > about setting up the newer tanks to work with my casting furnace?
          >
          > I've searched the archives and seen a few posts, but nothing that
          > would ease my concerns with the new-style valves.
          >
          > I also looked at getting a larger yard tank(s) but that is out of the
          > question for now, will be moving to a new home soon but still have
          > sometime to do some more casting before that occurs.
          >
          > I would like to get a couple #30 or #40 tanks hooked up to my manifold
          > system.
          >
          > Thanks.

          ---