Re: [hobbicast] Cupola!!!!

  • Jim Clary
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2001
      Jim Kreter,

      Yes, Jim, you sacrifice the liner. Congratulations! Sounds like you're on
      the way.

      Jim Clary

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 5, 2001
          I have questions- Is what Jim has done is use a steel ladle, coated it with
          some sort of molten metal resistant material, so as not to have to use a
          ceramic crucible to pour with- in broad terms? Sort of a sacrificial
          material. If it flakes off, no loss- just recoat it? Just to receive the
          molten iron from the cupola spout?

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 5, 2001
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 5, 2001
              Jim,

              Leave it in. When you pre heat the ladle the next time you pour, to bring it
              up to 1000-1500F(or hotter if you can) then use it to receive the new iron
              at around 2800-3000F, hold it a few extra seconds and the new hot iron
              should melt the small bit that is still in the ladle. The hotter you get it
              in pre-heating the more likely it will get heated up to pouring temp when
              the new iron sits on it for a few extra seconds.

              Jim

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 5, 2001
                  > Brain, Klaus and I fired up the cupola with the new fan, after ramming
                  > up several large moulds for cast iron round stock and mould weights.
                  >
                  > We had been advised by Steve Chastain to have a higher bed than normal,
                  ran
                  > about 22 to 24 inches of 1.5 to 2.0 coke and tossed in about 30 lbs of
                  > charges.
                  > This was to be a practice run, not a produce something really useful heat.
                  >
                  > Brian turned on the blower after a 20 min soak and about the time a 2 inch
                  > chunk of coke blew out the stack and landed at our feet we agreed that the
                  > stack might be over blown. We throttled it back and 5 min later we had an
                  > impressive amount of bright orange liquid cast iron sitting in our ceramic
                  > ladle liner. Had to pour it in a mould, which one. It was funny to
                  review
                  > the video tonight, we had talked about what to do before hand but until
                  you
                  > are working with two other folks, it get confusing at times. All of the
                  > equipment worked exceeding well. Steves fan design is exceptional. On
                  the
                  > other hand, my mould techniques will need a lot of work and we definitely
                  > need to rehearse who is responsible for what.
                  > Anyone know how to get a couple of pounds of cast iron out of a ceramic
                  > ladle liner??
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Jim

                  > The Home Foundrymen's Association website may be found here:
                  http://members.xoom.com/HWilkinson/index.htm
                  > It includes member project pages & links

                • LLandstrom
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
                    I don't know what happening here as I've replyed
                    several times and it dosen't make the list and the
                    other lists I'm on at yahoo are working so I'll try
                    again:

                    http://virtualindian.org/7wpupdate.htm

                    Above is the link for the cases. I have since made
                    considerable progress from what you see and am doing
                    the other half. I'm more than a little concerned about
                    using 713 because of the larger gating required. As
                    you can see in the pictures which was cast in scrap
                    aluminum as a test, there is a little shrinkage around
                    the motormounts. This has since been fixed with larger
                    sprues, gates and runners. the other side of the cases
                    has an even larger section which I compensate for with
                    a higher shrink factor in these areas and larger
                    gating.

                    You can follow the links on the above to follow the
                    pattern making methodology.

                    http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                  • Jim Clary
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
                      Lyle,

                      Your castings look great! I can't see any shrink in the pictures but that
                      may be because that detail doesn't show up. If you're getting shrink on
                      massive (relative term) sections it is because the solidification sequence
                      is off. Thinner sections are freezing between the thicker sections and their
                      hotter metal feed path. Everything has to freeze in the proper sequence. If
                      there is a section that freezes after the section that feeds it, it will
                      have shrink. This has nothing to do with the shrink "rate" used in
                      constructing the pattern so changing that will have no effect whatsoever.
                      Everything has to freeze in sequence from the part furtherest from the sprue
                      to the down-sprue last. This sequence gets some help from the pour simply
                      because the last, hottest metal ends up in the down-sprue because it is the
                      last metal to leave the ladle or crucible. Increasing the size of the sprue
                      will have no effect unless it is a direct feeder to a section that has
                      shrink which is seldom the case. With non-ferrous alloys, making sure that
                      the casting is freezing in the proper sequence is critical. If there is an
                      isolated section that has shrink, it is because the feeding path to it
                      freezes before it does, period. It may require a direct riser on the thicker
                      section to feed it, or a chill on it to force it to freeze before it's feed
                      path freezes, which simply just changes the sequence to the proper order.
                      Another thing that will help your casting quality is to cut the down-sprue
                      at a 45 degree angle so that the metal is supported on the way down instead
                      of falling the vertical distance of the sprue height which causes turbulence
                      which causes dross inclusions in the casting.

                      Jim Clary

                      > I don't know what happening here as I've replyed
                      > several times and it dosen't make the list and the
                      > other lists I'm on at yahoo are working so I'll try
                      > again:
                      >
                      > http://virtualindian.org/7wpupdate.htm
                      >
                      > Above is the link for the cases. I have since made
                      > considerable progress from what you see and am doing
                      > the other half. I'm more than a little concerned about
                      > using 713 because of the larger gating required. As
                      > you can see in the pictures which was cast in scrap
                      > aluminum as a test, there is a little shrinkage around
                      > the motormounts. This has since been fixed with larger
                      > sprues, gates and runners. the other side of the cases
                      > has an even larger section which I compensate for with
                      > a higher shrink factor in these areas and larger
                      > gating.
                      >
                      > You can follow the links on the above to follow the
                      > pattern making methodology.
                      >
                      > LL

                      > http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

                      > The Home Foundrymen's Association website may be found here:
                      http://members.xoom.com/HWilkinson/index.htm
                      > It includes member project pages & links

                    • Stone Tool
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
                        A friend of mine has an AddaPhase 3 phase rotary inverter for sale..... I
                        don't have the specs on it handy, but as I recollect it is capable of
                        driving a 20 HP 3 phase motor...... It's a big one! If anybody is
                        interested in it please contact me off list at owly@... I'll
                        get specifications for you.

                        H.W.