Re: [hobbicast] Re: Homemade charcoal

  • Colin Croucher
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 3, 2003
      Bill.

      I also have two methods of making charcoal, the way the Australian pioneers
      used to do it, and a later method using 40 gal drums both are very
      effective, and simple to do.
      If any body wants to know just email me
      Col From OZ

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 3, 2003
        try this lite fire cover when smoke changes color cover with dirt try
        smaller wood or spilt it terry
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 3, 2003
          I'd like to know.
          Thanks.
          Keith

          At 08:55 PM 2/3/2003 +1100, you wrote:
          >Bill.
          >
          >I also have two methods of making charcoal, the way the Australian pioneers
          >used to do it, and a later method using 40 gal drums both are very
          >effective, and simple to do.
          >If any body wants to know just email me
          >Col From OZ

          Keith Kinney
          Evansville, Indiana USA
          Keith@...
          WWW.HerculesEngines.com

          To join the Hercules Engines e-mail list send an email to:
          HerculesEnginesGroup-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        • Daniel C. Postellon
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 3, 2003
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 3, 2003
              Okay, my curiosity is piqued. What are the details to making charcoal
              in 40 gallon drums? Will 55 gal work okay (that's what I can get hold
              of)?

              RayHex

              Colin Croucher wrote:

              method using 40 gal drums both are very
              > effective, and simple to do.
              > If any body wants to know just email me
              > Col From OZ
            • Clint D
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 3, 2003
                Col
                I would be interested in seeing the two methods
                Clint
                driggars@...

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • graham_h_miller <graham_h_miller@hotmail
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 4, 2003
                  Hi,

                  From surfing around, one of the two methods is to get an old oil drum
                  (retort) stuff it full of blocks of wood, with air gaps, and either
                  ignite the wood, or seal it and place it in a fire (obviously don't
                  seal it perfectly, or it'll explode). In either case, you basically
                  burn wood in a steel drum with no air.

                  The other method, I think, is the kiln method where you basically
                  bury a fire and wait for it to cool down. I'll be digging mine out
                  this evening and I should get the pictures back this afternoon as
                  well, so I'll post those up if anyone is interested. I only chose
                  this method cos I happened to find a couple of rusty old wheelbarrows
                  in a skip before I found an oil drum!

                  HTH

                  Graham

                  --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Clint D" <driggars@e...> wrote:
                  > Col
                  > I would be interested in seeing the two methods
                  > Clint
                  > driggars@e...

                • Colin Croucher
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 4, 2003
                    The drum size does not matter, the bigger the better, depends on how much
                    fuel you want, I get three or four drums going at the same time.
                    CHEAP FUEL for all you cupe melters out there.
                    Col. C

                    > Okay, my curiosity is piqued. What are the details to making charcoal
                    > in 40 gallon drums? Will 55 gal work okay (that's what I can get hold
                    > of)?
                    >
                    > RayHex
                    >
                    > Colin Croucher wrote:
                    > >
                    > method using 40 gal drums both are very
                    > > effective, and simple to do.
                    > > If any body wants to know just email me
                    > > Col From OZ
                    >

                    > This list is for discussion of metal casting
                    > and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share
                    sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                    > or join the Coffee Lounge group (by approval)

                    > For problems that cannot be otherwise solved contact the list owner by
                    email:

                    This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and are
                    addressed. If you are not the original recipient, any use, dissemination,
                    forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.
                    If you received this email in error, please notify the sender.

                    This message has been scanned for viruses by the Dragnet CleanMail Service.
                  • Jerry Braun
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 4, 2003
                      I would like to find out your methods
                      Jerry in Spokane
                      > I also have two methods of making charcoal, the way the Australian
                      pioneers
                      > used to do it, and a later method using 40 gal drums both are very
                      > effective, and simple to do.
                      > If any body wants to know just email me
                      > Col From OZ

                    • Jeff Benson
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 4, 2003
                        Here is my two cents:

                        To Make Charcoal:

                        Take a 55 gallon drum without its lid and punch twelve
                        1/4" holes around the diameter about 1/2"
                        below the top of the rim. Next, flip over the drum
                        and cut a hole in the center of the bottom large
                        enough to fit a store bought galvanized duct roughly
                        four inches in diameter and twelve inches in
                        length. Turn over the drum again and fill with
                        seasoned fire wood. Criscross wire between the 1/4"
                        punched holes to keep the wood inside the drum. Place
                        drum, top down, over a bed of sand. On one
                        corner put a stone under the rim to make a large
                        enough opening for an oily rag. Install the duct into
                        the hole on the bottom, now the top, and light the
                        rag. When the wood is caught, about the time
                        the smoke clears from the oil, place two more stones
                        around the lip to lift the drum about two inches.
                        Pour sand around the base high enough to cover the
                        space made by the stones and cover the
                        holes punched for the wire. Next, remove the duct and
                        place a fire brick or two over the hole and
                        pour sand over the top covering any holes. Let it
                        burn over night, and once cooled, the resulting
                        charcoal can take foundry or forge close to the molten
                        iron range instead of the low melt range of
                        store bought charcoal.

                        This process was demonstrated by Eric Hollenbeck of
                        Blue Ox Millworks in Eureka on 6-25-2001.

                        www.blueoxmill.com

                        Jeff

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 4, 2003
                          I believe that 40 Imperial gallon is the same as 55 US gallons. Dan
                          > Okay, my curiosity is piqued. What are the details to making charcoal
                          > in 40 gallon drums? Will 55 gal work okay (that's what I can get hold
                          > of)?
                          >
                          > RayHex
                          >
                          > Colin Croucher wrote:
                          > >
                          > method using 40 gal drums both are very
                          > > effective, and simple to do.
                          > > If any body wants to know just email me
                          > > Col From OZ
                          >

                          > This list is for discussion of metal casting
                          > and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share
                          sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                          > or join the Coffee Lounge group (by approval)

                          > For problems that cannot be otherwise solved contact the list owner by
                          email:

                        • Colin Croucher
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 5, 2003
                            Raymond.
                            The drum size does not matter. the size I quoted was simply an arbitrary
                            size that I thought most would be familiar with.
                            We use 44 Gal ( Imp) drums here in OZ, they work like charm.
                            I am including some special info for you, please read over those and then
                            decide what you want to do.
                            Regards
                            Col Croucher
                            email me through this link.
                            col@...
                            or for more info visit:
                            http://www.myhomefoundry.com

                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 5, 2003
                              Hi,

                              OK, so I dug out the wheelbarrow to see what was in there and
                              basically the answer was lots of charcoal and lots of partially burnt
                              wood. When you seal it off with the wheelbarrow it appears that what
                              ever is burning fiercly turns to charcoal and everything else just
                              becomes kindling for the next lot.

                              Graham
                            • Rupert Wenig
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 7, 2003
                                Hello Graham,
                                From what I understand you need to add a little bit of air to your
                                "charcoal oven" to burn off the non wanted stuff (gases, etc.). sound to
                                me like you had the wheel barrow sealed up too tight.

                                Rupert