Re: [hobbicast] Scavenging/design

  • keporter@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2003
      > Thomas
      > Six inch diameter exhaust.
      > Mike P.

    • collegemachinist <collegemachinist@yahoo
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2003
        My furnace only has a 5" bore a 6" exhaust would not be possible
        unless you are talking 6 square inch, which is doable.

        If 6" is needed for a 3/4 burner (got your design from Dan), would a
        1/2 inch work just fine for my small 5" bore. What is the
        approximate formula to relate burner size to exhaust port?

        Dan said that 4" long x 1/2 diameter set of inlets was needed for the
        burner, if I scale back to 1/2 inch burner would the length still be
        4" or scaled down also (what ratio).

        I was thinking about using the 3/16id by 5/16od brass tube from
        online metals to mount the tweeco tip since it would provide less
        constriction to air flow than the 3/8 od of standard brass gas
        fittings.

        Thomas

      • keporter@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2003
          Tomas said:
          "My furnace only has a 5" bore a 6" exhaust would not be possible
          unless you are talking 6 square inch, which is doable."

          In that case, you won't ever turn the 3/4" up far enough to need the full
          exhaust size so don't worry about it. In your case a smaller exhaust is
          practical.
          > If 6" is needed for a 3/4 burner (got your design from Dan), would a
          > 1/2 inch work just fine for my small 5" bore. What is the
          > approximate formula to relate burner size to exhaust port?

          That depends on the burner type, effectiveness, and gas pressure you plan to
          run it at.

          > Dan said that 4" long x 1/2 diameter set of inlets was needed for the
          > burner, if I scale back to 1/2 inch burner would the length still be
          > 4" or scaled down also (what ratio).

          Scaled down to four intakes (air openings) 5/16" x 2 1/2"

          > I was thinking about using the 3/16id by 5/16od brass tube from
          > online metals to mount the tweeco tip since it would provide less
          > constriction to air flow than the 3/8 od of standard brass gas

          That's a fine plan, Tom. You should be able to run both internal MIG thread
          and external pipe thread on that size (put the tube in a drill and spin it
          under a file to prepare it for a 1/8" pipe thread die). Make sure the tube
          length does not fall below 3" (not including the 1 1/2" long MIG tip). The
          1/2" burner is probably a better choice for your furnace. You have done very
          well with your questions up to this point. I will answer no more of them
          here. If you need private help and are willing to sign a nondisclosure
          agreement, then I will take this further--otherwise not.