RE: [hobbicast] Re: muller progress and door question

  • Meagher, Mike
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 3, 2003

      > The fill hole is about 2-1/2" wide, I think. Do they make
      > expandable plugs that size?

      2.5" expansion plug (mechanical test plug)...

      McMaster-Carr catalog no. 2598K35......$20.60

      The plug has a toggle handle on it similar to a lever-vent radiator cap. A picture of the plug can be found in McMaster-Carr's online catalog. A bit on the spendy side--a less expensive version might be available at a local marine dealer.

      Mike
      Carrollton, TX
    • Lyle <creepinogie@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 3, 2003
        Better yet, smear some already mulled sand around the opening before
        dumping in the unmulled sand. that way all the crevaces around the
        door are filled with mulled sand and everything will come out mixed.

        Lyle

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@c...>
        wrote:
        > The fill hole is about 2-1/2" wide, I think. Do they make
        expandable plugs
        > that size?
        >
        > I think the sliding door, and leaving the small area of unmixed
        sand it the
        > best option. A slider would make it easy to close the door in the
        middle of
        > emptying the thing, so I'm not lifting a 100lb bucket of sand up.
        The small
        > amount of unmixed sand could be emptied out first and dumped back
        in the
        > mixer to be mulled.

        Twist a
        > handle on the plug and it expands to fit the hole. It would
        probably need to
        > be installed in a tube in order to seal properly.
        > >
        > > Alternately, a radiator cap or oil filler cap on automotive
        engines. Not
        > the plastic ones found on today's engines but the older steel types
        that
        > used a twist/lock arrangement on the valve covers. They would need
        to be
        > somewhat larger in order to get the sand out of the muller quickly.
        > >
        > > Hope this helps
        > >
        > > Mike
        > > Carrollton, TX
        > >

        > > This list is for discussion of metal casting
        > > and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to
        share
        > photos and stuff: join Sandcrabs by sending a blank message to:
        > sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > > or join the Coffee Lounge group (by approval)

        > > For problems that cannot be otherwise solved contact the list
        owner by
        > email:
        > > owly@t...
        > >

        > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Richard Spelling
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 3, 2003
          Now, dere's and idea! I suspect it's a moot point, and the plow going over
          the top of the recess will mix the sand with the rest in the batch.