Re: [hobbicast] scrap vs ingots

  • Daniel C. Postellon
    Message 1 of 31 , Dec 2, 2002
      > Forget about melting beer cans etc thats a bloody waste of time , melt
      > something with a bit of guts in it!
      > Col Croucher
      > OZ

      Actually, your last line may be the key. Thin sheets have a lot of surface
      area per unit weight. Oxides form on the surface, and become dross.
      Commercial recyclers bale or briquette UBC's (used beverage cans) before
      melting them. You get less dross if you flatten them first, then fold them
      over and beat them into a lump with a hammer. Big chunks are better in
      that they form less dross. You can also form a small pool of molten
      aluminum, and drop cans in one at a time. They will melt quickly enough to
      form very little dross. The problem is that there isn't much metal in a UBC
      to start with. Figure about 60 cans per pound. Dan P.
    • Lyle <creepinogie@yahoo.com>
      Message 31 of 31 , Dec 9, 2002
        But the point is, it could be anyone who produces scrap. that
        mechanic who lives at the end of the block may be a source of pistons
        for example.

        Lyle
        Moorhead MN