Re: [hobbicast] Isidore, was Re: casting defects

  • Ron Thompson
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 2002
      Thanks for your concern. I am within a mile of the Gulf of Mexico and only slightly higher than the water in the bayous. We went to a motel for the duration to get to higher ground. Fortunately, the water didn't quite rise into my yard and shop, and the mobile home is higher. We returned this morning to a yard full of debris and tree limbs.

      It could have been much worse.

      Ron Thompson
      49 year old machine shop student
      On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast
      USA

      http://www.plansandprojects.com

      The following added for automatic email harvesters!
      abuse@... abuse@... abuse@... abuse@... UCE@...

      ******************
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 27, 2002
        Oh well, I could not wait for sunny dry weather, and you know what.
        It has been drizzling here all day long, and I made a couple of casts
        and they all look beautiful, nice and shiney and not a bubble or
        defect that I have found anywhere when I machined them this
        afternoon. I am not saying that damp or wet weather wiol not
        affect a casting, but it sure did not phase mine. I poured some
        extensions of the frame for my shaper, out of wheelium, as well as a
        few casts of step and single sheeve pulleys, as one can never have to
        many pulleys when your hell bent on making things that work move with
        motors etc, like I do. I used "virgin" as in break up the wheel and
        melt it down and skim the dross and pour the mold. No degassing
        tablets, no stirring, no pyrometer just a big steel pipe crucible,
        coated with refractory mold coat. The foundry gods must have been
        looking over me today. I think the key point in determing proper temp
        and alloy is doing a taste test or the baby bottle milk drop test on
        the wrist thing. Its kind of hard to get used to but once you do,
        its not too bad ;-) No not really.

        > Snip> >
        > > > Oh, and one last point - avoid damp days - damp atmosphere
        and
        > damp
        > > > tools and melt charge guarantee hydrogen bubbles !
        > > >
        > > > Andrew Mawson
        > > > Bromley, Kent UK

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Ray Brandes
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 27, 2002
          Ron,
          Good to hear your injurys are only cosmetic. We got a lot of water, not much wind.
          Regards, Ray