Nichrome Wire for lost foam *source*

  • tasselyn
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 17, 2002
      I built a hot wire jig saw for lost foam casting. One of the things
      that was hard to find was the nichrome wire. Well thank you to
      someone on this board I found a source. Unfortunately I now have
      over 800 feet (minimum order). So I am not sure if I am suppose to
      do this but if anyone is interested in purchasing some from me in 10
      foot lengths, or more or less, please send me your email address so
      we can work this out off-line. I used less than a foot to set up my
      machine and it works great. The wire is 30 AWG so it is fine and
      slices through the foam amazingly fast. I have run the set up a lot
      and I am not sure how long the wire will last but it seems to be
      fine. When using resistance wire the length is proportional to the
      resitance. I am currently running about 14 volts DC and the wire
      glows a dull orange which seems to work well.

      Regards,

      Tim
      tasselyn@...
    • Larry Ragan
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 18, 2002
        I would be interested in about 20' more or less. Let me know the details.
        Regards
        Larry Ragan

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 18, 2002
          How does $2.00 per 10 feet sound plus the cost of a
          first class stamp? Total would be $4.37. As long as
          you are in the USA this should work. You can send
          payment to my PayPal account (tasselyn@...) or
          to the following address:

          Timothy Asselyn
          PO Box 113
          Freeport, ME
          04032-0113
          --- Larry Ragan <larry.ragan@...> wrote:
          > I would be interested in about 20' more or less. Let
          > me know the details.
          > Regards
          > Larry Ragan

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • Ron Thompson
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 18, 2002
            Will it weigh less than an ounce?

            Ron Thompson
            49 year old machine shop student
            On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast
            USA

            http://www.plansandprojects.com

            The following added for automatic email harvesters!
            abuse@... abuse@... abuse@... abuse@... UCE@...

            ******************

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 18, 2002
              Yes it will unless you want a lot of the stuff.

              Regards,

              Tim

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 18, 2002
                Ok I messed that one up. It will not weigh more than
                an ounce unless you want a large quantity. It is 30
                AWG Nichrome wire and you would have to get 150 feet
                to go over an ounce.

              • Dewayne Hafenstein
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 18, 2002
                  The Post Office might get a bit antsy if they see/feel a coil of wire in an
                  envelope? Especially with the current state of affairs. You might want to
                  ship in a padded envelope, pay a little more shipping, and declare on the
                  outside that the contents are wire.

                  Just a thought. I would pay the additional for the padded envelop and
                  postage to make sure it got to me.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 18, 2002
                    Well I already sent some out boy hope that is not an
                    issue. I labeled the wire in the envelope. I will
                    ask at the post office. But if you want the padded
                    envelope I will check on the price on Thursday.

                    Regards,

                    Tim

                    === message truncated ===

                    http://sbc.yahoo.com
                  • Clint D
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 18, 2002
                      Tim
                      I would like to get 20-39 feet of it myself, I can use paypal
                      Clint
                      Driggars@...

                      > Well I already sent some out boy hope that is not an
                      > issue. I labeled the wire in the envelope. I will
                      > ask at the post office. But if you want the padded
                      > envelope I will check on the price on Thursday.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > Tim
                      > --- Dewayne Hafenstein <dhafenstein@...> wrote:
                      > > The Post Office might get a bit antsy if they
                      > > see/feel a coil of wire in an
                      > > envelope? Especially with the current state of
                      > > affairs. You might want to
                      > > ship in a padded envelope, pay a little more
                      > > shipping, and declare on the
                      > > outside that the contents are wire.
                      > >
                      > > Just a thought. I would pay the additional for the
                      > > padded envelop and
                      > > postage to make sure it got to me.

                    • Dewayne Hafenstein
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 19, 2002
                        well, if the post office doesn't mind, then theres no need for the extra
                        cost. I would like 20', for a total of $4.37. I'll send you the paypal
                        now. If they get upset with that approach, i'll send you the additional
                        funds for shipping, otherwise just figure the way you have already done it.

                        Well I already sent some out boy hope that is not an
                        issue. I labeled the wire in the envelope. I will
                        ask at the post office. But if you want the padded
                        envelope I will check on the price on Thursday.

                        Regards,

                        Tim
                        --- Dewayne Hafenstein <dhafenstein@...> wrote:
                        > The Post Office might get a bit antsy if they
                        > see/feel a coil of wire in an
                        > envelope? Especially with the current state of
                        > affairs. You might want to
                        > ship in a padded envelope, pay a little more
                        > shipping, and declare on the
                        > outside that the contents are wire.
                        >
                        > Just a thought. I would pay the additional for the
                        > padded envelop and
                        > postage to make sure it got to me.

                        === message truncated ===

                        http://sbc.yahoo.com

                      • Larry Ragan
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 19, 2002
                          Sounds Reasonable enough.
                          I will send payment via paypal shortly
                          Larry Ragan

                          How does $2.00 per 10 feet sound plus the cost of a
                          first class stamp? Total would be $4.37. As long as
                          you are in the USA this should work. You can send
                          payment to my PayPal account (tasselyn@...) or
                          to the following address:

                          Timothy Asselyn
                          PO Box 113
                          Freeport, ME
                          04032-0113
                          --- Larry Ragan <larry.ragan@...> wrote:
                          > I would be interested in about 20' more or less. Let
                          > me know the details.
                          > Regards
                          > Larry Ragan

                        • john grant
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 19, 2002
                            I suggest you drop the 37 cents and then the people can send you one dollar
                            bills. Much simpler for the sender.

                          • Timothy Asselyn
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 19, 2002
                              I checked with the post office today and they said
                              that there would not be any issues as long as it can
                              go through their automated machines. They checked the
                              envelopes over that I was sending out and said there
                              was no issue at all.

                              Thanks,

                              === message truncated ===

                              http://sbc.yahoo.com
                            • Ken Stuempges
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 23, 2002
                                Tim:

                                I just mailed you $3.00 to cover 10 feet plus postage and your
                                trouble.

                                Thanks

                                Ken aka Ozarks Hermit
                                Shell Knob, Mo
                              • Timothy Asselyn
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 23, 2002
                                  Great I will watch the box and let you know when I
                                  mail the wire out. Your address is in the envelope I
                                  trust?

                                  Thank you,

                                  Tim

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 23, 2002
                                    --- In hobbicast@y..., Timothy Asselyn <tasselyn@y...> wrote:
                                    > Great I will watch the box and let you know when I
                                    > mail the wire out. Your address is in the envelope I
                                    > trust?

                                    Address is on the envelope and on the note inside.

                                    Ken
                                  • Timothy Asselyn
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 23, 2002
                                      Great thank you.

                                      Tim

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 27, 2002
                                        I received your payment today, thank you. The wire
                                        will be in the mail in the morning (Satuday 9/28)