Re: [hobbicast] gassy aluminum

  • Jim Clary
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2000
      LL,

      I've made many porosity testers. It is done with a vacuum pump. The
      procedure is to place a very small sampling cup of liquid aluminum under a
      bell jar and pull a vacuum on it while it is still liquid. If there is much
      gas present in the aluminum the sample will swell up like a muffin in the
      oven. So you degas and check it again until you can pull a vacuum on the
      liquid sample and, while watching its surface, there are no detectable
      bubbles that rise to the surface. It is then considered "dead" metal. No gas
      whatsoever. You'll be able to polish and chrome plate a casting made from
      such metal.

      Jim Clary

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2001
        Sounds like they needed a different pattern maker. I
        never heard that one before. Don't think I'll try it
        at home.

        http://photos.yahoo.com/