Sources for Casting Aluminum

  • Glenn Randle
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2000
      Hi I'm new here and excited to find so much great info. I'm sure
      it's already been asked but what are some good places to get casting
      aluminum? I'm located near Boone, NC. How much does it usually cost
      (scrap & new). There's a big Alcoa plant about 30 miles from me,
      will they sell a 100 lbs or so? What do I ask for, 356 casting
      ingots?

      Thanks,
      Glenn
    • Tom Haltmeyer
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2000
        Hey Glenn: Try and find some aluminum that has already been cast. IE:
        pistons,wheels,stuff like that. Make sure it doesnt have magnesium in
        it or you will have some early 4th of july fireworks.
        Read some of the earlyer posts on silver nitrate testing of
        aluminum.
        If you need some silver nitrate lemme know. I have some left over.
        Good luck! and enjoy the new year!
        Tom H.