Re: [hobbicast] Digest Number 1194

  • Bill MCJUNKIN
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2002
      From: "scale_chipper" <scale_chipper@...>
      Subject: Almost OT...Need Some Burner Ignition Help
      <SNIP>
      Before I re-invent the wheel here, does anybody know of a good
      (reliable) method of generating a spark. I have a few other ideas I will
      try, but if someone has a ignition system they would like to share...I
      am all ears.
      Thanx,
      Casey Brown

      Casey,
      If you only want a single spark, try wiring a normally open push-button
      in series with the 12v dc line. Put a cap across the switch. press and
      release the button. ZAP one time. It fires on the collapsing field of
      the inductance coil when the circuit is opened. Ground the coil case to
      the burner. Short on time for long coil/battery life. Capacitor
      discharge systems work well too.

      For bursts of continious fire I would try a SCR with lots of buffering
      to keep the smoke from getting out. Reflex voltages can be hundreds or
      even thousands of volts.

      Bill McJ
    • Wicker, Patrick
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2002
        To piggyback on that, if you only want one spark get the ignitor for a
        Bar-B-que.