Re: [hobbicast] Re: Almost OT...Need Some Burner Ignition Help

  • Clinton Driggars
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31, 2002
      It CAN make somethings stiff toooooo!!
      Clint

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Donald Weissgerber" <donw1948@...>
      To: <hobbicast@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2002 12:07 AM
      Subject: [hobbicast] Re: Almost OT...Need Some Burner Ignition Help

      > Casey,
      >
      > I picked up the ignition transformer for an old oil-burner furnace ...
      > provides a 1 inch heavy duty continuous spark from electrode to ground.
      > WARNING ... make sure no part of your anatomy completes the ground
      > connection when this thing is running ... it will make your jaws ache for
      > hours >{+) (and don't ask how I know this!).
      >
      > Don
      >
      > > Message: 2
      > > Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 20:42:39 -0000
      > > From: "scale_chipper" <scale_chipper@...>
      > > Subject: Almost OT...Need Some Burner Ignition Help
      > >
      > > Well my first attempt at an electric ignition using a ignition coil
      > > from a car flopped. I built a coil driver from a schematic found on
      > > the net, the spark was pretty wimpy so i cranked up the the voltage.
      > > It drew one beauty of a spark and died. Took out the 555 ic. Before I
      > > re-invent the wheel here, does anybody know of a good (reliable)
      > > method of generating a spark. I have a few other ideas I will try,
      > > but if someone has a ignition system they would like to share...I am
      > > all ears.
      > >
      > > Thanx,
      > > Casey Brown

    • John Brautlacht
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2002
        OOoooo.
        Too much information.

        I have a furnace ignitor transformer here.
        I can't speak for yours, but mine produces 10 KV at 200 MA.
        This is enough to easily stop your heart if you make a circuit across it
        (like from one hand to the other)
        Keep one hand in your hip pocket while playing. A good jolt beats a coffin
        any day.

        JB
        <snip>
        > It CAN make somethings stiff toooooo!!
        > Clint
        <snip>
      • Tony Wells
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2002
          Definitely a message for the coffee lounge <VBG>!

          Tony.

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2002
            John ...

            I'm going to assume Clint was referring to rigor mortis <G> ... yes it is a
            VERY healthy (for the ignition system) spark and a very UNHEALTHY circuit
            for the human body to complete. Can you believe when I was a pre-teen, I
            used to take one of these transformers out in the back yard, poke the
            electrodes in the ground about 2 yards apart, and gather earthworms for
            fishing? Looking back at some of the stunts I pulled, I wonder how I made it
            through puberty!

            Don

            > Message: 15
            > Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 01:20:27 -0700
            > From: "John Brautlacht" <badkitty@...>
            > Subject: Re: Re: Almost OT...Need Some Burner Ignition Help
            >
            > OOoooo.
            > Too much information.
            >
            > I have a furnace ignitor transformer here.
            > I can't speak for yours, but mine produces 10 KV at 200 MA.
            > This is enough to easily stop your heart if you make a circuit across it
            > (like from one hand to the other)
            > Keep one hand in your hip pocket while playing. A good jolt beats a coffin
            > any day.
            >
            > JB
            > <snip>
            > > It CAN make somethings stiff toooooo!!
            > > Clint
            > <snip>
          • Ron Thompson
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 2002
              I did that with out the transformer! Just a lamp cord and some rebar. You only had to grad it once to remember to unplug it!
              Ron Thompson
              48 year old machine shop student
              On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast
              USA

              http://www.plansandprojects.com

              The following added for automatic email harvesters!
              abuse@... abuse@... abuse@... abuse@... UCE@...