Diesel Burn

  • dfg1955
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002
      Casey, what can you tell about the noise your diesel-burner is
      producing? Is it much louder than a gas-burner, as I expect it is?
      Secondly, am I right the 24-threads are cut only about half way the
      centre piece?
      Thanks,
      Dirk
    • scale_chipper
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002
        --- In hobbicast@y..., "chuckfellows" <chuckfellows@y...> wrote:
        > How exactly would you scale it down? Does that include a smaller
        > hole for the air jet?
        >
        > Chuck Fellows

        I assume there was some experimentation involved in the development
        of the original design to find the right balance between air and fuel
        flow. Now, changing anything could change everything..I don't know,
        but, it seems resonable that keeping the air to fuel jet ratio the
        same would be a good plan to start with,. As such, if I do make
        another one (and I probably will at some point) I would downsize both
        the air and fuel (nozzle) jets equaly. The restriction to flow is a
        function of area ,not diameter (though diameter obviously effects
        surface area), so I wouldn't simply make the holes half the diameter.
        Rather, I would reduce the hole size enough that the cross section
        surface area was half the original cross section surface area. For
        example, the 1/16" (.0625") air jet has a cross section area of .003"
        (Area=Pi X R2), so you would need to figure the diameter that would
        give a cross section of .0015".
        As with all trips into uncharted territory, this is a "best guess"
        approach..your mileage may vary.

        Casey Brown

        > --- In hobbicast@y..., "scale_chipper" <scale_chipper@y...> wrote:
        > > I'm starting to see some potential here. My second run yielded 22
        > > pounds of ingots, and consumed 1 1/2 gallons of diesel..right at
        > half
        > > the consumption of the first run and only 2 pounds less of Al.
        The
        > > last crucible was only half full.
        > > I also discovered I was pouring too cold the first time. This
        > time
        > > around I felt the heat through my leather protection gear on my
        > legs.
        > > I decided to put a fuel valve inline with torch, but alas, the
        > local
        > > hardware store was closed. Not to be thwarted by inconvienent
        > store
        > > hours, I placed a small "C" clamp on the rubber fuel line, and
        > > cranked 'er down till she just started sputtering, then backed
        off
        > > quarter turn. Not perfect but MUCH better. Not near as much soot,
        > > much hotter flame, and twice the economy.
        > > Tuning this thing reminded me of highschool (back when Heavy
        > Chevy's
        > > ruled the road)when the less informed would put the biggest carb
        > they
        > > could find on there cars. No matter how hard you tried, you could
        > > never lean it out quite enough. Similarly ,I think in my case
        > anyway,
        > > that the torch is simply too large for my little 7"x 11" bore
        > furnace.
        > > Knowing what I know now, I would scale the original plans by
        half
        > > for the fuel valve , and leave the burner size the same.
        > >
        > > I'll continue to keep this group informed of any new progress.
        > >
        > > Casey Broen
      • scale_chipper
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002
          --- In hobbicast@y..., "dfg1955" <dfganzinga@h...> wrote:
          > Casey, what can you tell about the noise your diesel-burner is
          > producing? Is it much louder than a gas-burner, as I expect it is?

          I don't have experience with any furnace, other than the one I made,
          so I can't compare it with anything. I can say ,though, that my
          diesel furnace is noisy. If you try to have a conversation standing
          next to it, you find yourself raising your voice. Some may find this
          a disadvantage, to me its a constant reminder that the beast is
          producing prodigous amounts of heat, and I need to be on my toes. Not
          to mention the "cool" factor, kinda like glass packs on a small block
          chevy :)

          > Secondly, am I right the 24-threads are cut only about half way the
          > centre piece?

          You are correct, but it really isn't critical as long as the collar
          can reach both the 24tpi on the center piece, and the 16tpi on the
          nozzle.

          > Thanks,

          Your welcome