Re: Second Diesel Burn Much Better Than First

  • chuckfellows
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2002
      How exactly would you scale it down? Does that include a smaller
      hole for the air jet?

      Chuck Fellows

      --- In hobbicast@y..., "scale_chipper" <scale_chipper@y...> wrote:
      > I'm starting to see some potential here. My second run yielded 22
      > pounds of ingots, and consumed 1 1/2 gallons of diesel..right at
      half
      > the consumption of the first run and only 2 pounds less of Al. The
      > last crucible was only half full.
      > I also discovered I was pouring too cold the first time. This
      time
      > around I felt the heat through my leather protection gear on my
      legs.
      > I decided to put a fuel valve inline with torch, but alas, the
      local
      > hardware store was closed. Not to be thwarted by inconvienent
      store
      > hours, I placed a small "C" clamp on the rubber fuel line, and
      > cranked 'er down till she just started sputtering, then backed off
      > quarter turn. Not perfect but MUCH better. Not near as much soot,
      > much hotter flame, and twice the economy.
      > Tuning this thing reminded me of highschool (back when Heavy
      Chevy's
      > ruled the road)when the less informed would put the biggest carb
      they
      > could find on there cars. No matter how hard you tried, you could
      > never lean it out quite enough. Similarly ,I think in my case
      anyway,
      > that the torch is simply too large for my little 7"x 11" bore
      furnace.
      > Knowing what I know now, I would scale the original plans by half
      > for the fuel valve , and leave the burner size the same.
      >
      > I'll continue to keep this group informed of any new progress.
      >
      > Casey Broen
    • dfg1955
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002
        Casey, what can you tell about the noise your diesel-burner is
        producing? Is it much louder than a gas-burner, as I expect it is?
        Secondly, am I right the 24-threads are cut only about half way the
        centre piece?
        Thanks,
        Dirk
      • scale_chipper
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002
          --- In hobbicast@y..., "chuckfellows" <chuckfellows@y...> wrote:
          > How exactly would you scale it down? Does that include a smaller
          > hole for the air jet?
          >
          > Chuck Fellows

          I assume there was some experimentation involved in the development
          of the original design to find the right balance between air and fuel
          flow. Now, changing anything could change everything..I don't know,
          but, it seems resonable that keeping the air to fuel jet ratio the
          same would be a good plan to start with,. As such, if I do make
          another one (and I probably will at some point) I would downsize both
          the air and fuel (nozzle) jets equaly. The restriction to flow is a
          function of area ,not diameter (though diameter obviously effects
          surface area), so I wouldn't simply make the holes half the diameter.
          Rather, I would reduce the hole size enough that the cross section
          surface area was half the original cross section surface area. For
          example, the 1/16" (.0625") air jet has a cross section area of .003"
          (Area=Pi X R2), so you would need to figure the diameter that would
          give a cross section of .0015".
          As with all trips into uncharted territory, this is a "best guess"
          approach..your mileage may vary.

          Casey Brown

          > --- In hobbicast@y..., "scale_chipper" <scale_chipper@y...> wrote:
          > > I'm starting to see some potential here. My second run yielded 22
          > > pounds of ingots, and consumed 1 1/2 gallons of diesel..right at
          > half
          > > the consumption of the first run and only 2 pounds less of Al.
          The
          > > last crucible was only half full.
          > > I also discovered I was pouring too cold the first time. This
          > time
          > > around I felt the heat through my leather protection gear on my
          > legs.
          > > I decided to put a fuel valve inline with torch, but alas, the
          > local
          > > hardware store was closed. Not to be thwarted by inconvienent
          > store
          > > hours, I placed a small "C" clamp on the rubber fuel line, and
          > > cranked 'er down till she just started sputtering, then backed
          off
          > > quarter turn. Not perfect but MUCH better. Not near as much soot,
          > > much hotter flame, and twice the economy.
          > > Tuning this thing reminded me of highschool (back when Heavy
          > Chevy's
          > > ruled the road)when the less informed would put the biggest carb
          > they
          > > could find on there cars. No matter how hard you tried, you could
          > > never lean it out quite enough. Similarly ,I think in my case
          > anyway,
          > > that the torch is simply too large for my little 7"x 11" bore
          > furnace.
          > > Knowing what I know now, I would scale the original plans by
          half
          > > for the fuel valve , and leave the burner size the same.
          > >
          > > I'll continue to keep this group informed of any new progress.
          > >
          > > Casey Broen
        • scale_chipper
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002
            --- In hobbicast@y..., "dfg1955" <dfganzinga@h...> wrote:
            > Casey, what can you tell about the noise your diesel-burner is
            > producing? Is it much louder than a gas-burner, as I expect it is?

            I don't have experience with any furnace, other than the one I made,
            so I can't compare it with anything. I can say ,though, that my
            diesel furnace is noisy. If you try to have a conversation standing
            next to it, you find yourself raising your voice. Some may find this
            a disadvantage, to me its a constant reminder that the beast is
            producing prodigous amounts of heat, and I need to be on my toes. Not
            to mention the "cool" factor, kinda like glass packs on a small block
            chevy :)

            > Secondly, am I right the 24-threads are cut only about half way the
            > centre piece?

            You are correct, but it really isn't critical as long as the collar
            can reach both the 24tpi on the center piece, and the 16tpi on the
            nozzle.

            > Thanks,

            Your welcome