Diesel Torch...Yeah Baby!!!

  • scale_chipper
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 25, 2002
      Hello guys,

      I have just finished building a Air-Diesel torch from an article
      published in a 1922 Popular Science. I have one word to say, "WOW".
      I fired it off for the first time last night. I haven't finished the
      foundry yet so these results are preliminary, but, I thought you guys
      would be interested. After a few short burns to make sure all was
      well, I stuck it in my furnace (it has a 7" by 12" bore), placed the
      piece of 4"x6" thick wall pipe I am building my crucible out of in
      it, and let 'er rip. After 10 min the pipe was glowing bright red,
      after 20 min, it turned yellow-orange, and this was without a lid on
      the furnace (I am making that tonight). I have to mention that my air
      source is under powered (the exhaust from a 1/6 hp Gast vacuum pump),
      and as such, this thing has WAY more to give. The article recommended
      a pressure of between 40-300 psi, my "compressor" has maybe 20 psi.
      I ran it for 45 min., and used a little over a half gallon of diesel.
      So if a heat source that can't explode, produces incredible heat,
      and costs a little over a buck an hour to operate interests you,
      check out the article. I posted it as well as a picture of the torch
      I built under the Diesel Torch folder in the files section.

      Enjoy BWAA-HA-HA-HA,
      Casey Brown
    • paul_probus
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 1, 2002
        True enough, if I was installing one in my house or someone else was
        installing one in their house.

        However, here on base, we have to have contractors do this work for
        us, therefore, the 20 year payback is a factor.

        Paul

        --- In hobbicast@y..., "Ron Thompson" <thom1486@b...> wrote:
        > The 20 year payback is based on having a contractor do all the work
        and probably finance charges as well. If you can dig a trench, you
        can save 1/2 the cost or more. If you can do the whole install, the
        prices are comparable.

        ]