Re: [hobbicast] Iggorant question re: furnaces

  • keporter@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2002
      You should remember that the combustion path spirals around the crucible on
      its way up, and out, of the furnace. The exit path is much longer than you
      may be assuming. It is deliberately intended to confine the heat in as narrow
      an area as possible, between the crucible and the furnace wall, without
      constricting the exhaust. Preheating the combustion air with waste heat would
      call for stainless steel parts because of the corrosive nature of the exhuast
      gasses at these temperatures. Even without that expense, you are losing more
      by leaving the control of a coherent gas flame than you are gaining in
      recycled BTUs.
      Michael P.
    • Ray Brandes
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2002
        All the combustion does take place inside the furnace, unless you have an
        oxygen starved situation and unburnt gas is present at the vent.
        Pre-heating incoming air greatly increases the volume of air and will
        require much adjustment when the furnace is first started and the gains are
        questionable.
        Regards, Ray