Bob from Memphis - Solutions to Sodium silicate problems

  • giesser@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2002
      Yes, all of these additives work well with aluminum. The sodium silicate
      binder system works BEST with aluminum, OK for copper base and steel, and
      WORST with iron. This has to do with retained strength after pouring at the
      given temperatures.

      Yes, we often use corn syrup or molasses as an addition. If you use corn
      syrup, use a low Dextrose Equivalent corn syrup. It is less hygroscopic (it
      won't pick up moisture in storage).

      I have spent 30 years trying to make silicates do all kinds of things. It is
      one of the most widely used chemicals in the metals industry. We use it as a
      sand binder, as a binder in refractories, as a flux and as a binder in
      coatings. If you drink water from a municipal water system, it probably
      contains about 0.1% of sodium silicate to prevent the iron pipes from
      corroding. Hell, I also use it to knock down high acid contents in my
      winemaking activities. (my other passion).

      Tom Cobett
      Cleveland, OH