Pattern Letters

  • Ray Brandes
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 14, 2002
      I have a Gorton panto-mill and it is great for engraving letters. The
      spindle has a Vee cutter and it cuts right-reading text at just about
      any reduction from my 1" master font. But.....

      I want to make punches to date stamp right into the sand on my finished
      mold rather than afix something to the pattern. If I cut letters in a
      punch and push this into the sand, the result will read wrong in the
      sand, but right in the casting. The punch would be raised in the casting
      and the letters would be cut-in to the raised part. I think I just
      answered my own question...

      No! The question I have is how do they make number stamps? I know I
      would need wrong reading master type, but instead of a groove wouldn't
      one need the letter to be raised to mill away everything except the
      letter? I may have answered my own question again....

      Anyone in the group have experience making stamps????

      Regards, Ray in FLA
    • Dale Smith
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 14, 2002
        Ray, you lucky dog! I just happen to have a rubber stamp making outfit.
        Right now it is designated "limbo." Can't decide to add it to my antique tou
        and mini printing equipment or dump it on eBay.

        In a nutshell, You start with ordinary printing type... handset in a tiny
        "chase." the type is "wrong reading" as is all printing type. From this You
        cut a little square of some sort of special material and put it on top of
        the type in the press/heating unit
        The stuff softens and makes an impression of the type--- right reading.
        The next step is to do the same thing but substituting your new matrix for
        the handset type and a piece of gum rubber for the matrix.

        Again, heat and pressure forms the rubber to the matrix and vulcanizes it.
        the rubber image is wrong reading but trim it down, glue it to a handle, ink
        it up and it will produce a right reading stamp.

        It is as simple as that! According to the book :How to Make Rubber Stamps
        for Fun and Profit," it is easy to make as much as $10 to $15 a week working
        only evenings and weekends!

        I know there are some printers on this list and with the materials available
        today, it is amazing what can be done with a little lith film, a laser
        printer and some of the light sensitive/ water wash poly materials. Let me
        know if you want to get into some serious headbanging on this.

        wds,

        > I have a Gorton panto-mill and it is great for engraving letters. The
        > spindle has a Vee cutter and it cuts right-reading text at just about
        > any reduction from my 1" master font. But.....
        >
        > I want to make punches to date stamp right into the sand on my finished
        > mold rather than afix something to the pattern. If I cut letters in a
        > punch and push this into the sand, the result will read wrong in the
        > sand, but right in the casting. The punch would be raised in the casting
        > and the letters would be cut-in to the raised part. I think I just
        > answered my own question...
        >
        > No! The question I have is how do they make number stamps? I know I
        > would need wrong reading master type, but instead of a groove wouldn't
        > one need the letter to be raised to mill away everything except the
        > letter? I may have answered my own question again....
        >
        > Anyone in the group have experience making stamps????
        >
        > Regards, Ray in FLA

      • Ed Blain
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 14, 2002
          Ray-
          Are you looking for raised lettering on the casting or depressed into the
          casting? If it is depressed why not make plastic molds of the letters on
          stamps then put those cast plastic indented letters on blocks and press the
          blocks you have made into the sand? Just a thought- you can make all kinds
          using the plastic hard setting clay from hobby shops to get the impression.
          Ed Blain
          San Diego

          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 15, 2002
            Dale,

            No plans for using rubber stamp letters yet. Let me know if you get
            set-up. With the panto mill I have learned a good technique for making
            any design:

            Print the design on paper. Tape the paper to a piece of HDPE. With a #11
            blade 'scrimshaw' through the paper into the plastic. Remove the paper
            and rub with black shoe polish to bring up the scratches. Chase out the
            lines with a viening tool. Ta-Da! One ready made master for engraving
            your logo, Ordnance Flaming Bomb or whatever.
            Regards, Ray

            Dale Smith wrote:

            > Ray, you lucky dog! I just happen to have a rubber stamp making outfit.
            > Right now it is designated "limbo." Can't decide to add it to my antique tou
            > and mini printing equipment or dump it on eBay.
            >
            > In a nutshell, You start with ordinary printing type... handset in a tiny
            > "chase." the type is "wrong reading" as is all printing type. From this You
            > cut a little square of some sort of special material and put it on top of
            > the type in the press/heating unit
            > The stuff softens and makes an impression of the type--- right reading.
            > The next step is to do the same thing but substituting your new matrix for
            > the handset type and a piece of gum rubber for the matrix.
            >
            > Again, heat and pressure forms the rubber to the matrix and vulcanizes it.
            > the rubber image is wrong reading but trim it down, glue it to a handle, ink
            > it up and it will produce a right reading stamp.
            >
            > It is as simple as that! According to the book :How to Make Rubber Stamps
            > for Fun and Profit," it is easy to make as much as $10 to $15 a week working
            > only evenings and weekends!
            >
            > I know there are some printers on this list and with the materials available
            > today, it is amazing what can be done with a little lith film, a laser
            > printer and some of the light sensitive/ water wash poly materials. Let me
            > know if you want to get into some serious headbanging on this.
            >
            > wds,

          • Foundryman
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 15, 2002
              Ray and all, The quickest and easiest way to put a date or other
              info on a pattern is to punch the info on a plastic tape writer
              and stick the tape to the pattern--easy! I've also used this
              method to make mini plaques where I needed very small letters.
              You will need to use a bit of some resin to smooth the edges of
              the tape.

              Rod Grantham, a Hobbicast member, sells a neat kit and video for
              making rubber stamps. I bought his kit last winter and have made
              both left reading and right reading stamps. One I cast as is for
              attaching to other things and the stamp version, I stamp directly
              into the sand. Works great.

              On plastic letters: If you can avoid it, don't buy the letters
              with the tabs on the back. The tabs are a pain in the butt to
              clip off and sand smooth. Someone mentioned Scott Signs for
              letters. I have several of their fonts and they work great.
              Plenty of draft and no tabs.

              Use school glue to stick your letters to your pattern board.
              School glue is washable so after you made your casting, spray
              some Windex on the letters or soak the whole thing in a sink.
              After an hour or so the glue will dissolve and you can reclaim
              your letters. Egg cartons are handy for storing your letters.

              Best, Jerry
              Foundryman in Missouri, USA
              Custom Castings by Twaddell
              foundryman@...
              http://members.igateway.net/~jtwad/
            • john grant
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 15, 2002
                If you want a set of wrong reading master type I can send you a Linotype
                slug with the numbers on it. What size do you want?

                John Grant

                Ray Brandes wrote:

                > I have a Gorton panto-mill and it is great for engraving letters. The
                > spindle has a Vee cutter and it cuts right-reading text at just about
                > any reduction from my 1" master font. But.....
                >
                > I want to make punches to date stamp right into the sand on my finished
                > mold rather than afix something to the pattern. If I cut letters in a
                > punch and push this into the sand, the result will read wrong in the
                > sand, but right in the casting. The punch would be raised in the casting
                > and the letters would be cut-in to the raised part. I think I just
                > answered my own question...
                >
                > No! The question I have is how do they make number stamps? I know I
                > would need wrong reading master type, but instead of a groove wouldn't
                > one need the letter to be raised to mill away everything except the
                > letter? I may have answered my own question again....
                >
                > Anyone in the group have experience making stamps????
                >
                > Regards, Ray in FLA

              • Ray Brandes
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 15, 2002
                  John,
                  How big can can the characters be? Do you have a Linotype? The trade
                  school I attended in the '60's had two of them and they were marvelous
                  to watch in action.
                  Regards, Ray

                  john grant wrote:

                  > If you want a set of wrong reading master type I can send you a Linotype
                  > slug with the numbers on it. What size do you want?
                  >
                  > John Grant
                  >
                  > Ray Brandes wrote:
                  >
                  > > I have a Gorton panto-mill and it is great for engraving letters. The
                  > > spindle has a Vee cutter and it cuts right-reading text at just about
                  > > any reduction from my 1" master font. But.....
                  > >
                  > > I want to make punches to date stamp right into the sand on my finished
                  > > mold rather than afix something to the pattern. If I cut letters in a
                  > > punch and push this into the sand, the result will read wrong in the
                  > > sand, but right in the casting. The punch would be raised in the casting
                  > > and the letters would be cut-in to the raised part. I think I just
                  > > answered my own question...
                  > >
                  > > No! The question I have is how do they make number stamps? I know I
                  > > would need wrong reading master type, but instead of a groove wouldn't
                  > > one need the letter to be raised to mill away everything except the
                  > > letter? I may have answered my own question again....
                  > >
                  > > Anyone in the group have experience making stamps????
                  > >
                  > > Regards, Ray in FLA

                • Dale Smith
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 15, 2002
                    From: "Ray Brandes" <rvb@...>

                    > Dale,
                    >
                    > No plans for using rubber stamp letters yet. Let me know if you get
                    > set-up.

                    //// I have made a few stamps with it but there are faster and easier
                    ways.:o)

                    With the panto mill I have learned a good technique for making
                    > any design:
                    > Print the design on paper. Tape the paper to a piece of HDPE. With a #11
                    > blade 'scrimshaw' through the paper into the plastic. Remove the paper
                    > and rub with black shoe polish to bring up the scratches. Chase out the
                    > lines with a viening tool. Ta-Da! One ready made master for engraving
                    > your logo, Ordnance Flaming Bomb or whatever.
                    > Regards, Ray

                    /// Ray, you clever dog! A truly creative technique.

                    Now, for another acid flashback: Last evening I happened to notice a plastic
                    lettering guide my wife had picked up at the local hobby supply. The
                    thought struck me that one couls spray that thing with a release agent
                    (silly-cone maybe) lay it in a flat surface (like glass since I seem to
                    accumulate a lot of large chunks of broken plate glass) and fill the thing
                    with some sort of "castable" media. When cured, lift of the template and the
                    letters pop out ready to be affixed to the pattern.

                    Don't go nit-picking here. This is not a tried and tested method... strictly
                    an idea to maybe start someone else to thinking.

                    wdsmith
                  • john grant
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 15, 2002
                      Ray Brandes wrote:

                      > John,
                      > How big can can the characters be?

                      36 point. I may have something larger.

                      > Do you have a Linotype?

                      Everybody should have, at least, one.
                    • The Nelsons
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 15, 2002
                        Speaking of plastic labeling tape (and we were), my wife has a very large
                        version of the plastic tape label maker. She also has several different
                        font wheels for the machine. What she doesn't have is the big tape for the
                        machine. The tape should be about an inch wide (or more), but I've never
                        seen any. Do any of you know where a person might find huge rolls of
                        plastic labeling tape? We checked several office supply stores and no one
                        had ever heard of such a thing. I'd like to use the big tape for lettering
                        plaques that I'll cast as soon as I get a new heating element.

                        Tip for the day: Never allow your aluminum donor parts to hang over the
                        edge of your melting pot in an electric furnace. Not even a little bit.
                        Not even if you are absolutely SURE that if can't possibly drip onto your
                        heating coils. And keep a flashlight handy so you can reset the circuit
                        breaker after the fireworks.

                        Rick
                      • Ray Brandes
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 15, 2002
                          Rick,
                          The machine may be designed for thin metal strips like the numbers on
                          phone poles etc. Have you checked with McMaster-Carr? How about Dymo?
                          Both have websites.
                          Worst case, buy some 1/64" aluminum flashing and shear it into 1"
                          strips.

                          -Ray

                          The Nelsons wrote:

                          > Speaking of plastic labeling tape (and we were), my wife has a very large
                          > version of the plastic tape label maker. She also has several different
                          > font wheels for the machine. What she doesn't have is the big tape for the
                          > machine. The tape should be about an inch wide (or more), but I've never
                          > seen any. Do any of you know where a person might find huge rolls of
                          > plastic labeling tape? We checked several office supply stores and no one
                          > had ever heard of such a thing. I'd like to use the big tape for lettering
                          > plaques that I'll cast as soon as I get a new heating element.
                          >
                          > Tip for the day: Never allow your aluminum donor parts to hang over the
                          > edge of your melting pot in an electric furnace. Not even a little bit.
                          > Not even if you are absolutely SURE that if can't possibly drip onto your
                          > heating coils. And keep a flashlight handy so you can reset the circuit
                          > breaker after the fireworks.
                          >
                          > Rick

                        • The Nelsons
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 15, 2002
                            I hadn't thought of that. I'll check it out. I hope it is for lettering
                            aluminum strips. That would make some nice castings, then I could melt the
                            strips when I'm finished with them.

                            Rick

                            > The machine may be designed for thin metal strips like the numbers on
                            > phone poles etc. Have you checked with McMaster-Carr? How about Dymo?
                            > Both have websites.
                            > Worst case, buy some 1/64" aluminum flashing and shear it into 1"
                            > strips.
                            >
                            > -Ray
                            >
                            > The Nelsons wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Speaking of plastic labeling tape (and we were), my wife has a very
                            large
                            > > version of the plastic tape label maker. She also has several different
                            > > font wheels for the machine. What she doesn't have is the big tape for
                            the
                            > > machine. The tape should be about an inch wide (or more), but I've
                            never
                            > > seen any. Do any of you know where a person might find huge rolls of
                            > > plastic labeling tape? We checked several office supply stores and no
                            one
                            > > had ever heard of such a thing. I'd like to use the big tape for
                            lettering
                            > > plaques that I'll cast as soon as I get a new heating element.
                            > >
                            > > Tip for the day: Never allow your aluminum donor parts to hang over the
                            > > edge of your melting pot in an electric furnace. Not even a little bit.
                            > > Not even if you are absolutely SURE that if can't possibly drip onto
                            your
                            > > heating coils. And keep a flashlight handy so you can reset the circuit
                            > > breaker after the fireworks.
                            > >
                            > > Rick

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • Dick Morris
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 15, 2002
                              Not sure where to find them, but I've seen something similar used for the
                              signs next to doors in an office building. It's possible that the tape
                              isn't sticky, but made to slide into a slot in the sign frame.

                              Dick Morris
                              Anchorage, Alaska

                              At 01:48 PM 4/15/2002 -0500, you wrote:
                              >Speaking of plastic labeling tape (and we were), my wife has a very large
                              >version of the plastic tape label maker. She also has several different
                              >font wheels for the machine. What she doesn't have is the big tape for the
                              >machine. The tape should be about an inch wide (or more), but I've never
                              >seen any. Do any of you know where a person might find huge rolls of
                              >plastic labeling tape?
                            • Dale Smith
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 15, 2002
                                I have a number of large printing plates 0.006 to 0.012 inches thick and up
                                to 36 inches wide. Contact me off-list if you wouild like for me to cut off
                                a few test strips for you.

                                wdsmith
                                mediasmith@...

                                Tip: Don't assume I forgot just because I haven't done something is
                                promised. I am still looking for K2's books and digging for the hose
                                machine, etc.

                                .
                                > I hadn't thought of that. I'll check it out. I hope it is for lettering
                                > aluminum strips. That would make some nice castings, then I could melt
                                the
                                > strips when I'm finished with them.
                                >
                                > Rick
                              • Joe Hildreth
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 30, 2004
                                  Hello all,

                                  Where can I buy Pattern Letters to use for making a plaque? I think I want somewhere from 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch, upper and lower case letters. Does anyone have an idea where to purchase them or the cost?

                                  Warm Regards,

                                  Joe

                                • Colin Croucher
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 30, 2004
                                    Joe.

                                    The quickest way for you to source foundry letters
                                    is to contact or find a sign writer with a laser cutter,
                                    or CNC font cutter, they will supply letters with the correct
                                    draft and height.
                                    They may not be cheap, but they will be top quality.

                                    Cheers
                                    Col Croucher.
                                    OZ.

                                    Where can I buy Pattern Letters to use for making a plaque? I think I
                                    want somewhere from 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch, upper and lower case letters. Does
                                    anyone have an idea where to purchase them or the cost?

                                    Warm Regards,

                                    Joe

                                    This list is for discussion of metal casting
                                    and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share
                                    sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                    otherwise solved contact the list owner by email:

                                  • Brewer
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 30, 2004
                                      Try office Depo. I got a set of letters that go into office signs for
                                      around 5 bucks. You just have to cut the tabs off.
                                      Dan in Auburn

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 30, 2004
                                        There have been some good discussions on the topic in the past. Do a search
                                        of the group archives at Yahoo, maybe one to two years ago.