Copper - I tried but failed

  • andreb0506
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2002
      I tried to melt copper tubing I had laying around the house today.
      Everything got to glowing a nice bright orange but no melt. How hot
      does this copper alloy have to be to melt? Anyone tried it lately?

      Andre

      PS: If this 'michelle4U' crap and yahoo spam continues on, I have a
      gig or so of freed-up server space that I don't mind donating to the
      group for a discussion list. Just a little payback offer for all the
      help you folks have given me in my new home foundry.
    • driggars
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2002
        That copper will have to get hot, I would say 2000-2100, Some one else may
        add more to this cause I am no expert. I have been dealing with melting
        brass and copper lately. I had the same problem. Make sure you are not
        running a BBQ Regulator. Run a straight line with a valve in line to
        control. Make sure the control valve is far enough away from the burner that
        any flames do not come over the top and burn your face/hair. This will take
        some getting used to till you get a good feel. Are you using a blower? After
        your furnace gets going good you may need to keep adjusting the flame up, I
        get used to the sound on mine. It has a consistent roar, if you turn up a
        little to high it will sound like sputter, if you turn down to low the flame
        will be loose instead of a rocket type flame. My flame comes out the top
        about 8"-12". Never light it with the lid on. Never stand over the furnace,
        or with the wind while firing. You may know this already, but I have to say
        it anyway, just in case. Hope this helps
        Clint

      • catboat15@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2002
          In a message dated 4/1/2002 12:21:59 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          andreb@... writes:

          > I tried to melt copper tubing I had laying around the house today.

          Copper tube is almost pure copper. Melts a lot higher than brass or bronze.
          No experience, just some knowledge of the specs for copper tubing.
          John Meacham
          California High Desert
          12 inch Atlas, Minimill, rusty file

        • driggars
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2002
            I think so, I am running a 3/4" burner with a hair dryer. I have been
            melting brass and some copper
            Clint