casting success

  • Ken Retallick
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 21, 2002
      I just finished my first pour of Silicon bronze. And it was a success!!

      Investment casting, using my own home brew investment, i poured 2 propellors, about 2 1/4 in diameter, about 1/16 thick. no vacuum used, still have to finish the vacuum casting unit. One didnt completely fill the mold, but close! it was the second one i poured. little more superheat next time.

      I have to thank everyone in the group for there tips and advice!! Without it i certainly wouldnt have had any sucesss!

      Ken

    • Ray Brandes
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 21, 2002
        Ken and all,
        Yahoo strips photo attachments from your emails before relaying them to
        the group. See the thing at the bottom [Non-text portions...]
        You have to upload your photos to the photos section or put them
        somewhere on the web and then put the URL in your email, ie:
        http://www.ray-vin.com/casting/lostfoam/foampattern.jpg
        So Ken let me know when I can see this screw and congratulations!
        Ray in FLA

        Ken Retallick wrote:

        > I just finished my first pour of Silicon bronze. And it was a success!!
        >
        > Investment casting, using my own home brew investment, i poured 2 propellors, about 2 1/4 in diameter, about 1/16 thick. no vacuum used, still have to finish the vacuum casting unit. One didnt completely fill the mold, but close! it was the second one i poured. little more superheat next time.
        >
        > I have to thank everyone in the group for there tips and advice!! Without it i certainly wouldnt have had any sucesss!
        >
        > Ken

      • whizzerick
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 21, 2002
          Of course, that investment recipe will be posted soon?

          --- In hobbicast@y..., "Ken Retallick" <redline@i...> wrote:
          > I just finished my first pour of Silicon bronze. And it was a success!!
          >
          > Investment casting, using my own home brew investment, i poured 2
          propellors, about 2 1/4 in diameter, about 1/16 thick. no vacuum used, still
          have to finish the vacuum casting unit. One didnt completely fill the mold, but
          close! it was the second one i poured. little more superheat next time.

          > I have to thank everyone in the group for there tips and advice!! Without it
          i certainly wouldnt have had any sucesss!

          > Ken

        • Ken Retallick
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 22, 2002
            Second casting not a sucess.

            molds didnt fill, had holes where they did fill. any ideas? metal too hot
            maybe?? soon i will post pics.

            The recipe has been posted once before.

            Inital coating of wax is with 50/50 plaster and silica flour. then i fill
            the rest with 1/3 plaster 2/3 sand.

            Ken
          • Donald H Locker
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 22, 2002
              Hi, Ken.

              Where did you source your Si bronze? Was it a common source, or did
              you use real ingot?

              Thanks,
              Donald.

            • hhelmen@aol.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 23, 2002
                Ken:
                Are you centrifugal casting the investment or just pouring? I am
                interested in doing some investment casting and I bought a used spring type
                centrifugal machine.

                Hank
              • Ken Retallick
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 25, 2002
                  Hank, im just pouring the metal. I have partly built a vacuum casting unit.
                  I would prefer to centrifugal cast, but im doing many small pieces at once.
                  i can set up the vacuum to pour up to 6 at a time.

                  Ken
                • john grant
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 25, 2002
                    Ken Retallick wrote:

                    > Hank, im just pouring the metal. I have partly built a vacuum casting unit.
                    > I would prefer to centrifugal cast, but im doing many small pieces at once.
                    > i can set up the vacuum to pour up to 6 at a time.

                    Why would you prefer to centrifugal cast? Once I set up the vacuum assist
                    casting method I would never go back to centrifugal casting.

                    John Grant
                  • Ken Retallick
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 26, 2002
                      John,

                      i have been told that centrifugal casting is the better system.
                      Although i am still very new to this!

                      Ken
                    • john grant
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 26, 2002
                        I used a rose bud as a pattern and got a very good casting using vacuum
                        assist casting. It is very much faster than centrifugal casting. No
                        weighing the metal before hand and no spraying metal all over the place when
                        a flask breaks.

                        John Grant

                        Ken Retallick wrote:

                        > John,
                        >
                        > i have been told that centrifugal casting is the better system.
                        > Although i am still very new to this!
                        >
                        > Ken

                      • W. McGown
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 26, 2002
                          John,

                          A couple of questions if you don't mind?

                          Did you use an RTV mold of the rose bud or ????

                          If not was it lost wax or ??
                          and last but not least -- What material did you cast it in?

                          I, too, am interested in casting natural objects. So far just shells
                          using RTV and casting in pewter. I use gravity casting with fair
                          success. Naturally, the larger the item the better the casting and the
                          higher the $$$$ ;-)

                          Thanks and take care

                          Bill

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 26, 2002
                            "W. McGown" wrote:

                            > John,
                            >
                            > A couple of questions if you don't mind?

                            I would not even mind if you ask 6 or 7 questions.

                            > Did you use an RTV mold of the rose bud or ????

                            You would never get the rose bud out of any kind of rubber.

                            > If not was it lost wax or ??

                            Sort of. Lost rose bud.

                            > and last but not least -- What material did you cast it in?

                            Silver.

                            > I, too, am interested in casting natural objects. So far just shells
                            > using RTV and casting in pewter.

                            Investing most any organic material works very well It burns out clean.

                            Shells would not likely burn out.

                            I have seen good results using sea horses as patterns.

                            Unlike using rubber molds with investment casting you only get one casting
                            per mold

                            John Grant
                          • Donald H Locker
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 29, 2002
                              I'm going to try to build a spin caster using an automotive starter
                              motor instead of a spring. I'll let the group know how it works, if
                              it works.

                              Donald.

                              > From: hhelmen@...
                              > Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 09:22:27 EST
                              >
                              > Ken:
                              > Are you centrifugal casting the investment or just pouring? I am
                              > interested in doing some investment casting and I bought a used spring type
                              > centrifugal machine.
                              >

                              > Hank
                            • john grant
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 29, 2002
                                Vacuum assist casting will do everything the centrifugal caster will do and do
                                it much faster

                                Donald H Locker wrote:

                                > I'm going to try to build a spin caster using an automotive starter
                                > motor instead of a spring. I'll let the group know how it works, if
                                > it works.
                                >
                                > Donald.

                              • W. McGown
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 29, 2002
                                  Suggestion: Use a 12vdc starter and hit it with 18-24vdc. For the
                                  short spin cycle the extra voltage will not 'let the smoke out' and it
                                  will accelerate MUCH faster. As a matter of fact the revs might be a
                                  bit higher that you would like.. Careful!

                                  Best of regards

                                  Bill

                                  > I'm going to try to build a spin caster using an automotive starter
                                  > motor instead of a spring. I'll let the group know how it works, if
                                  > it works.
                                  >
                                  > Donald.
                                  >
                                  > > From: hhelmen@...
                                  > > Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 09:22:27 EST
                                  > >
                                  > > Ken:
                                  > > Are you centrifugal casting the investment or just pouring? I
                                  am
                                  > > interested in doing some investment casting and I bought a used
                                  spring type
                                  > > centrifugal machine.
                                  > >

                                  > > Hank

                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                • Dick Morris
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 29, 2002
                                    John,

                                    Just curious. Do you use an accumulator, or just turn on the pump when you
                                    need the vacuum?

                                    Dick Morris
                                    Anchorage, Alaska

                                    At 03:23 PM 3/29/2002 -0800, you wrote:
                                    >Vacuum assist casting will do everything the centrifugal caster will do and do
                                    >it much faster
                                  • Ray Brandes
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 29, 2002
                                      Dick,
                                      I'm not John, but I use a small propane tank in line. It works as an
                                      accumulator, an accumulator for dust and dirt and metal and anything
                                      else that gets sucked in, hopefully it will sit there and not get into
                                      the pump!
                                      Regards, Ray in FL

                                      Dick Morris wrote:

                                      > John,
                                      >
                                      > Just curious. Do you use an accumulator, or just turn on the pump when you
                                      > need the vacuum?
                                      >
                                      > Dick Morris
                                      > Anchorage, Alaska
                                      >
                                      > At 03:23 PM 3/29/2002 -0800, you wrote:
                                      > >Vacuum assist casting will do everything the centrifugal caster will do and do
                                      > >it much faster

                                    • john grant
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 29, 2002
                                        Dick Morris wrote:

                                        > John,
                                        >
                                        > Just curious. Do you use an accumulator, or just turn on the pump when you
                                        > need the vacuum?

                                        It depends on the size of the pump. I had a trap between the flask and the pump
                                        in case the bottom of the flask blew out (that does happen at times).

                                        The trap had a 1/2 cubic foot volume but I think that did not act as much of an
                                        accumulator.

                                        John Grant
                                      • Dick Morris
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Mar 29, 2002
                                          Ray and John,

                                          Thanks for the response. I'll need to dig out my pump and see what the
                                          capacity is. I think the motor is 1/2 hp, but the spec label is on the
                                          pump, in the shed in the back yard, through about 50 feet of two foot deep
                                          snow. I don't need to know the answer that badly!

                                          Dick Morris
                                          Anchorage, Alaska

                                          At 08:24 PM 3/29/2002 -0800, you wrote:

                                          >It depends on the size of the pump. I had a trap between the flask and
                                          >the pump
                                          >in case the bottom of the flask blew out (that does happen at times).
                                          >
                                          >The trap had a 1/2 cubic foot volume but I think that did not act as much
                                          >of an
                                          >accumulator.
                                          >
                                          >John Grant
                                          >

                                          >Please visit our sponsor: Budget Casting Supply
                                          >http://budgetcastingsupply.com/
                                          >
                                          >Files area and list services are at:

                                        • Geoff
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Mar 30, 2002
                                            Hi, i once was an automobile electrician and we frequently used 6 volt
                                            armatures and fields in 12 volt ststems with no problems. Starters were
                                            rarely used for more than ten seconds so that is much more time than needed.
                                            i think [i have never won any prizes for thinking] a 12 volt starter
                                            running on twelve volts will do the job. Many Delco [GM] products had
                                            starters whose internal windings were similar to 6 volt windings and will
                                            supply extra push. You can mail me off list if you have further questions
                                            cyrano@... Just geoff <><

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Mar 30, 2002
                                              If it came with a 1/2 HP motor it will likely do the job.

                                            • catboat15@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Mar 31, 2002
                                                In a message dated 3/30/2002 8:56:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                                                cyrano@... writes:

                                                > Suggestion: Use a 12vdc starter and hit it with 18-24vdc.

                                                As a kid we would get old Model A horns from the local junk yard. They had a
                                                nice 6 volt DC motor in them to make a rachet rotate against a diaphram to
                                                make the "OOGA OOGA" sound. We would plug them into 120 Volt AC lines and
                                                get much louder sounds. They would last a couple of mintues before
                                                dystroying themselfs.

                                              • Donald H Locker
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Apr 1, 2002
                                                  For the service this starter will see, I'm not worried AT ALL about
                                                  heating the motor. The current draw will be miniscule after the thing
                                                  spins up, and the starting current should only be experienced
                                                  momentarily. I'm estimating a mechanical time constant of less than
                                                  1/10 second. I'm hoping for better, though.

                                                  I just picked up a used GM starter on Ebay, and I already have the
                                                  battery. A little fabrication and a friend's flask and we'll see what
                                                  happens!

                                                  Thanks for the thoughts. (Both Bill and Geoff.)

                                                  Donald.